thegreywizard

Limp Gawd
So I have a new build:

Asrock X99m
Intel 5820k
16gb Super Luce ram
EVGA 970
Samsung 850 Pro SSD

I figured this could handle anything I threw at it, and for the most part I was right.

But any video editing software destroys my computers speed and is super laggy

Only thing I could think of is that there isn't enough memory? I figured even 16gb was plenty

Would I notice a major improvement in computer speed during video editing if I bumped it to 32gb?

If that's not it, any suggestions or tips on how to improvement my computers functional ability when doing video editing?

I should also mention that my 5820k is not yet overclocked. I have all of the parts for watercooling, just not ready to set that side of things up yet so I'm waiting to OC it until I have my full waterloop up and running.

Last edited:
check task manager while your doing video editing to see how much your using.

what are you doing that crawls? 4k video? lot of layers and color correction? or basic stuff? is gpu acceleration on and working?

check task manager while your doing video editing to see how much your using.
I haven't checked it but will try later tonight when I give it a go again.

what are you doing that crawls? 4k video? lot of layers and color correction? or basic stuff? is gpu acceleration on and working?

I have just been trying basic stuff, I am new to this so I may need to tweak things like you suggest. How/where do I turn on/adjust gpu acceleration? I'm running a EVGA 970

What resolution are you editing at and what is your monitor resolution?

I'm just trying 1080p and I am now running a 65" 4k tv, but I haven't tried it on this new tv setup yet. Suggestions on settings to help smooth things out?

Thanks guys, I'm a newb to video editing so any help is greatly appreciated.

Admittedly I haven't video edited in a long time, but if your CONTENT is 1080p, your setup should have no trouble at all with it.
Try running a graphical benchmark like Unigine Heaven and compare the result to what others have scored for the 970 just to check your VGA is performing as it should.

I routinely exceed 16 GB in my machine with a combination of gaming, web development, and graphic design - but no video editing. Often times I am between 14-17 GB of in-use memory and another 5-10 GB of "standby". 32 GB would probably be wise to have. My next upgrade, possibly later this year to an LGA2066 or something similar, will probably have 64 of 128 as I'm seeing usage creep up on my current 32. 4 years ago when I had 32 GB, most people were saying that 8 GB is more than enough for anything - lol. These days with higher resolutions (4k & 8K) and ultra high def textures, and other such goodies memory usage across the whole system is ballooning.

Back