New build home

alxlwson

You Know Where I Live
So, building my first home. Thread here.

This is my proposed network stuff. Just wanted to get thoughts. Not leaving UniFi ecosystem.
This is all going in a closet.
I currently have:
G3 camera
8p 60w PoE switch
UniFi Cloud Key Plus
USG
UAP AC Pro

Plan on buying:
Cloud Key G2 rack mount
Another G3 camera
UniFi switch24
CyberPower CPS1215RMS Surge Protector
Fluke Punch tool(I use and solely rely on Fluke to protect my life in my industrial maintenance career. Not worried about paying an extra few bucks for something I'll only use a few times)
Cable Matters 48p patch panel
NavePoint 25U Professional 2-Post IT Open Frame Network Rack
Quad HDMI Keystone Wall Plate,PHIZLI 1 - Cat6 Ethernet 1 - Coax
Cable Matters 10pk 2p Ethernet keystone
Cable Matters 10pk 4p Ethernet keystone

Cat6 RJ45 Keystone Jack Punch-Down Network White (50)

So, am I missing anything?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.newyorkcables.com/product/cat6a-180-degree-rj45-keystone-jacks/

Tool less keystones are the shit. There are now a lot of other brands than Panduit in use now.
I'd suggest a UPS for the entire rack.
Any rush on ordering now? I'd suggest waiting a month for Black Friday. A lot goes on sale.

Well, not a huge rush on ordering right now, but allocation of funds and getting it out of the box at is kinds important.

Its been over 15yrs since I've done any real networking hardware install. We used punchless jacks back then for 5E and they worked great. Reading Amazon reviews, it seems there is a 20% failure rate for punchless CAT6 10Gb. I do plan on going to 10Gb when prices fall. I will have 1Gb+ fiber available at the house when we move in. I plan on just going with the 200Mb for the foreseeable future because it's cheap and I really don't need anything more than 100Mb. 4K Prime/Hulu/Netflix and online gaming just barely saturates my pipe as it is.

Offer still stands, I can come out on a weekend and help you install the equipment and do terminations. Easy enough. Hell, your house would take me about a day to do everything by myself....if that. Get the wiring run during construction and it would be easy. Oh yea...new job!

Offer still stands, I can come out on a weekend and help you install the equipment and do terminations. Easy enough. Hell, your house would take me about a day to do everything by myself....if that. Get the wiring run during construction and it would be easy. Oh yea...new job!

I'm absolutely going to take you up on that. I'll have bourbon, smoked meats, and, a suite for you and the wife.

I think I'm going to have them pull everything through the crawl space rather than above the ceiling. I feel it will make it easier for repair/upgrades in the future.

I'm absolutely going to take you up on that. I'll have bourbon, smoked meats, and, a suite for you and the wife.

I think I'm going to have them pull everything through the crawl space rather than above the ceiling. I feel it will make it easier for repair/upgrades in the future.
Always easier that way and follows code. J-hooks make it easy to install. Make sure they leave service loops when pulling.

Closed today, got busy installing. Nothing fancy, and not complete. Comolete network still at the townhouse and I'll be migrating all that tomorrow.
I haven't touched a punch down tool or an rj45 crimper since 2005.

Double keystone's because I couldn't find any singles when I ordered these back in the summer.

PXL_20210109_002047599.jpg
PXL_20210109_002044723.jpg
PXL_20210109_002031819.jpg
IMG_20210108_211211.jpg

Back