New build has trouble connecting to internet (Vista RC1)

RobbieV

n00b
I recently built a new computer using Vista RC1 and am having trouble connecting to the internet. I currently have it connected to our cable modem that works totally fine with the Gateway computer I'm typing on. However, when I unplug the ethernet cord from this computer and plug it in the new one, it doesen't connect properly. I can go to some sites like HOCP and Anandtech, but not Google or Newegg. Vista does download and install the 2 updates, but it will not activate. I can't go on Microsoft.com either.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I seem to only have partial internet access, and what I do have is pretty slow.

that build isn't supported anymore since they released the newer one... so i dont think you should be able to get updates at all... no idea why some websites work while others dont thats very weird

Well one was just updated definitions for windows defender and I don't recall the other update. I missed the boat on RC2 :(

Ok I stuck an old copy of XP on this machine and it works totally fine now, so it must be something with the Vista OS. Anyone know of some internet settings in Vista that may not have been set properly that would cause this?

Back