New build, been out of the loop for a while...

Kurak

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, this is what I'm thinking of purchasing, please tell me what you think!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11683949

I'm going with the stock cooling because apparently the 2500k stock cooling is actually kind of good. Radeon 6950 because I'm not looking for anything TOO fancy. Rest is self explanatory. Thoughts?

Edit: Forgot to include the purpose of the machine. It's going to be for moderate gaming and streaming HD video.

-Kurak

Last edited:
I would consider changing the Barracuda out for a WD Black or maybe a Blue. I have had 3 of those fail on me within a few months. The return process is fairly simple but pretty annoying to have to do it. I realize all drives have this possibility, but 3/3 for me makes me a little wary...

Generally it's a good idea to answer the questions in the sticky found here. While you have answered some, you'll receive the best help possible by answering the questions.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming primarily, streaming video, everything else

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Trying to stay under 1k tax/shipping included

3) Where do you live?
Boston, MA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Everything in the wish list. CPU, mobo, ram, hd, case, power supply, video card. (On the fence about a sound card)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
n/a

6) Will you be overclocking?
Don't plan to.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
27" HD flat panel. 1920x something. It's pretty nice but not too fancy.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Soon

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
Mostly don't care, crossfire support is nice.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Windows 7 64bit

Sorry, there we go :)

$345 - Intel Core i5-2500K CPU + MSI P67A-G45 Intel P67 ATX Motherboard
$41 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$65 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$90 - Corsair 650TX V2 650W PSU
$60 - Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 ATX Case
----
Total: $601 ($838 with Gigabyte HD 6950 1GB) plus tax and shipping

Notes:
- Faster hard drive
- Since there's no real world difference between DDR3 1600 and DDR3 1333 RAM and the fact that 2x2GB sticks will limit your future RAM upgrade to just 12GB of RAM, I recommend a cheaper 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM that'll allow you to expand to 16GB of RAM later on.
- Updated and better quality version of the PSU you selected
- It doesn't seem like you need all of the features of the GD65 mobo as shown by your answers so I recommend the cheaper G45 motherboard
- The Coolermaster HAF 912 is a better case than the Antec 300 due to its better cablemanagement and internal volume

Back