New Build. Thoughts? Ideas?

dadi38

Limp Gawd
The V1 cooler is going on my sig build so I thought since I've been rocking the Q6600 for about 7 years now I thought it was about time for a new build. I'll be using this for my htpc and gaming. Basically all around media center. And now, the specs;

Corsair 16 gig 1600 vengeance ram
Asus z87 pro lga1150
Intel core i5 4670
Thermaltake Mk1 Chaser case
Corsair Enthusiast TX-850
Hauppauge hvr-1250
Asus vsh247-p 23inch 1080p monitor
EVGA GTX-780 3gig video
Cooler master n520
2 1 gig drives for windows and Ubuntu
2 3 gig drives for media etc.

I'd like to have Bluetooth for the htpc aspect. I'm also considering this as a steam machine once the bugs in SteamOS get worked out.

Just to start. May add or replace drives as needed. Thoughts? Opinions? Rants? :D

Last edited:
Please answer the sticky "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST" before we can help you there.

Though right off the bat the i5-4670 is a poor value relative to its lower-numbered siblings such as the i5-4570: The non-K i5-4670 costs way too close to its overclockable K version for its own good.

Also, which Corsair Vengeance? The standard CMZ series or the low-profile CML series? If the former, the extremely tall RAM heatsinks will severely interfere with the installation of a good third-party cooler should you opt for the i5-4670K.

Thanks for the reply. I believe the ram was the cmz, the had tall heat sinks on them. I'll look at the 4570. I'm not planning on oc'ing.

You need to answer the rest of the sticky questions E4g1e referenced earlier:

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

For question 5, please give us the brand names and model numbers of all of your parts.

One more question: Since this system will serve as an HTPC, would you prefer a smaller (micro ATX or mini ITX) form factor?

Your PSU is overkill. You should be more than fine with a 650 watt PSU.

My budget is around 1500 give or take. I was up around 2 grand with a core i7 extreme 2100 but thought that was overkill. I'm in the U.S. Up in New England. I could reuse my old case and power supply but it's going on 7 years and don't know if the power supply will last. They're both from Ultra. Old supply is 600 watts. I don't remember the exact model. Full tower case. I have an old gateway hd2200 I think? I'll need a new one as it only goes to 1680x1050. I don't need anything extreme as I will be using my 55 inch samsung when in htpc mode. Looking to pull the trigger in the next 2 months. As mentioned earlier, I want a good mb that can handle the GTX 780 with pcie 3.0. I'll need Bluetooth for the htpc. No sli. I don't plan on overclocking. I wanted a full tower to add drives as I might need them. Sort of a nas setup. With at least 16 gig of memory. I have windows 7 64 bit. I'll put that on one drive and install Ubuntu on another and have it boot to whichever I want to use. Will eventually try out SteamOS on it if I can. Was thinking maybe a 750 watt psu. I don't want it to struggle. I'll look into the smaller cases.

Looking to pull the trigger in the next 2 months.
You're planning a bit too early: Our parts recommendations sometimes changes weekly due to changing pricing and availability. If you want an up-to-date build, please come back when you're 1-2 weeks away from buying the parts.

I could reuse my old case and power supply but it's going on 7 years and don't know if the power supply will last. They're both from Ultra. Old supply is 600 watts. I don't remember the exact model. .
They're both Ultra so they're not good. Just get a new case and PSU then.

As mentioned earlier, I want a good mb that can handle the GTX 780 with pcie 3.0. I'll need Bluetooth for the htpc. No sli. I don't plan on overclocking.
Then that motherboard is pure overkill. Based on the above, you'll be fine with this mobo:
$80 - ASRock H87M Pro4 Intel H87 mATX Motherboard

Then grab a cheap bluetooth adapter and you're set.
I wanted a full tower to add drives as I might need them. Sort of a nas setup.
Generally, not a good idea to mix the NAS, HTPC, and gamign PC together as those have somewhat mutually exclusive requirements and such. Especially for the NAS aspect.
I have windows 7 64 bit. I'll put that on one drive and install Ubuntu on another and have it boot to whichever I want to use. Will eventually try out SteamOS on it if I can.
Which edition? Home Premium? Pro? etc.
Was thinking maybe a 750 watt psu.
You won't need it. You've just said you're not doing SLI. A massively overclocked 3770K with an overclocked GTX 780 drew around 430W max. So you'll be fine with a solid 550W to 650W PSU.

After much debating I tried to make my build as future proof as possible, if there is such a thing. Final specs that should be here today:

Asrock atx 1150 Etreme3 mb
Thermaltake Overseer rx
Asus 23.6 inch full HD monitor
I5 4670k
16 gb Corsair XMS3 ram 1600
Samsung 240 gb evo ssd
Hauppauge 2250 MCE
2 Seagate 3tb Sata HDDs
Gigabyte GTX770 OC Windforce
Windows 8.1

Final price just under 2K.
I bought a new CPU cooler for my Q6600 and will use that as my HTPC. :D

Why did you buy the i5-4670K? Does that mean you plan on overclocking?

What about the power supply?

Are the hard drives for the gaming PC or the HTPC? Are you still trying to combine a NAS into one of those systems?

Which ASRock motherboard did you choose? This one?

Yes, I may overclock. The power supply is a Corsair GS700. It got a good review. I'll put one drive in the new system and one drive in the HTPC. And yes, the motherboard was the Z87 Extreme3

Yes, I may overclock. The power supply is a Corsair GS700. It got a good review. I'll put one drive in the new system and one drive in the HTPC. And yes, the motherboard was the Z87 Extreme3

Unless you paid like $70 for that PSU, you more than likely overpaid for it since there are significantly higher quality PSUs than that Corsair in that price range.

Power supply was 80 shipped. One review I read said it had really solid voltage regulation. That's why I got it. There are better ps's out there, but I've seen more expensive ones where the voltage was all over the place ( Thermaltake).

Back