New build and I don't have any power

Cally

Limp Gawd
I just put together a new build for a relative. This is about my 4th build so I think I put it together ok. The problem I had when I went to turn it on for the first time is that the power button stuck in the on position. I had the side cover off and caught a very, very slight whiff of something smelling burnt.
Nothing ever acted like it had any power (lights, post beep, fans). Once in several pushes I see the PSU light come on for one second and that is it. Is the power switch gone and that is why I am lacking any power up? Or should I be looking at something else?
The board is a Gigabyte EP43 UD3L, E8500 with stock cooler, 4 BG G skill 800 memory, 9600 GSO video card, OCZ 520 PSU.

First, unplug the power switch from the mobo. Then use a screwdriver to "jump" or short those two power lead pins on the mobo -- hold it there for a second or two to see if the system powers up. If not, do the barebone bench test on the cardboard box -- details are int he basic troubleshooting guide sticky, under "If your system does not POST."

I stripped the MB of everything, memory,cpu cooler & cpu, all cards and placed it on a box. The first time nothing happened. I then disconnected all wires and reinstalled them. I pushed the power switch and the power supply and rear exhaust fan came on.

Now I know the power switch and the psu is ok. Funny thing is I didn't get any beeps either.

You do have a case speaker installed, right? (or is there an onboard one?)

Reseat the CPU.

It is a case speaker, the case is a TX1050B Antec. I found one problem last night. The wire from the PSU to the 2 SATA drives was apparently bad.I changed it with a spare and the drives activated. The case switch still sticks though and I have yet to hear the first beep or see the CPU fan rotate.

Did you re-seat the CPU?
Remove everything except the items listed in the troubleshooting guide. If no beeps, try another PSU.

The problem was in three of the pins of the 24 pin connector. 3 of the pins would push back and not make good enough contact to provide enough power to the board. I would try to reseat the pins then reconnect the connector. Each time the pins would push back . For some reasons they wouldn't lock in position in the connector. I am going to rma the psu.

If you want to save yourself the time, you can try repairing it. Simply bend "out" the "wings" of the metal connectors before re-inserting them... that SHOULD lock them. If not, then RMA.

Back