New build brings... new troubles! (Help, Sandy Bridge build)

veritas7

Gawd
Hey all, I just got all my parts together and now I'm having the worst luck getting it to even BOOT! It's been a while since I've done a build so I'm all antsy and nervous...

CPU - Intel i7 2600K
GPU - EVGA GTX 580
MEMORY - G.Skill DDR3-1600 Ripjaws 2x4GB (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)
MOBO - MSI P67A-GD65
PSU - Corsair TX850W (sitting for a year, was RMA'ed and I never swapped it back in with my other 750W in my current rig)

WHAT'S GOING WRONG:
I have the entire new setup sitting barebones on my desk on top of the ESD bag on top of the foam insert that came with the mobo.

Whenever I try to BOOT, it constantly REBOOTS/turns off then turns back on (press POWER on mobo, see blue light LED turn on for power, see CPU fan spin, see it spin down, same with PSU fan). I can't even get to the damn BIOS/EFI screen! Nothing comes up on the connected monitor!

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
Different RAM slots. No dice.
Checked all my power connections, mobo power, cpu pin power, GPU PCIe power, etc, all firmly connected. No grounding should be occurring.

All items received 4/28 last week. Just put them together today.

EDIT: I've ordered a different motherboard and a new set of RAM
No issues yet unless I run in to them when the new parts arrive next week.

Last edited:
I would try a different stick of ram, if nothing else so you can hopefully update the bios.
Maybe try it with a different video card if you have one available, and in a different slot on the board.

If you are not using the little adapter for the power on button/reset button/power led/hdd led/ etc, make sure your using the right pins on the board to turn it on (i only say that as I wasted about 20 minutes having it plugged into the wrong power on port, it would spin up when the power supply was turned on, and then turn off).

I would try a different stick of ram, if nothing else so you can hopefully update the bios.
Maybe try it with a different video card if you have one available, and in a different slot on the board.

If you are not using the little adapter for the power on button/reset button/power led/hdd led/ etc, make sure your using the right pins on the board to turn it on (i only say that as I wasted about 20 minutes having it plugged into the wrong power on port, it would spin up when the power supply was turned on, and then turn off).

I can't even get to the BIOS.

Like I said, it's on for 2 seconds, then shuts off, then turns back on. Endless rebooting.

I tried also with only one stick of RAM, that's the only DDR3 RAM I have is the one I bought for it.

I also am using the onboard POWER button that is physically on the motherboard, rather than the pins (since it's on top of my desk rather than in my case, I rather test than waste an afternoon putting my old components back in). And as for the GPU, I can always use an old nVidia Quadro I have, but I doubt it's related as 1) again, not even in an OS, so I have 0% load on the CPU and CPU and 2) if it's a bad PCIe then it's still a bad mobo probably, I knew I shouldn't have even touched MSI

Guess what? There have been major compatibility issues between MSI LGA 1155 motherboards and G.SKILL DDR3-1600 or faster memory. They just don't mix well together no matter what. In fact, we have warned several potential buyers about the issue. The only fix for this would be to return the memory and get DDR3-1333 memory instead.

Guess what? There have been major compatibility issues between MSI LGA 1155 motherboards and G.SKILL DDR3-1600 or faster memory. They just don't mix well together no matter what. In fact, we have warned several potential buyers about the issue. The only fix for this would be to return the memory and get DDR3-1333 memory instead.

I think I will return both the memory and the motherboard, play it safe with DDR3-1333 memory and go Gigabyte or ASUS provided they have at least 8 SATA ports that I need.

Any suggestions for RAM and the Motherboard again? I'm leaning towards just getting the 1333 Ripjaw counterparts of mine and probably go Gigabyte (since I've been using nothing but their mobos for LGA 775 - P35/X48/P45)

I think I'll be looking at Gigabyte and ASUS mobos tonight... I do not like the way this motherboard is setup, and there's definitely a lot of polishing flaws (as well as terrible documentation compared to Gigabyte, broken English and having to resort to booting DOS if I wanted to flash my BIOS? Oh my)

I'll probably trade in / swap or return the 1600 G.Skills for the F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL model instead, and play it safe like you said at 1333.

Edit: I've dropped my mobo restriction to 2 eSATA ports at least, which is a lot of boards (with default 6 P67 SATA ports). Figured I barely use an optical drive might as well move to just a USB one and use an eSATA with my hotswap.

Last edited:
I would select the mobo first then look at teh qvl list a select the ram that way to minimize issues.

Also, check the RAM manufacturer's site for compatibility, as the motherboard makers' testing protocols tend to be not as comprehensive.

I think I'll be looking at Gigabyte and ASUS mobos tonight... I do not like the way this motherboard is setup, and there's definitely a lot of polishing flaws (as well as terrible documentation compared to Gigabyte, broken English and having to resort to booting DOS if I wanted to flash my BIOS? Oh my)

I'll probably trade in / swap or return the 1600 G.Skills for the F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL model instead, and play it safe like you said at 1333.

Edit: I've dropped my mobo restriction to 2 eSATA ports at least, which is a lot of boards (with default 6 P67 SATA ports). Figured I barely use an optical drive might as well move to just a USB one and use an eSATA with my hotswap.

Be aware that the setup of the Asus and Gigabyte P67 mobos are different from one another. The Asus boards use a full UEFI implementation while the Gigabyte still uses (for the time being) a UEFI/Legacy hybrid BIOS (this is, as Gigabyte calls it, a UEFI BIOS without the proper UEFI interface).

Be aware that the setup of the Asus and Gigabyte P67 mobos are different from one another. The Asus boards use a full UEFI implementation while the Gigabyte still uses (for the time being) a UEFI/Legacy hybrid BIOS (this is, as Gigabyte calls it, a UEFI BIOS without the proper UEFI interface).

Thanks! I don't think the "legacy" bios will bother me. The old ones never really have, and I'm still kind of liking the legacy BIOS just because I'm still really familiar with all the PCI devices and their options.

I decided and went ahead with:
GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3
and
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

while returning the MSI board and other 1600 GSkill RAM today via UPS to Newegg.

I must say, I'm really impressed now that Newegg has gone the "Amazon way" of giving out free shipping for returning items and not charging any fees (as I know so far).

I remember years ago it was quite a hassle with Newegg, now I'm very satisfied :)

Back