New Build Questions

Saki630

Limp Gawd
I was not sure where to post this, but I figure this is where my question goes! Remove/delete if its not ok.

I want a new PC system this summer due to HD failure, my 7970 not posting, 144hz gaming, and overal low system performance.

My first choice was DAN's case but I cant hold 2 6TB 3.5" drives. Therefore it will be NCASE v5.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($346.90 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.19 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste ($10.88 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370N WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.77 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($191.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($196.01 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB FTW2 GAMING iCX Video Card ($509.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($114.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A9x14 29.7 CFM 92mm Fan ($15.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x15 PWM 55.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2457.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-11 05:55 EDT-0400

The final price will be less than $3k including the case and silicon lottery 8700k. I can subtract probably $100 cpu, $100gpu, $100 going to 250gb m.2, $50 on fans/thermal paste/ram. I dont think we can do better.

Currently:
1) I'm asking for a 1080ti on the forums (do I just get a 1070ti to save money)
2) 8700k used vs. 8700k 5ghz from silicon lottery (Does the 5ghz vs. 4.5ghz not matter at 1440p 144hz?)
3) I haven't built in a small case. (is the mobo able to handle OC, will I temp throttle, do i need custom cable length)
4) Am I better off with AMD? Isnt a 2700x + motherboard only about $100 less?
5) 8086k is a trap, I dont need cores to render or multitask in VMs, New GPU's releasing probably in 6months, no relavent 1440p 144hz monitors besides Acer or Asus, 4k 144hz cant be rendered yet and 27inch is too small.

1 1080Ti for sure at 144Hz/1440p

2 My experience with the 8700k at stock and at 4.9GHz, 144Hz, is that the gains aren't really that noticeable. Running stock seems to be fine for 144Hz/1440p.

3a) The Ncase should be fine with your CPU and if you got with a 1070Ti, you should be pretty much good to go with regards to temps. If you opt for a 1080Ti, you'll want to get the biggest one that will fit in the case or a model with an AIO so you can have reasonable temp and noise profile. I used to have an EVGA GTX ACX 1080 in mine and it was a bit loud for me. Ditto for the Titan Xp with a Raijintek Morpheus. Had to step up to a larger case to get it down. I think an AIO might solve that issue.

3b) Cabling with the SF600, as I've said before in a few other posts, can be painful. When I first got my Ncase, SF600 setup, I thought eh, the cables aren't too bad -- until I went to plug in the SATA power cables and thought holy ffffffffffffff, I'm gonna break the drives' connectors plugging these things in. Plus the orientation is wrong and they're very stiff. I never had such a sweaty moment building a PC before. I went the custom cable route via Cablemod, spent $100+ was happy with the cables, but once I stepped up to the Titan Xp, I needed another PCIE power. Did not want to spend more money and wait for them to make me the extra cable, so I tried Corsair CP-8920202 cable kit and I can't recommend it enough. They're perfectly priced, flexible enough to route, properly oriented, easy to shape and will hold their shape and are not too long either. I would save money and just get this kit instead of the Cablemod kit.

3c) If noise isn't a concern then you should be fine with the stock fan on the SF600. Test it out in some demanding games and see. I had two of them so far and both get really loud under load, even with a regular 1070, 6700K (no OC) at 1440p/60. I replaced the fan on both with a Noctua NF-A9x14 fan that moves a lot of air without all the damn noise.

4 Couldn't say, but I'd speculate that Intel will be the better performer at 144Hz/1440p. Someone else might know better and can answer this question.

5 Don't buy the 8086.

Thanks for being curious enough to see this post and comment.

3a) I've read the same cooling and noise concerns from the gtx 1080ti camp. They say to get an Atric Acelero Extreme IV, dont plut the included fans on, but place two Noctua slim fans underneath. This is another $70 to buy just the cooler. Why cant I just have an open fan 1080ti and place slim fans on the bottom?

3b) The two guides using the SF600 and they say exactly what you have said. Both had sleeved option after struggling to make it work seamlessly. Its doable, but he sleeved ones are easier, and another user had custom sleeved lengths.

3c) Three different posts talk about swapping out he stock fan of the SF600 with a Noctua.

I'm currently looking on [H]ere and ebay to find a Monitor/GPU/CPU because saving money their could make this build under $2500. Can you think of a better build for 1440p 144hz gaming?

Thanks for being curious enough to see this post and comment.

3a) I've read the same cooling and noise concerns from the gtx 1080ti camp. They say to get an Atric Acelero Extreme IV, dont plut the included fans on, but place two Noctua slim fans underneath. This is another $70 to buy just the cooler. Why cant I just have an open fan 1080ti and place slim fans on the bottom?
It's the Accelero III not IV, I think. The IV has a huge backplate which will clash with the rest of the build.

I've asked similar questions here https://hardforum.com/threads/what-are-my-ncase-m1-cooling-solutions.1958939/

I can confirm that using no fans under the GPU is not an option because temps will boost through the roof. If you use the Accelero then you can use full sized fans. With my card - an Inno3D iChill x3 - I'm trying to work out how to remove the fans and plastic shroud from what is otherwise a really good heatsink. I'm hoping that it's essentially an accelero once everything is off but having trouble working out how to make that happen.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/case-study-air-cooling-inside-an-ncase-m1.2562/

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/ncase-m1-v5-build-max-on-air.6607/

This is what I using for reference. You probably have already read these.

Without testing anything, I would guess that the GPU will be saturating the case with highest temperatures. Even when going to a larger radiator the heat is still inside the case so you dont get any increased efficiency after a certain air temperature inside, unless you can pull the heat out of the case fast enough.

I found $520 acer predator refurb on Ebay. Buying Direct from Acer allows you to put a 2 year warranty for $65 and 4year for $105. A used model sold for $450. I think I can just run with the eBay option.

Last edited:
With the Accelero III, you can stick regular 120mm x 25mm fans exhausting so that your case is not full of warm air and you won't have the run those big fans at a high RPM like the little fans typically found on GPUs. It'll work. Unfortunately, the extra cost adds up, even if you buy an Nvidia 1080Ti at $699.99 brand new or a used one from the F/S section. Tried to see where you could nip/cut to bring the price down, but it'd cost you more to do this. ~$2760 is what I got if you add the Arctic Accelero III and two of those nice new Noctua NF A12x25 PWM fans.

You could save the cash and hassle of getting a 1080Ti in the Ncase and stick with the cheaper 1070Ti. Be sure the model you're looking at will fit though. Seems you have the taller model listed up above.

damn you are right. $70 Accelero + $50 for fans. Maybe its best to go the EVGA route of removing the shroud, keeping the fans, and placing thin fans to exhaust out the bottom.

Thanks for writing out that higher cost figure.

Any tips on ncase shipping, do I pick the 1-2week option lol. I'm heading off to work and will be out this weekend.

Any tips on ncase shipping, do I pick the 1-2week option lol. I'm heading off to work and will be out this weekend.

I picked the 1-2 week because man, when I decided to build in this thing, I wanted it right away hahaha.

thanks guys for the replies. I might have scored an 8700k and mobo. Need to get this Ncase ordered and probably have my itx build on my desk until it arrives.

I just purchased everything through ebay/amazon/[H]forum for cheap!

Excluding Accelero III + 2 120mm fans + 4pin y-splitter kit + Grizzly Thermal Pads + 6TB HD (i have one already, will need to convert my old PC to a NAS)

This will be a huge savings as long as everything works :)

Last edited:
Back