New build - getting the correct OS

pzalesky

n00b
Hi there,

I've recently upgraded my system and am looking to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I've found it somewhat odd to search on Amazon/Newegg etc for the proper download - would I be fine buying it straight from Microsoft?

Apologize for the newb question, but this is the first time I haven't been able to procure a student copy from my university.

OEM version is cheaper but only allows it to be installed on that PC. Retail lets you install it again on new hardware if you replace the MB down the road.

I would rather buy it from MS than Amazon, but i am highly biased against Amazon.

Also note you need to buy qualifying hardware with an OEM copy like a hard drive or motherboard.

There's a couple guys at least on here selling Windows retail keys. I've used a bunch of them and have never had any issues with Win 7 pro or Win 10 pro. About the same price probably as your student copy costs.

Hi there,

I've recently upgraded my system and am looking to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I've found it somewhat odd to search on Amazon/Newegg etc for the proper download - would I be fine buying it straight from Microsoft?

Apologize for the newb question, but this is the first time I haven't been able to procure a student copy from my university.
You can buy it directly from Microsoft, but you can also buy the OEM System Builders versions on Newegg and save a few bucks. I personally would never buy less than Pro. Group Policy is exceptionally beneficial for Windows 10 configuration compared to past versions of Windows for home users.

There's a couple guys at least on here selling Windows retail keys. I've used a bunch of them and have never had any issues with Win 7 pro or Win 10 pro. About the same price probably as your student copy costs.

Bear in mind that chances are the use of these keys is actually illegal.

It's well known within tech circles that if MS find you purchasing keys off someone that's not a registered MS re-seller and those keys turn out to be reused OEM keys or worse, whether they activate or not if MS finds you've breached the conditions of their EULA you can face legal action.

MS go after system builders all the time that purchase keys off key re-sellers, all of a sudden the builder finds themselves in a world of hurt even though the key legitimately activated - They actually send spies out to purchase a system off you and then proceed to check the terms and history of the key.

Buyer beware, there's a reason why these keys are so cheap and it's got nothing to do with 'excess keys' that someone's simply flogging off for cheap.

Bear in mind that chances are the use of these keys is actually illegal.

It's well known within tech circles that if MS find you purchasing keys off someone that's not a registered MS re-seller and those keys turn out to be reused OEM keys or worse, whether they activate or not if MS finds you've breached the conditions of their EULA you can face legal action.

MS go after system builders all the time that purchase keys off key re-sellers, all of a sudden the builder finds themselves in a world of hurt even though the key legitimately activated - They actually send spies out to purchase a system off you and then proceed to check the terms and history of the key.

Buyer beware, there's a reason why these keys are so cheap and it's got nothing to do with 'excess keys' that someone's simply flogging off for cheap.
I know, I don't know how they get away with selling that stuff here. It's basically grayware who knows from where.. foreign keys, msdn, home use program, or whatever. There's no way they are selling legit keys for 20 bucks when it cost $100 more on legit resellers.

Thanks for the heads up - just going to buy the retail version straight from Microsoft. Cheers!

I know, I don't know how they get away with selling that stuff here. It's basically grayware who knows from where.. foreign keys, msdn, home use program, or whatever. There's no way they are selling legit keys for 20 bucks when it cost $100 more on legit resellers.

Honestly, it's got me stuffed. There's no way I'd allow the sale of such items on [H].

There's definitely a risk. I just do it for my many personal machines, and some family. I've done the risk analysis and it's so low that I feel the money saved is worth it in the long run. If you plan on selling this PC to some person on CL or something, don't risk it - for personal use I wouldn't hesitate. Just my .02 cents though. At the end of the day $100 or so isn't going to make or break you, you can't even buy a decent amount of RAM at that price anymore.

There's definitely a risk. I just do it for my many personal machines, and some family. I've done the risk analysis and it's so low that I feel the money saved is worth it in the long run. If you plan on selling this PC to some person on CL or something, don't risk it - for personal use I wouldn't hesitate. Just my .02 cents though. At the end of the day $100 or so isn't going to make or break you, you can't even buy a decent amount of RAM at that price anymore.

Yeah me too. Except I went for the totally free version.

Back