New build should I wait for sandy

Guyverunit1

Weaksauce
I was pricing a new build around 900 bucks for blowing part of my tax return and was looking at an i5-2500 sandy and an asus pro board p67 for it but they have been pulled because of the degradation problem. I am now looking at going with an phenom x6 and asus board with a 5870 the board I want comes with on board 4870 or something like that so I was thinking hmmm hybrid crossfire for a little bump. I was wondering what are your guys thoughts on this and the whole sandy bridge issue.

Hybrid crossfire sucks in all honesty & maybe answer some of the questions in the sticky suchs as what you will be doing with the PC. In all honesty its gong to take sandy bridge a couple of months maybe longer to get everything worked out.

Im not patient enough to wait a few months myself so im building a phenom build.

I was pricing a new build around 900 bucks for blowing part of my tax return and was looking at an i5-2500 sandy and an asus pro board p67 for it but they have been pulled because of the degradation problem. I am now looking at going with an phenom x6 and asus board with a 5870 the board I want comes with on board 4870 or something like that so I was thinking hmmm hybrid crossfire for a little bump. I was wondering what are your guys thoughts on this and the whole sandy bridge issue.

I would not get a Phenom II X6 CPU at all at this point. This is because the ones currently on the market deliver relatively low overall performance for relatively high prices (in this case, the X6's perform only roughly as well as a first-generation, pre-Sandy Bridge i5 or i7 that sells for the same price). In addition, AMD is coming out in a few months with a new Bulldozer architecture which will require a new AM3+ motherboard (which will accept the older AM3 CPUs, but the current AM3 motherboards will not be compatible at all with the new CPUs).

Also, I would not purchase a 5870 at this point, for that matter: It is an older-generation GPU, and uses more power than newer-generation parts. That makes it less likely to be supported down the road: AMD's newest drivers now no longer support anything older than the HD 2xxx series GPUs. Eventually, some time next year AMD may no longer support anything older than the HD 5xxx series GPUs with new drivers.

Im not a huge gamer but that is mainly what I will be doing and I thought so and I wouldn't wait that long either so I will most likely go for the phenom build . I am only doing it because the board comes with the card built in maybe I will have another look and see what else there is thanks.

My Viewpoint is as it has always been.. Dont wait more thena couple weeks for new tech.. There will always be new tech & By the time sandy is back to the mass's Bulldozer will be right around the corner & then ivy Bridge (isnt that intel's next).. So if you ahve the cash to do it now, then I say do it now. Nothing else new in the next couple weeks except maybe the 6990.

Its a hard choice because either way you have to wait for SB or Bulldozer. I do agree with E4g1e todays current AMD CPUs are at a slower performance for the money but like I said do you want to wait or not?

I agree I have been with the same core 2 duo and sli 9800's for the last 4 years or so not a hard core gamer so a big step like this should last me for awhile. Thanks everyone for all your input.

Im not a huge gamer but that is mainly what I will be doing and I thought so and I wouldn't wait that long either so I will most likely go for the phenom build . I am only doing it because the board comes with the card built in maybe I will have another look and see what else there is thanks.
If gaming is your primary usage and if you are planning on overclocking, then your best bet would be the Core i5 750/760 CPUs: At stock the Core i5 750/760 already beats the Phenom II X6 CPUs in gaming. Once OC'd they're a serious improvement over the Phenom II X6.

However, if you live near a Microcenter, then definitely pick up the Phenom II X6 CPU + mobo combo here:
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

Back