New build - MSI MEG Ai1000P vs Asus ROG Thor 1000 Plat II for 4090 Build

vorpel

Limp Gawd
I'm just about to build my new system. I have a MSI Strix 4090 video card, Intel 13900K proc. Most all of the PCIe 3.0 PSUs were out of stock when I was getting components at the end of December so I picked up the Asus ROG Thor PSU even though it isn't PCIe 3.0.

I just checked MSI's website and my first pick of PSU is back in stock - the MEG Ai1000P. I'm not worries about the $40 cost different.

Is the Asus ROG Thor worth keeping and just build with it and eventually get a Cablemod 16-pin cable, or hold off on the build for a week and get the MSI PSU with natice 16-pin PCIe 3. 0 cable?

Thanks!

Wow this is an interesting one to decipher.

MSI = not strix, strix is an Asus thing.

Doing native PCIE5/ATX 3.0 power supply is going to be a matter of preference in cable management really, there's no inherent operational difference in power delivery quality as the PCIE 6/8 pins are sensed when connected to the 12 pin adapter.

I'm assuming you mean ATX 3.0 not PCIe 3.0?
lol - that's what I get for typing while tired. Yes, ATX 3.0 (PCIe 5). It is the MSI 4090 Suprim.

I did order the MSI PSU after reading mroe user feedback and the review on Tom's Hardware. I know it is probably not really going to make a difference, but it's looking like I won't have time to put the system together this weekend, so waiting for the PSU won't make a difference.

Thanks for trying to decipher...!

Back