new build, powers on but no video or case LEDs

robotlegs

n00b
Well I got my parts for my new pc and unfortunately I'm not getting any video or case LEDs to light up. But the system is definitely powering on (CPU fan + case fans engage, I *think* I hear the HD spooling up)

Sorry if this is a retarded question, but how do you hear POST beeps? My case has no speaker as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure if I'd hear anything or not.

What sucks is that I tried 2 video cards and they both don't work. The first card is my new one (GTX 260) in which the gpu fan does not power on. DOA?

2nd card is a known working nvidia 7950GTOC which I'm using right now to type this post so I know it works. When I plug it in to my new comp, I get no video but the gpu fan does spin.

Aside from no video, I get no power LED or hard drive LED on case fan. I don't care if they don't work, but combined with no video I'm beginning to think something serious is wrong :(

Any ideas? I haven't built a comp in maybe 6 years so its possible I did something wrong. But I checked and re-checked my wiring and it seems OK. If I switch the direction of the power switch, it doesn't turn on, so I know its aligned correctly when it does. I put the case LEDs in the same orientation but they don't light up.

CLIFFS
1) new comp built, system turns on but no video/case LEDs
2) tried 2 gfx cards, still no video
3) not sure if I would be able to hear POST beeps or not (nubsauce)

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Right now I'm looking for some debugging steps to see whats wrong. (or identify what parts to RMA :()

HW is in this post: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034132793&postcount=22

If your current system has a speaker, borrow it and hook it up.

There's instructions for a barebone bench test in the basic troubleshooting guide sticky... follow those steps and report back the error beeps in the different configs.

Also, check the polarity on the LEDs. colored wire is typically postive, while the common color is ground.

if the LED's arent lighting up then you may have them connected wrong.. could be connected backwards or just on the wrong pins..

but if the gpu fans not turning on.. then it for sure isnt getting any power.. especially if 2 video cards didnt work.. pretty good bet that either the power supply or the board is the issue and not the cards.. to see if its the psu.. take another one and connect it to that system.. see if it boots up or not.. and check to see if the fan turns on for the video card.. but its pretty much down to the psu or motherboard at this point..

my new card (GTX 260) fan does not power on. My old card (7950GT) fan DOES power on. so I'm not convinced its psu related. I'll follow the bench test guide and report back.

I've tried switching how the LED wires are placed and they never light up. I have them set up the exact same as the power switch (which works) so I think I have it right.

WOOT!

I swapped the location of the RAM sticks and now the comp boots, my gtx 260 fan comes on, everything looks normal. Installing win 7 now

good deal.. i should of thought about that.. but the fans and LED's not turning on was the loop hole in that theory.. good to see its working now..

Back