New build, two questions

sigmend

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm building a new computer for myself and I'm a bit confused on a few topics.
I'm planning on getting a Q6600 which as I understand it is a 64 bit processor. I was thinking of getting Asus P5W DH deluxe for my motherboard, but I'm a little retarded and can't tell if it supports 64 bit. I went out to Intel's website and looked up the 975X chipset and it says it supports it, but I'm a little cautious as it doesn't explicitly state that the motherboard does.
I believe I need a 64 bit motherboard because I'm going to have a greater than 2TB disk array which would require use of LBA64, which in turn requires me to use a 64bit Windows. (I can't use Linux with kernel 2.6.xx due to software constraints)

My other concern involves PCIE 16x and 8x lanes. The motherboard I am looking at has two 16x slots, which I can both run in 8x mode.
I plan to buy a graphics card (Undetermined at this point) and a Areca ARC-1280 which is an 8x device. Most graphics cards I am looking at are 16x devices, but I only have an 8x slot available. As I understand it most devices should be able to negotiate to whatever it is plugged into. Is this correct? Can I buy a 16x device and slap it into a 16x slot but 8x bandwidth?

The Asus P5W DH Deluxe is old, so don't bother with it. The newer X38 and P35 boards are much better in terms of reliability/stability. What features of the P5W DH Dlx attracted you to it? The dual PCI-E slots? If so, look into some X38 boards, like the Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4, or Asus P5E.

What size monitor do you have?

How many drives do you plan on running off of the Areca card?

Yes, you could run a PCI-E graphics card in a PCI-E 16x sized slot while it performs in 8x mode.

The dual PCIE slots and price originally attracted me to it, but I'll take a look at the boards you mentioned, thanks. The GA-EX38-DS4 looks to be in my price range and feature set.
I'm going to end up buying a greater than 42" LCD TV running at 1080P. I currently have no idea what graphics card to get, thats my next line of research.
My current plan is to buy 3 750GB drives to start and add one additional drive each month. 21 Month upgrade path; Number of drives is 3+1N where in is months since original build.

Back