New Build Assistance Around An ASUS Sabertooth Z77

NumberTwo

Weaksauce
Wondering if you guys could point me into the correct direction around a decent build on the Sabertooth board.

My current system is
-ASUS P5W DH Deluxe MB
-Q6600
-Corsair XMS RAM (4GB)
-OCZ 850W PS
-GTX 260 GPU
-Thermaltake Armour 11 bay case
-Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme CPU cooler

I really like the Sabertooth board, and would like some suggestions on building around this. I'd like to try my hand at water cooling too. I'd need the following
-Case
-PSU
-CPU
-GPU
-Water cooler
-RAM (32GB)

I have a Kingston 120GB SSD ready, and will be swapping over my other SATA drives as slaves. Other things like a DVD ROM and such I have laying around. I do some gaming, and would like to be able to run BF3 without issues. I don't want to say money isn't an issue, but if the build will last me, I don't mind spending a little more. I like to get the most out of my builds (This build has been running strong since 2006). Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

cpu- 3770k
gpu- whatever you can afford, gtx660 or gtx680
watercooler- be a noob and get a corsair h60/80/100 or build your own loop
ram- love the corsair dominators
case- anything lian li or antec

Gaming: i5 or i7. The HT and VT-x support in the i7 won't help in a gaming aspect. If you've got the spare cash and want the i7, go for it. Running a few VM's? Using something like AutoCAD or Photoshop? If so, then you'll want the i7.

GPU: GTX 670 or higher. 660Ti doesn't tickle my fancy, especially when the price point between the two is +/- $70 . My OC WindForce 670 works beautifully with BF3.

GPU: Corsair H60/80/100 units are decent, but avoid the 100i like the plague. The software is crap, and Corsair switched to Cool-IT to make the 100i. I've owned two Cool-IT liquid cooling units, and both were junk.

RAM: Corsair Dominators, Patriot Vipers

Case is a personal preference thing, so I am not going to push towards one soul manufacturer. Antec is great for cooling, but their cases are dust magnets!

Thanks for the replies. The case I have now is huge. Looking for a smaller case. Something to maybe fit 2 ROM's in. I don't care for the "Bling" factor of the case.

Which is the better proc, Ivy or Sandy? I might plan on running 1 VM so I can VPN into work when needed.

Being I've never done water cooling before, does the pump and res take up a lot of space inside? How do they mount?

I'd ideally like to stay around 1,500.00 but if I have to go a hair over I'm not too worried.

I should clarify that the i5 doesn't support VT-d (hardware virtualization), but you're not using ESXi or XenServer or any other hyper-visor. You'll be able to use VMware Player with one VM and not sacrifice performance.

Sandy Bridge processors are known to be better overclockers than the Ivy Bridge parts, but I love my 3570K. Also something about buying last-gen tech didn't go well with me, a personal preference more-or-less. :p

Units like the H100i and the Water 2.0 Extreme require a certain amount of clearance between the top of the chassis and the motherboard. You'll have to lookup '240mm Radiator Support' when you go to buy a chassis. Other Asetek coolers like mine (Zalman), Coolermaster, Corsair HxX, Water 2.0 Pro, they will only occupy one 120mm space on the back of the case. Any normal sized ATX motherboard should have proper clearance between the water-block and the radiator. If you were choosing a motherboard like an ASRock Z77 Pro3 or an Asus P8Z77-V LK, that smaller profile will make for some tight clearances. You'll have to install the water-block first before securing the radiator to the chassis. Some chassis will only allow for a push/pull install if you choose to use an Asetek type cooler. My chassis has clearance for a 120mm fan, but not the radiator by itself. The radiator extends over the mounting holes and will not sit flush against the back of the chassis.

-Case -- up to you really. I really like the Corsair 650d, NZXT H2, and Antec P280
-PSU -- With only 1 GPU, a nice 650 will be plenty. i.e. Corsair HX 650
-CPU -- Like above, if you not doing anyhting besides your regular gamming, no need for i7; however, if bf3 is your thing, bf3 does love the extra cores.
-GPU -- I have to say I am crazy about the evga 670 ftw. amazing card with plenty of power. Tried the 7970 and wasnt impressed.
-Water cooler -- I use an h60 and its plenty enough for 4.5ghz. Pick any of these and you'll be happy.
-RAM (32GB)

I am currently using this Motherboard.

I went with the i7-3770 (the K version wasn't readily available at the time), but you can now get the 3770k for less than this one.

For RAM, download the Motherboard Manual and see what RAM it supports. If the manufacturer recommends specific models, I tend to recommend using them. I've had a couple i7's in past that misbehaved because of RAM that should have worked. 32GB is cool, but I think 16 is good enough.

If you can use some of your old hardware, your power supply should be good enough.

I am using the Corsair 600T Graphite case and love it.

If your SSD isn't SATAIII you may as well get a new one.

I think the biggest bang for the buck for videoboards is the 660Ti or the 670 GTX. I'm running the 680GTX.

I built my system back in May and have been extremely pleased with it.

i7-3770
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM
256GB Samsung 830 SSD
Corsair HX850 power supply
Corsair 600T case
Corsair H100 Cooling system.

Case
- Corsair 400R

PSU
- Seasonic X650-750 or Corsair AX650-750

CPU
- i5-3750K or i7-3770K

GPU
- 660ti, 670, or 680

Water cooler
- H100 will fit perfectly in the 400R case since it's designed for it.
- (or get the trusty Hyper212+ / Hyper212+ EVO if you want to stick with air

RAM (32GB)
- Crucial Ballistix Sport two kits of 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 1.5V

Back