New build turns on for one second and then turns off.

rboarderi

n00b
I just built a new computer and when I go to power it on it turns on for a second and then shuts off. All of the fans spin and seems like it will boot but does not. I took the motherboard out of the case and just put one stick of ram, video card and CPU with heat sink and fan and plugged it into just the power supply, same thing happens when I do that.

When taking out the board I also noticed that a few of the solder dots which touch the standoffs on the case are missing, would this by any chance be the problem? Here are a few pictures of what I am talking about:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rboarderi/IMG_6812.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rboarderi/IMG_6811.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rboarderi/IMG_6810.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rboarderi/IMG_6809.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rboarderi/IMG_6808.jpg

My next step is to try a new power supply and see if that is the issue but I am guessing it is not. The power LED on the motherboard is on at all times. If anyone could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it. I would rather not wait for an RMA on something as I would not have a computer in the interim.

Here are my systems specs:
E8400 Processor
EVGA 8800GT Video Card
OCZ SLI Ready 2 x 2 GB DDR2 800
Antec Earthwatts 500 watt power supply
Asus P5N-D Motherboard
Samsung 20x DVD burner
Western Digital 400GB hard drive
Cooler Master 690

Sounds like something doesn't have a proper connection.
CPU properly seated in it's socket well?
RAM seated well?
Videocard seated well?
All power connectors making a good connection?

24pin (you do have a full 24pin connector right?)!
CPU 4pin yellow and black motherboard connector, or even 8pin if motherboard has it!
video card 6/8pin power connector!
CPU fan attached to CPU_Fan motherboard header? If motherboard can not detect CPU fan speed may auto shut off to protect itself...maybe? Not sure on that one.

hrmmmm. That EarthWatts should have enough power, I wouldn't suspect it unless it came DOA, but doesn't sound like it.

The motherboard LED you probably see being on "at all times" is likely the 5v standby power LED.

I can't view your pictures from work, so can't help you there. But judging from this description "solder dots which touch the standoffs on the case are missing," I don't think it's an issue at all. Probably intentional. The layout engineer probably didn't want every mounting hold connected to earth ground and so didn't design it to have contact points there. Just a guess though.

Last night I reseated the ram, cpu, video card, heat sink. The power connections are correct and the heat sink fan is plugged into the right place.

you could jump start the psu and check your voltages with a dmm just to make sure nothing is horribly wrong. tried clearing your cmos via jumper? other than that, I'm kinda stumped.

The two things that come to mind are:
1) CPU overheat protection kicking in due to poor HSF to CPU contact OR fan not being sensed by mobo;
2) On/off switch on case is sticking (this usually results in shutdown after 5 seconds tho).

One other thing to check is overheat protection settings in BIOS although a CMOS clear should correct that (can you even get into BIOS???)

Good Luck!!

Usually that is a problem with the system board and/or power supply. In this case, I'd lean more towards the system board, as a problem with the power supply usually takes a little more time to develop.

1) CPU overheat protection kicking in due to poor HSF to CPU contact OR fan not being sensed by mobo;
2) On/off switch on case is sticking (this usually results in shutdown after 5 seconds tho).

One other thing to check is overheat protection settings in BIOS although a CMOS clear should correct that (can you even get into BIOS???)

Good Luck!!

No I can't even get into the bios, it powers off literally 1 second after it powers on. The fan is indeed plugged in right on the motherboard. Should a 500w power supply be fine for my system?

No I can't even get into the bios, it powers off literally 1 second after it powers on. The fan is indeed plugged in right on the motherboard. Should a 500w power supply be fine for my system?
Yes, 500W, that Earthwatts is plenty of power for your system.

Again, *IF* you have a failed component, it's more likely the motherboard than your power supply in my opinion based on the description of your issue.

Good Luck!!

I thought about this, but you'd have to pretty much not have the heatsink touching at all. the switch is a good thing to check though. if you've got a dmm you can check the switch out easily enough.

You've got the proper spacers/standoffs between the motherboard and the case, right?

It could be shorting.

You've got the proper spacers/standoffs between the motherboard and the case, right?

It could be shorting.

I am using the standoffs that came with the case. It can't be shorting though because it has the same symptoms even when the motherboard is out of the case an laying on a cardboard box.

Do you have another motherboard to test this wolfdale on? I had the same problem in the past with my old xps shuttle computer and it turned out it was a bad motherboard, had to RMA it.

I checked the ASUS site and your mobo should support the CPU.

Going back and looking at your pictures again, I have to agree that something looks odd with those standoff holes. It looks as if some of the solder has been knocked off. There may indeed be a grounding problem OR the board may have been handled roughly and sustained some other damage. You seem to have addressed other possible issues. If this is a new board, I would consider trying for an RMA.

Your other option would be to try your CPU, GPU, Ram, HDD, etc. in another board to see if they are working properly. That might help confirm it is the mobo.

Don't give up!

Back