New Build OR Dell XPS?

sportwarrior

Limp Gawd
So, uh... it's been a while. This board helped me through my 2nd ever build in 2005, and again with my 3rd ever build in 2010. Well, here I am 12 years later, still using that same 2010 build as a media server. It's the longest I've ever gone without a new desktop, so I figure it's high time I rectify that.

I'm interested in a build somewhere in the $1500 range. My STRONG preference is to build my own rig... I take joy in it, and I now have 3 boys who I'd very much like to take through the build process with me. That said, my Costco recently got in a new Dell XPS that seems a little too good to pass up...

1663309799952.png

This thing has nearly everything I'd want in a rig right now. The problem is, it's a Dell. My last Dell was an XPS purchased in 2001, and while it got me through college it wasn't exactly upgrade friendly. I'd like to have at least SOME wiggle room for future upgrades, but I'm not sure how friendly modern Dells are for that sort of thing.

My questions, then, are:

1) Is this thing as good a deal as it feels? I can't price a similar rig out for anything leas than 1900;

2) Are Dells upgrade friendly? My fear is that I buy this little machine, find out its sporting some kind of proprietary 460w PSU with zero room for upgrades;

3) I have priced out a DDR4 i5 machine around 1600ish... 2x as much storage, the same GPU and total control over parts and whatnot... would there be any reason that would prove the better option despite the price difference?

Thanks for the help! I'm excited to have reason enough to post around here again!

To answer:
  1. Based solely on the parts included and not how they're assembled, yeah, probably, particularly if the RAM is indeed DDR5.
  2. Dell consistently uses non-standard mainboards, PSUs, and other components. Things like RAM, SSDs/HDDs, and GPUs are generally swappable.
  3. If you look out for sales you can probably assemble something more comparable to that Dell for roughly the same cost. Black Friday is only a couple months away.
Looking at pics of the system that Amazon has up, it's a very poor design. Only one 120mm fan in, and another out. A small chunk of machined aluminum on the CPU. The GPU fans are right up against the PSU. The PSU is pulling air either from inside the case or a very narrow space underneath. The thing can't breathe.

Also, what's the plan for this system? What games? What size and refresh rate display? Any other specific apps/tasks that might push the system more than the typical internet/office type stuff?

You will likely have to buy another stick of ram too cause for some damn reason Dell only like to use 1 stick in all their systems. The thermals will likely be crap in it. The system is not that bad for the price but it will pretty be much be one and done. No real upgrade path since Dell uses proprietary case, MB and PSU. Since you live somewhat close to a MC I would part out a system there.

Last edited:
Not a bad deal but like vegeta535 stated it may come with proprietary stuff like power connectors, etc...

The only OEM systems I’d get into are the older ones for super cheap. You can easily match this Dell with custom components for 1500 right now. Especially if you are willing to go b stock or used on the gpu.

In 5 mins on PC parts picker I am at $736

12700f
Peerless Assassin se cpu cooler
B660 MSI pro wifi DDR5 board
32GB Team Group 5600 DDR5 ram
1 Tb crucial p2 nvme drive

Budget $400 max for your gpu
$100 for a case
$100 for PSU
$20 for a windows key

1500 ish or less no problem with casual deal hunting.

Add more storage or even go to a 2tb nvme for not much or or same budget depending on your other choices.

Thanks for the reply!

I'd be using this for gaming, as a media server, and occasionally for light graphic design work in photoshop and illustrator. Gaming would only be at 1080p for the foreseeable future, as my monitor setup doesn't support 1440p as of yet.

My main concerns would be future proofing as much as possible at a reasonable cost. That's simultaneously why I'm hesitant and why I'm interested in that Dell. Otherwise I'd be patient. The next generation of CPUs are announcing this month, too...

All that said, once I get it in my head that I'm doing this, it gets a little harder to be patient haha

The only OEM systems I’d get into are the older ones for super cheap. You can easily match this Dell with custom components for 1500 right now. Especially if you are willing to go b stock or used on the gpu.

In 5 mins on PC parts picker I am at $736

12700f
Peerless Assassin se cpu cooler
B660 MSI pro wifi DDR5 board
32GB Team Group 5600 DDR5 ram
1 Tb crucial p2 nvme drive

Budget $400 max for your gpu
$100 for a case
$100 for PSU
$20 for a windows key

1500 ish or less no problem with casual deal hunting.

Add more storage or even go to a 2tb nvme for not much or or same budget depending on your other choices.
There is a display model available for 950, as well. It's an older model with ddr4 and a different i7, but otherwise matches the specs of the model I posted above. I've considered that one, as well, especially since a 3060 TI aline runs $500ish right now.

Last edited:
I believe that particular Dell as well as others with that case style are known for terrible cooling systems and thus they run hot and throttle back the CPU constantly. I've seen lots of discussions where people end up upgrading the CPU cooler, and modifying the case and case fans. And since it's all proprietary you can't move the motherboard.

You may want to research these issues before buying.............

https://www.google.com/search?q=xps+8950+runs+hot

https://www.google.com/search?q=xps+8940+runs+hot

I believe that particular Dell as well as others with that case style are known for terrible cooling systems and thus they run hot and throttle back the CPU constantly. I've seen lots of discussions where people end up upgrading the CPU cooler, and modifying the case and case fans. And since it's all proprietary you can't move the motherboard.

You may want to research these issues before buying.............

https://www.google.com/search?q=xps+8950+runs+hot

https://www.google.com/search?q=xps+8940+runs+hot
I don't think any of the Dell or alienwares PC they make have good cooling. You can't even easily upgrade the CPU cooling cause they dinky little proprietary mounting that mounts through the chassis. Check out the link below of a GN teardown of a typical Dell PC and you will get a idea of how horrendous it is. They also did a AW teardown that wasn't much better.

Also to the OP, looking at your signature rig, I posted this in another thread awhile back: https://hardforum.com/threads/upgrade-this-gaming-rig-or-gut-it-and-rebuild.2020671/post-1045403154

If you don't want to overclock, drop in a Xeon X5690 CPU, add some RAM and a SSD, and get a better video card like a used GTX 1060 or RX470/RX480/RX570/RX580.......(watch out for used mining cards potentially though)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125514751302

You have been happy enough with your signature rig all this time, so consider upgrading what you have for now and wait for next gen parts (such as AMD AM5 and Intel Raptor lake, and DDR5, new video cards coming, etc) and prices to stabilze, especially with the deteriorating economic conditions.....

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Also to the OP, looking at your signature rig, I posted this in another thread awhile back: https://hardforum.com/threads/upgrade-this-gaming-rig-or-gut-it-and-rebuild.2020671/post-1045403154

If you don't want to overclock, drop in a Xeon X5690 CPU, add some RAM and a SSD, and get a better video card like a used GTX 1060 or RX470/RX480/RX570/RX580.......(watch out for used mining cards potentially though)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125514751302

You have been happy enough with your signature rig all this time, so consider upgrading what you have for now and wait for next gen parts (such as AMD AM5 and Intel Raptor lake, and DDR5, new video cards coming, etc) and prices to stabilze, especially with the deteriorating economic conditions.....
I have to admit, there's something fun about slotting in minor upgrades on a 12 year old rig... but the reality is none of this is really THAT exigent. I don't have time to game nearly as much as I used to, and my desktop at this point primarily just runs Plex. Hell, my signature desktop has been mothballed entirely at various points over the last few years.

I have a 2021 HP Omen laptop that has enough juice to game decently, so that aspect is covered for the foreseeable future. You guys have managed to talk me out of the Dell, which means now I just have to wait out the month for the new CPU and GPU announcements to play out. My gut tells me we won't really see much movement on GPU price points for a few months, but it's smarter to wait and see what the details and price points are for the new offerings.

That said, just out of curiosity, say I was going to be impetuous and buy now... is there any reason why I wouldn't go with an i7 12700 over an i5 12600 other than price?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back