New build, turns on but nothing comes on screen and there is orange mobo light that is supposedly telling me something.

It is no luck. I tried to clean the slots but it didn't help. I also updated the BIOS to the latest version. No Go. The RAM slots are just dead. I'm letting him return the board. Thanks for all the help.

It should in theory work in either gray or black channels, but some board are picky with what slots work when only 2 of 4 are populated. The manual reccomends the gray slots for 2 dims.

Screenshot_20220728-095216_Drive.jpg

It should in theory work in either gray or black channels, but some board are picky with what slots work when only 2 of 4 are populated. The manual reccomends the gray slots for 2 dims.

View attachment 495830
Yeah I know. If things were okay, it should have just worked the very first time I installed it (In the black slots) but it didn't, hence this whole thread. I put the mobo serial number in asus support website and it still has two years warranty although my friend has had it for about a year which is nice. I think it came with 3 years warranty. How is the RMA process with ASUS? Haven't done it myself before. Smooth and seamless?

How is the RMA process with ASUS? Haven't done it myself before. Smooth and seamless?

Some people say asus rma support sucks. I have not had recent experience withthem but there has been threads complaining about it in the past that i recall.

It has been some time I know, but my friend received the replacement mobo. I found time to re-build his machine today. It worked right away with no problems. So that's good at least. However, when I tried to installed windows 10, it wouldn't let me. The windows logo will appear and the dots will start circling and it will freeze there. I tried different USB ports. I suspected this has to do with secure boot and UEFI mode so I played with that in the BIOS but it didn't help. You can choose between other OS or windows UEFI mode. I used both but it didn't work. I think if I make a new bootable flash drive and select windows UEFI mode, it will work. I don't know how old the flash drive I used.

What else could be a reason for not being able to boot into a bootable windows media?

It has been some time I know, but my friend received the replacement mobo. I found time to re-build his machine today. It worked right away with no problems. So that's good at least. However, when I tried to installed windows 10, it wouldn't let me. The windows logo will appear and the dots will start circling and it will freeze there. I tried different USB ports. I suspected this has to do with secure boot and UEFI mode so I played with that in the BIOS but it didn't help. You can choose between other OS or windows UEFI mode. I used both but it didn't work. I think if I make a new bootable flash drive and select windows UEFI mode, it will work. I don't know how old the flash drive I used.

What else could be a reason for not being able to boot into a bootable windows media?
Make sure only the boot drive is installed. Disconnect other drives.

make a new bootable flash drive
^^do that, on a new/different usb. did you use ms's creation tool?
and waht dookey just said, disconnect extra drives.

Hmmmm. I remember being able to install windows into the bootable drive while other drives were present. There is one 4TB spinner. I 'll disconnect it.

Don't remember if it was ms creation tool or rufus, but fine I'll make a new one. Things are picky nowadays it seems. Will report back tomorrow. Sleep time now.

So I Made a new bootable flash drive and it worked (Didn't disconnect the other drive), but the drives used MBR instead of GPT. I discovered this after installing windows. Now I have to convert:unsure:

I struggled a bit. Let's see if I can put it in few lines. So I had to look for a software that will convert from MBR to GPT without losing data since I already installed windows. I did that and converted the OS drive to GPT. However, the computer wouldn't boot afterwards (I made sure I selected windows UEFI mode) and gave a GPT header corruption error and suggested that I change the SATA mode or use header auto recovery feature found somewhere in boot configuration in the BIOS. I played a little with the BIOS but nothing really helped. But if you actually do a boot override and choose the OS ssd, it will get me into my windows installation. I then looked for this header recovery option and enabled it. It booted fine after that but there is one symptom that I don't like !! You know these small little partitions that accompany your main OS partition in the boot disk? System reserved and recovery partition? They appeared in my computer as D: and E: drives. Why would this happen I don't know. They have some files which are hidden but still you can unhide them and accidentally delete them. I don't know how to make them disappear.

I'm surprised we are this late in the game and my windows installation will default to MBR. Why? The BIOS supports UEFI and the OS supports GPT and secure boot or whatever it is. Why MBR? I'm not feeling good about this installation. I loaded drivers and some programs for my friend but I might just do it all over and start from zero. I think I'll use macrium reflect to image whatever I have now and load it later. Will see.

I would reinstall and unplug the other drive. MBR only supports up to 2tb, that's why you see all the other drive letters. Also, you don't have to use external software to convert MBR to GPT. You can do it in Windows.

Install on OS drive, get things going well under GPT and then hookup the other drive and use disk management to enable it as gpt.

I would reinstall and unplug the other drive. MBR only supports up to 2tb, that's why you see all the other drive letters. Also, you don't have to use external software to convert MBR to GPT. You can do it in Windows.

Install on OS drive, get things going well under GPT and then hookup the other drive and use disk management to enable it as gpt.
In windows you can convert to gpt but you will lose data. All disks are now gpt but I see the system reserved and recovery partitions present in my OS drive as drive letters although they shouldn't be. I have never seen this before. And it only happened after I used the gpt header recovery feature.

In windows you can convert to gpt but you will lose data. All disks are now gpt but I see the system reserved and recovery partitions present in my OS drive as drive letters although they shouldn't be. I have never seen this before. And it only happened after I used the gpt header recovery feature.
Not true. I've converted my drive a couple of times with no data loss.

If I recall correctly, this is how I did it.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

Last edited:
Not true. I've converted my drive a couple of times with no data loss.

If I recall correctly, this is how I did it.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt
Well, I already converted now. I was referring to the diskpart tool when I said you will lose data. Didn't know about this new mbr-to-gpt tool. If you search in google how to convert to gpt without losing data, you will get results showing the use of external software. You learn a thing everyday. The question now is how to hide the system and recovery partitions so that the user don't mess with them.

remember how we said to disconnect other drives? it probably saw the old one was mbr and just rolled with it.
Maybe, but supposedly both disks weren't initialized because it is a new build with new fresh disks.

Maybe, but supposedly both disks weren't initialized because it is a new build with new fresh disks.
The installer will see both drives. When it does it puts crap all over both. That's why I only put the boot drive in during fresh install. Afterwards I hook up the additional drive and enable/initialize with disk management in Windows.

The installer will see both drives. When it does it puts crap all over both. That's why I only put the boot drive in during fresh install. Afterwards I hook up the additional drive and enable/initialize with disk management in Windows.
I can't agree more with you because that is what happened in this case. I now fully understand why you said disconnect all other drives. Thanks.

So other than starting all over again, do you know of a way to get rid of the system and recovery partitions being visible in My PC? I might just leave it as is and call it a day but I'm afraid he will accidentally delete files from them which will ruin his system and make him call me for support.

I can't agree more with you because that is what happened in this case. I now fully understand why you said disconnect all other drives. Thanks.

So other than starting all over again, do you know of a way to get rid of the system and recovery partitions being visible in My PC? I might just leave it as is and call it a day but I'm afraid he will accidentally delete files from them which will ruin his system and make him call me for support.
You really should just blow things away and start over. Windows installs go pretty quickly.

That^^^ and when you ask for advise, heed it... glad youre on the path to a working system.

Okay so I nuked it and started all over. The abnormal partitions are gone. All is well now. And man the system is just fast!

Thanks again.

So I was installing appz and checking everything is fine before giving it to my friend. I installed HDTune and measured the performance of the samsung 980 Pro. I got like 1600 MB/s. That's when I realized I installed the ssd into the wrong slot. I thought they were all the same but when I checked the mobo manual I found that two were PCIe 3.0 and one is PCIe 4.0. I had to switch the ssd, and what a hassle it was. The PCIe 4.0 slot was hidden under the huge cpu cooler. I had to remove the video card. I was barely able to install it without removing the cpu cooler. But guess what? I turned it on and measured it again and only got 2000 MB/s while I should get 7000 MB/s I think. What else could be wrong? It is a 4x slot. All drivers should be fine. Something to configure in BIOS?

But I remember my two samsung 960 pros in RAID0 scored higher than 3000 MB/s back in 2017. Could it be that the new samsung 980 pro is slower than two 960 pro in RAID0??? See my sig.

If you say so....then it is fine I guess. I was just checking everything is configured correctly. Thanks to all who helped me in this thread. I'll hand in the computer to my friend.

If this was my system, then I would have done everything to squeeze out every bit of performance out of it, but since it is for a friend I'll let it go. Just felt like saying this:)

Back