New Build, Which Intel CPU & Other Questions

mikecLA

Weaksauce
The last system I built was an X79 3930K. I never OC'd it, upgraded drives through the years, it's held up well but it's time for Win11 Pro and appropriate hardware.

Primary use, normal productivity stuff but I daytrade and have A LOT of chrome tabs open running tradingview along with a few instances of MetaTrader. It all works under the current rig,
I need to be able to livestream Discord / YouTube for a channel I'm running.
Occasional video editing. I just need to be able to do it. A few seconds or minutes in extra in rendering time is no big deal, since it is infrequent.
Zero gaming.
Will be connecting to a 27 inch 2560x1440p ultrawide monitor.
I would rather not overclock, but don't mind having the capability if the cost difference is negligible. If it knocks substantial $$$ off the cpu & mobo, not having it, then fine. Preference is a chip out of the box that's good enough.

1) What Intel CPU & Cooler is adequate?
2) What MOBO? I need Wifi, DDR4 preferred (due to price), correct PCI to max out a 980Pro NVME (or 2)
3) Is igu enough for the above, or is a graphics card preferred? If so, cheapest I can get by with for Premiere Pro, Camtasia, Live Streaming Discord, and maybe play with DaVinci Resolve. Those are not everyday tasks, daytrading and normal productivity apps are. Would prefer Nvidia, since I'm used to it (GTX 680 has served me well in the X79 build).

Case and the rest I can figure out. Would more than likely end up with a Corsair 4000 Airflow.
Thanks,
It's been a long time since I've visited here, hopefully this is in the right spot since I know I want an Intel chip.

I built a system pretty much exactly like you're describing...

13700k, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro, 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3600, and a MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4. It works great, and I've had no issues with it. I almost bought the Corsair 4000, but ended up with the Lian Li Lancool instead.

I run a 360mm EK AIO, but you don't need anything that fancy as long as you aren't OCing. Pretty much any higher end air cooler or 240mm AIO will work as long as you don't go crazy with the turbo boost limits.

13700K sounds like reasonable choice.

13900K will have slightly higher boost clocks and 8 more e-cores.
Each E-core is faster than your 3930K... actually each E-core it wipes the floor with Sandy Bridge cores.
3930K even OC'd to 5GHz would loose with 0 P-core 6 E-core Raptor Lake 🤯
8 E-cores at 4.3GHz is roughly performance of Core i7 9700. Actually slightly higher MT performance but lower ST performance and higher latency.
That said it would make more sense to recommend 13900K if you said you run multiple VM's rather than Chrome tabs. Chrome uses more memory than CPU time.

Other option, cheaper is Core i5 13600K. It really is almost 13700K but with two less P-cores and artificially lowered clocks.
I myself went for i5 because of traumatic experiences cooling Core i9 9900K.

BTW. If you do not like Windows 11 round corners (and why would anyone really?) there is option to disable them in ExplorerPatcher https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/releases
It is like the best application for Windows 11 and also allows disabling these stupid new context menus which necessitate to click to show old menus just to be able to use other programs.
You can literally make Windows 11 look exactly like Windows 10 including Win10 style volume control and few other things. It is like you never upgraded to Windows 11 😎

13700K sounds like reasonable choice.

13900K will have slightly higher boost clocks and 8 more e-cores.
Each E-core is faster than your 3930K... actually each E-core it wipes the floor with Sandy Bridge cores.
3930K even OC'd to 5GHz would loose with 0 P-core 6 E-core Raptor Lake 🤯
8 E-cores at 4.3GHz is roughly performance of Core i7 9700. Actually slightly higher MT performance but lower ST performance and higher latency.
That said it would make more sense to recommend 13900K if you said you run multiple VM's rather than Chrome tabs. Chrome uses more memory than CPU time.

Other option, cheaper is Core i5 13600K. It really is almost 13700K but with two less P-cores and artificially lowered clocks.
I myself went for i5 because of traumatic experiences cooling Core i9 9900K.

BTW. If you do not like Windows 11 round corners (and why would anyone really?) there is option to disable them in ExplorerPatcher https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/releases
It is like the best application for Windows 11 and also allows disabling these stupid new context menus which necessitate to click to show old menus just to be able to use other programs.
You can literally make Windows 11 look exactly like Windows 10 including Win10 style volume control and few other things. It is like you never upgraded to Windows 11 😎
I'd think nearly anything would blow away a 10+ year old system. The biggest leap will likely come from NVME drives instead of the SATA SSD OS and SSD RAID I'm using right now. Back in those days, you needed like 6 drives in RAID 0 to match NVME speeds...

There isn't much of a price difference between the i5 & i7, it's mainly cooling & whatever else is required to support the chip as opposed to an i5. If the H100i or similar would still work, that's the route I would go. I don't plan on OC'ing it. i-9 seems like overkill. In fact, I was contemplating 11 or 12th gen over 13th, but researched the advancements vs cost savings of older gen & decided against it. If the only added cost is the cpu itself for an i7 over i5, 13700K sounds like a no-brainer.

VM's? No, not running on the machine itself, although I do remote into my Server which requires next to nothing as far as resources on the local machine.

As for Windows 11, what I really cannot stand is the MS browser taking over my system. It launches after every log in (resumption from sleep, etc...) and occasionally bugs me about changing it to the default. I've searched everywhere to try and get rid of this behavior and can't. For that reason alone, I may want Win 10 instead of 11. This is on another machine.

I built a system pretty much exactly like you're describing...

13700k, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro, 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3600, and a MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4. It works great, and I've had no issues with it. I almost bought the Corsair 4000, but ended up with the Lian Li Lancool instead.

I run a 360mm EK AIO, but you don't need anything that fancy as long as you aren't OCing. Pretty much any higher end air cooler or 240mm AIO will work as long as you don't go crazy with the turbo boost limits.
That sounds like what I want.
What about video? What card are you using & main purpose for your rig?
I do zero gaming but occasional video editing & plan to livestream my trading channel, which is basically screen sharing through discord.

That sounds like what I want.
What about video? What card are you using & main purpose for your rig?
I do zero gaming but occasional video editing & plan to livestream my trading channel, which is basically screen sharing through discord.

I have a 3080Ti. Honestly you could try onboard video and then make a decision.

Back