New build, comments appreciated!

devman

2[H]4U
First build since 2008. Looking forward to building a new computer. Would love comments (sanity check) on parts I've picked out.

1) Usage: Gaming and Office programs

2) Budget: ~$1500

3) Location: Fairfax, VA

4) Parts: CPU, CPU Cooling, Motherboard, Memory, GPU, SSD, PSU and Case

5) Parts being used from previous build:
Monitor: Samsung 226BW 22"
LG Blu ray combo drive (SATA)
Western Digital Raptor WD3000HLFS 300GB

6) Overclocking: Yes (CPU)

7) Monitor: 24" 1920x1200

8) Build Time: Within 2 weeks.

9) Feature Set: Small size (mATX), Good OC mobo, a USB 3.0 header on the motherboard would be good too.

10) OS: Have a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 license.

Final parts list:

CPU: Intel Core-i7 3770k

CPU Cooling: Corsair H60 Hydro

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Gene

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

GPU: EVGA GTX 680 (Reference)

Storage: Crucial m4 128GB SSD

PSU: Corsair AX750

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini

For reference build I'm upgrading from is:
Intel Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
EVGA nForce 750i FTW
EVGA Geforce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB
4096MB Corsair XMS DDR-2 800 (2x2G)
Western Digital Raptor WD3000HLFS 300GB
Coolermaster Stacker 830 w/ CM 1kW PSU

I"m hoping the parts I've picked out will be a nice step up from what I have currently.

UPDATE: parts list!
UPDATE2: final parts list!
UPDATE3: Pics!

Parts arrived!

ivyboxprebuild.jpg

..and put together later that night.

ivybox.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a crazy step up. Its going to blow your mind With the new graphics generation just out and your so close in price you might consider a change

I'd definitely go a 680 over a 580 if the budget allows.

Edit: having said that though, a 580 is more than enough for 22" gaming.

Last edited:
Can you please answer the sticky questions, so we can better help you make good decisions.

Since your going all out, you might consider an H80, H100 or Kuhler 920 for better overclocking/temps. I would like to replace my 620 with a 920 sometime.

1) So no chance of you waiting till late April/early May for Intel's Ivy Bridge CPus?
2) When exactly will you be upgrading to that 1920x1200 resolution?

1) So no chance of you waiting till late April/early May for Intel's Ivy Bridge CPus?
2) When exactly will you be upgrading to that 1920x1200 resolution?

I've already been waiting a while. The fact that IB is around the corner doesn't bother me.

My wife wants my 22" for a dual monitor set up. I'm thinking of getting a Dell U2412M. Probably with in the next six months.

All righty then: Stick with the GTX 580. No reason to go with the GTX 680 if you're not a month or two away from getting that 24" monitor. The GTX 580 is stupid overkill already for 1680x1050.

The rest of the setup looks fine.

Update parts list. I'm planning on purchasing the rest today or tomorrow. The only thing left undecided is the motherboard which I have been unable to pick between the ASUS Maximus V Gene and the Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3.

I would splurge for the ASUS. The Gene line of motherboards have been rated very well.
I would also recommend the H100 as it should fit easily i that case and offer better cooling.

From one former CM Stacker 830 owner to another, that's a pretty ginormous change in case size! :D

Thanks for the feedback K1tty. I've been sorta leaning toward the ASUS anyway.

The Stacker 830 has been an excellent case, but I'll be glad to be rid of it (I will miss the slide out mobo tray). The thing is just huge and was my over compensation to the issue of the case I had before the Stacker 830 wouldn't fit 10.5" video cards so I resolved to "go big" on the next build and the result was the 830. I decided this time around to go with an mATX tower from a quality builder with a smart layout. Having already used the Arc Mini in a different build I can say I'm in love with that case.

They do make excellent cases! I myself am kicking around ideas for a different case and they're on the my short list.

I would splurge for the ASUS. The Gene line of motherboards have been rated very well.

This advice is questionable especially since Asus's RMA support has been going down the drain lately. Owners waiting weeks or even months with no action - and then, they often receive someone else's broken motherboard unrepaired (if there's any action on the part of the Asus RMA guys). This is because most non-advance RMAs (those whose RMA numbers that begin with "USA2") must go through Asus's Jeffersonville, IN facility - the one that's been suffering all of the teething problems with support quality.

Yeah due to the reasoning provided by E4g1e, I'd recommend the Gigabyte over the Asus.

Your planned setup looks fine to me, albeit a tad much.

After considering all the opinions in this and the thread in the Motherboards forum I ended up going with the ASUS board. I hope I don't end up regretting that and then Danny Bui gets to say "I told you so".

Updated with pics. Thanks for help [H]'ers!

Only problem I had during build was I had to flash the bios on the Maximus V Gene to get USB 2.0 working properly with my Logitech G15 v2

Ridiculously fast compared to my old build.

Back