New build time, time to downsize (Z370 micro atx).

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Staff member
Hey [H], it's been a long time since my last full build ('11) but I'm finally ready. My current 2600K setup is starting to have issues, which I attribute to it's open air case.

I'm looking to downsize a little. I've always had full sized atx builds and am now thinking that a micro atx would fit the bill just right. I'm looking to do a build with an i8700K, GTX 1080 and a full sized PSU. I'd love do a build using a desktop case but I can't seem to find any that take full size PSU's. So having said all of that what does the [H] recommend for micro atx boards?

Additional information
1. I'm not planning on doing any extreme overclocking, minor at best.
2. Not looking for SLI
3. No more than 3 HDD's needed
4. Don't care about RGB lights or having 100 fan headers
5. Would prefer 4 RAM slots but I can deal with 2
6. Don't care about onboard wifi
7. Having onboard M.2 slots would be cool
8. I could be swayed to move to Mini ITX if there are any benefits
9. I guess If I were to get a good Mini ITX board recommendation I might also be swayed to get a smaller PSU

Thanks [H] :D

Last edited:
Budget - ASRock Z370M Pro4
Midrange - MSI Z370M Mortar
Upper - MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC or Asus Strix Z370-G
Unsure - eVGA Z370 Micro ATX (E375-KR)

...I think I like the Mortar the best, since the PCIe slot layout is spread out for best cooling between multi-GPU and they both are 16x (but I'm not sure if it will do 8x + 8x SLI, as I can't find that info anywhere). I no longer use mGPU, but I like the idea of having the best possible solution in case I ever go back down that road again.

You'll love the downsize, I just went to ITX but the case is basically matx sized. Love it

I just built an itx system because I had most of the parts all I needed was a mobo and case... I landed on an MSI Z270i gaming carbon pro ac and love it. I almost got the Asus but they have no internal USB 2.0 header and I am running a corsair lighting node pro - you can run an adapter around to outside of the case but it's cleaner with an internal adapter. Anyways.. Anyways.. the MSI is really nice. Not the most usb ports on the back but you can expand that with hubs and such.. I am building another on Z77 Asrock next because again I have most of the parts.. I love these itx builds.

I just built an itx system. Ryzen 1700, Asus b350 strix(has 2 m.2 slots), 32gb Corsair ddr4 2800, Asus GTX 1070 Strix, 1tb boot drive, 2tb Seagate Firecuda game drive, a 1 TB WD Black Video drive, 240mm Deepcool AIO cooler, and a Corsair cx650m psu. All in a Fractal Design Define Nano S. My favorite build so far. Since your going Intel id get the asus strix itx board and 8700k.

Attachments

• DA08ED32-E565-4C02-AC2C-F04B07DED503.jpeg
    DA08ED32-E565-4C02-AC2C-F04B07DED503.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 18
Are we posting pics of our systems? Cause I’ll post one. Or two. ;)

But yes the Asus STRIX does seem to be the best with dual m.2 goodness and a very solid power delivery system. The lack of an internal usb2 header is weird but can be solved pretty easy if needed. I was at frys though and had buy now have now fever.. the MSI is no slouch though.. I like it a lot.

5905F744-A090-40CF-A90A-869E6AE3DAFB.jpeg 1E5C090A-C90D-4D03-9681-7BEE7383D996.jpeg

Last edited:
Are we posting pics of our systems? Cause I’ll post one. Or two. ;)

But yes the Asus STRIX does seem to be the best with dual m.2 goodness and a very solid power delivery system. The lack of an internal usb2 header is weird but can be solved pretty easy if needed. I was at frys though and had buy now have now fever.. the MSI is no slouch though.. I like it a lot.

View attachment 51722 View attachment 51723

Where is the cable manangement man?
216282.fdc489fe16e1932e24e01584cf16f492.1600.jpg

I haven't seen too many good MATX cases they all seem to be about the size of a mid tower. Then you get MATX sized ITX cases like the Manta or Evolve Shift.

The drawback on ITX that I've seen is minimal fan headers and CPU cooler clearance. The core V1 is a nice trade off in size and compatability. I'd like to see them upgrade it. A core V21 would be a good choice for MATX if you don't mind a cube.

Asrock is pretty good when it comes to design small form stuff, their ITX lines are damn good.

MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC or Asus Strix Z370-G

These are the two I'm trying to decide between right now. The features of both are very comparable. The MSI is just a touch cheaper.

...I think I like the Mortar the best, since the PCIe slot layout is spread out for best cooling between multi-GPU and they both are 16x (but I'm not sure if it will do 8x + 8x SLI, as I can't find that info anywhere).

It will not. Second slot is strictly x4.

Back