New Build, looking for feedback and question on 1155 socket

VladDracule

[H]ard|Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc Gaming, Photoshop CS5
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? trying to keep it under 1000 initially
3) Where do you live? Albuquerque NM
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? The Essentials, CPU, MOBO, RAM, Case and PSU
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Optical Drive, ATI 5770 GPU, 2x HDD (1x 150gb Raptor, 1x320 forget the brand) Creative SB X-FI sound card
6) Will you be overclocking? never tried it but possibly
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? currently 19" will upgrade in the future
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Buying most of parts from bestbuy.com, MOBO from tiger direct unless i hear otherwise
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? USB 3.0, SLI
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? Windows 7 64bit

My Question on the intel socket is that i see it has a built in GPU, this doesn't effect anything in terms of using a seperate video card does it? In order to keep cost down currently im looking at keeping my ATI 5770 vid card because it does well enough on my main game which is WOW. MY HDD's while low on storage are adequate enough for me. I like my sound card i havent had any issues and i think the audio is great.

This is the parts list
Mobo: Sabertooth P67 B3 TUF Edition Motherboard http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7343078&CatId=6978

PSU: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair...oductCategoryId=abcat0507009&id=1218090910767

CPU: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Intel&#...oductCategoryId=abcat0507010&id=1218297022991

RAM: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair...oductCategoryId=abcat0506001&id=1218205383260

Case: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cooler+...oductCategoryId=abcat0507006&id=1218265771896

Let me know if ive chosen poorly anywhere!

E4g1e

Supreme [H]ardness
With the possible exception of the CPU, you've chosen parts that are way too expensive or way overkill for your planned build.

1) That mobo costs $30 more than it should have: Function-wise, it has no more features than a P8P67 Pro; it has only one PCI Legacy slot but three PCI-e x1 slots and only two (instead of three) PCI-e x16 physical slots (in this case, the slots either run at 16x/0x or 8x/8x). The extra $30 goes to parts that are pretty much for looks.

2) At $140 plus tax and shipping those Corsair Dominators are extremely expensive for only 6GB of total RAM these days. Especially when you can get the full 16GB (4 x 4GB) for just $20 more than Best Buy's price for that 6GB Dominator kit somewhere else. What's worse, Best Buy charges sales tax in all states where they have physical store locations (this means most if not all states) even on online purchases from their Web site. Unfortunately, Best Buy has several physical store locations in the Albuquerque area. Add the shipping charges, and you could end up paying more money for only 6GB this way than you would have had you bought 16GB somewhere else such as Newegg.

3) The HAF-X case is not worth its $200 price tag in terms of overall quality. In fact, it's way overkill for your planned build (size-wise) unless you're going to run three or four GPUs in CrossFire or SLI.

4) Finally, you don't need anywhere close to 1000W for your planned build, even with a 2600K. Especially with only an HD 5770. For that you need only a 550W to 650W PSU. And even if you did need 1000W, the Corsair HX1000 is an older design that's not as good as newer 1000W to 1200W PSUs from other brands (including Corsair itself).

And if most of the usage on that system is gaming, with little if any Photoshop or Premiere work, even the 2600K is a bit overkill.

And repeat what I stated: Don't get your PC components from Best Buy. They charge too much money (or more specifically, the full official USA distributor's Estimated Retail Price, or full list price) to begin with - and they tack on sales tax and shipping charges on top of those significantly higher prices.

Last edited:

VladDracule

[H]ard|Gawd
The photoshop work right now is fairly minor but i have been into photography for the past few years so once i learn more of its capabilities it may become more extensive. The reason ive chosen best buy is because A) i work there so there is some discounts, how much im not sure at this point i havent checked out pricing, and B) the financing options offered on the credit card. Im a college student and dont wana spend the catch all up front when i can afford to pay it over 18 months no interest. What kind of case should i be looking at?

I dont see the Corsair dominator series listed on tiger direct either

E4g1e

Supreme [H]ardness
The photoshop work right now is fairly minor but i have been into photography for the past few years so once i learn more of its capabilities it may become more extensive. The reason ive chosen best buy is because A) i work there so there is some discounts, how much im not sure at this point i havent checked out pricing, and B) the financing options offered on the credit card. Im a college student and dont wana spend the catch all up front when i can afford to pay it over 18 months no interest. What kind of case should i be looking at?

Actually, those Best Buy employee discounts generally apply only to whatever they actually have in stock at the exact store you are working at. The discounts usually do not apply at all to any online purchases through their Web site.

And yes, the sales tax and shipping charges would just about completely wipe out any discounts if your employee discount were to have applied to online purchases. And in general online purchases made through Best Buy's Web site that are not actually stocked at their brick-and-mortar stores cannot be sent directly to the store of your employment for pickup; instead, such orders must be shipped directly to your home address.

VladDracule

[H]ard|Gawd
the financing possibility is a big thing for me right now however if the difference because of shipping and tax is too great ill hold off until i have the cash. for the RAM i do see some generally lower prices on Tiger from bestbuy, i didnt see any decent MOBO options on bestbuys website, i do have SLI on my current board but never utalized it so im iffy if i should even spend the extra money on an SLI board now

E4g1e

Supreme [H]ardness
the financing possibility is a big thing for me right now however if the difference because of shipping and tax is too great ill hold off until i have the cash.

That could very well be the case. The employee discounts vary by item. On some items, the employee discount (as one of my friends who worked there) is so small (only a few dollars) that such a discount gets completely wiped out by the sales tax alone, let alone shipping charges.

tonytnnt

Gawd
As a former Blue Shirt (6 years) don't buy your computer parts there unless you've done ALL the math. Especially when you can get 12 months no interest at Newegg.

I bought some of my RAM there, turned out I really didn't save any money. At the very least, that Corsair memory will be $65 or $70. You can get a 4GB stick of RAM for $40, or 2x4GB for about $80 at Newegg. And you won't pay any sales tax.

PSU is overpriced. You won't need that large of a PSU unless you've got some serious hardware. That case might be a good deal since cases generally have a good markup, but I wouldn't pay more than Newegg's price for it. And the CPU, while a good price, will be subject to sales tax.

Also, I was never able to get a discount on BestBuy.com orders or other specialty products. When I was there it always had to be something stocked on the shelves.

Gulkor

[H]ard|Gawd

You can get a newegg account and get 18 months no interest if you wanna go that way. for $1000 at newegg you could have a nice gaming system. just my thoughts