New Build and First Ever build for myself

punkmanmatthew

Limp Gawd
What your budget is (and whether it includes taxes, shipping charges, and/or other costs)
I want to say around $900 with shipping.
-- Which parts you need within that budget
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y3cvvK
Although I may need to get a wireless card or whatever. but don't need to include
that now.

Here are the parts I need. Don't need a keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS, or SSD.
Already have those.

-- What the system is going to be used for
Windows 7
-- All of the components that you already have and/or are planning on reusing
keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS, or SSD.

-- The question(s) you have -- or, the reason you made the thread in the first place
I just want to know if this is a good build or if I can get cheaper? Also want to know if everything is compatiable don't want to run into any issues. I'm worried the motherboard may not be good but it seems to be fine for me. Not worried about SLI or anything.
-- Be as specific/detailed as possible (without writing a novel -- some of us have short attention spans here...)

I will be using this for gaming and general use. Also every once in a while I will edit video or us after effects to help out a friend making a presentatoin with but not very often. No worried about that. I just want something I can have for awhile and that I can updgrade or fix if it breaks. Don't want to waist money on a laptop that I can't do anything with in a few years. Seems like a waist to me to get a laptop bc I'm not worried about portability.

Last edited:
You copied the wrong link. Could you copy the link that shows in the Permalink box?

If you would have bought some parts a few weeks ago tigerdirect had 40 off 100 now. I will try to post you some deals if i see them.

Here are the changes I recommend:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LHFhdC

Changes are:

Reduced the price on your RAM, GPU to similar but slightly cheaper, changed your PSU to a better one (Corsair CX series are not that great, SeaSonic one is currently cheaper, and it's a much better quality.

As an added bonus, managed to squeeze in an SSD for your OS while keeping all in your budget.

Thanks for those options. I'll go with the cheaper ones.

Does the motherboard seem good to u? Didn't know if it's a good choice?

Here are the changes I recommend:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LHFhdC

Changes are:

Reduced the price on your RAM, GPU to similar but slightly cheaper, changed your PSU to a better one (Corsair CX series are not that great, SeaSonic one is currently cheaper, and it's a much better quality.

As an added bonus, managed to squeeze in an SSD for your OS while keeping all in your budget.

That's a great deal on a solid PSU, you may want to jump on that before the deal expires on the 1st.

I'd also ditch the HAF for smaller (and much better looking) mATX case.

A smaller case would be nice.

Just want to make sure everything fits and is compatiable with it.

Any more suggestion on a matx?

Also I think I found a mobo but it's $100. Another Asrock bascially same looking
and everything but probably some more options.

Thanks

A smaller case would be nice.

Just want to make sure everything fits and is compatiable with it.

Any more suggestion on a matx?
Are you talking about the case or motherboard?
Also I think I found a mobo but it's $100. Another Asrock bascially same looking
and everything but probably some more options.
Which motherboard?

Not worth it over the Seasonic PSU recommended earlier.

There's lots of options for cases. A recommendation would have to be based on where it's going to sit (floor, on top of desk, shelf/cubby hole), how quiet you want it to be, how dirty the environment is (cats, dust), ports on front or top, how important is size minimization, etc...

If you don't think you'll be adding a sound card or internal tuner, you could even look at ITX for an even smaller option (which is all I'll build now).

Since overclocking is less relevant now and not many people do it anymore, you may want to look into a premium H97 mobo instead of a budget Z97 board.

I would probably put it on the floor and it's not dirty.

I would prefer making something smaller bc want to keep the room uncluttered.

I'll check out that premium mobo.

Just saw the itx cases and that would be great. Look to be compact.

Would I need a different mobo or just and ATX one?

Not sure how to make a build for a smaller case?

Do you need/want a DVD or Blu-ray drive in the case? Keep in mind external DVD drives are cheap, and you can usually copy install discs to a thumb drive using a different computer...

That Apex case won't work, as it uses a small PSU. You'll generally want to stay away from cases with included power supplies, as they are usually junk. Silverstone is an exception. I'd go for an SG05-450, or wait for the SG13 to come out in the near future (and then buy a short (usually means not modular) 140mm PSU like the Seasonic G450).

For the mobo, I advise buying the best in the manufacturers lineup for a given chipset. Personally, I like ASUS.

Beware though, SFF (small form factor) builds are not the easiest to do cleanly. If you lack dexterity, patience, and a bit of mechanical ability, you may want to go with mATX or a larger ITX case like the Node 304

I work on iphones so this shouldn't be an issue :)

Anyways. I am getting the seasonic you recommended at first.

That one will work with an ITX case right if I understand you correctly?

Thanks

I work on iphones so this shouldn't be an issue :)

Anyways. I am getting the seasonic you recommended at first.

That one will work with an ITX case right if I understand you correctly?

Thanks

The Seasonic M12II is modular and a bit too long for cases that require <160mm PSU's. The G series are not modular and are short enough for almost any case that takes an ATX PSU.

Back