New Build Problem - no boot, 1 long beep, 2 short ones?

TSx

Gawd
A friend sent me an email asking about a problem he's having on a comp he's building, and it's not something I've ever seen. Hoping someone here may have experienced something similar at one time or another.

His email:

"My aunt asked me to build her a new budget computer, so I accepted and got these parts:

AMD Sempron 64 2800+
ASUS K8U-X motherboard (ULi chipset)
ASUS' GeForce FX5200
Corsair DDR pc400 512mb stick
Audigy card
300w PSU
WD 160gb HDD

I've built a couple of computers before so I usually know what I'm doing! However when I booted this computer up the following things happened:

Fans/HDD all come on like normal.
Both LED's on the front of the case stay on.
No display.
The speaker beeps this code: 1 long, 2 short. and repeats it.

I looked up the beep code and supposedly it is some sort of Video problem.

"Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly."

I placed the card in another computer, works fine! Put another video card in and still got the beep code. Ok... I try taking everything out of the case, disconnecting, reconnecting combo's and still I get the 1 long, 2 short beep action. I then sent an e-mail to Asus asking for help and got some lame ass automated response that does not help in the slightest.

Any idea's/suggestions?"

First of all, I would reset BIOS.

If that doesn't do anything, take the video card out and try to boot with no visual at all. The computer should still post, and should still beep. If there is no change in the beep, then the video card is fine. Put the video card back.

Next check that the power cables are going to the right places. First time I built a PC, I put the 4 pin power cable that was for the CPU elsewhere, and I was scratching my head as to why it wouldn't boot. So check and double check the power cables. (Make sure CPU is getting power)

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP bee/beep usually does mean video. I would suggest plugging another card in.

Had a box on the bench yesterday that turned out to be a bad mobo with this symptom, wouldn't detect it had a vc in it. Was also an Asus but for the life of me I can't remember what model.

Let us know and good luck. :)

Back