[H]F Junkie
Current rig is in my signature (Neptune). Looking to order these:

CASE: Fractal Arc Mini R2
MB: Asus Gryphon Z97 mATX
CPU: i5-4690K
RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3-1600 Cas 7 1.5v
HSF: Noctua NH-D14
PSU: Corsair HX750i
GPU: MSI N760 TF 4GD5 (Twin Frozr GTX 760 4GB)

Plus a Samsung Pro 840 128GB for Windows 7. It would be my first SSD, so not sure what other programs might be good to install on it.

My current build has a few WD1001FALS for storage and a BD-HDVD combo optical drive.

I would get the 850 Pro for the SSD. As for the GPU, 760 isn't all that great of a card. You'd be better off with a 280X.

Is the 850 Pro $20 better? Do Radeon cards still run way hotter than NVIDIA?

I too would recommend the 280x based on performance. As long as you get a good custom cooler one, I can't imagine heat being an issue. I run a r9 290 in a closed media center stand(albeit stock) with no heat issues.

Also is there a reason you're getting 4x4GB of RAM? Most suggest 2x8GB. If you already own it or its cheap dont change, but otherwise go for 2x8GB

EDIT:
By looking at your current gaming rig, why don't you just upgrade your video card and maybe a SSD? The rest of your system is plenty for current gaming. Unless you got the itch, I don't see the need to upgrade. With all the saved money, you could upgrade your videocard to a high end card such as r9 290(x) or GTX 780.

Last edited:
Mainly got the itch, plus I want a somewhat smaller case. That's why I'm going mATX. I'll look into 2x8GB instead.

How about the HIS iPower IceQ X² Turbo Boost Clock H280XQMT3G2M Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card?

Last edited:
For most people a larger cheaper SSD is a better choice than a smaller more expensive one. Crucial MX100 is about $100 for 240GB, $200 for 480 GB. In general size is better than specifications unless you are benchmarking.
Samsung 840 EVO would cost a little more.
There seems little cause to upgrade Sandy Bridge at this point.
I believe some new video cards are due?

I planned to mainly run Windows 7 from the SSD. Do you install games on them too? What else? I chose 128GB because I figured I wouldn't be using even half that.

Check out the Corsair 350d chassis.

Get the larger SSD...you're not going to discern any difference unless you run synthetic benchmarks all day long. Crucial MX100 or Seagate 600 are excellent size : price : quality choices.

I prefer nVidia, but the 760 is not a good choice compared to the Radeon suggested, imo.

Get a 2x8GB RAM kit...this will allow you to upgrade in the future or retain better resale value due to larger capacity per DIMM.

That's a nice-looking case, though a little bigger than the Fractal. I like Fractal having the ports on the top panel instead of the front panel, plus the open front for airflow.

Mainly got the itch, plus I want a somewhat smaller case. That's why I'm going mATX. I'll look into 2x8GB instead.

How about the HIS iPower IceQ X² Turbo Boost Clock H280XQMT3G2M Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card?

You should really reconsider this: Is that itch and that want for a smaller case really worth spending an extra $500 to $600 for the CPU, mobo, and case alone? And then another $170 for the PSU? For effectively a 10% to 18% improvement in CPU performance?

I think most of us here can understand the itch. I have had to stop myself from buying cheap-o CPU + mobo combos to satisfy that itch in the past few weeks. Especially considering that I already have enough spare PCs to last me quite some time.

I dunno. Not really. I suppose I could throw an SSD in there with a clean install of Windows and be pretty good for a while longer. Just like shiny new things!

I dunno. Not really. I suppose I could throw an SSD in there with a clean install of Windows and be pretty good for a while longer. Just like shiny new things!

Don't we all? Anyway, for the SSD, I recommend getting the Samsung Evo 250GB or 500GB SSD. 128GB is possible to use but at current price points, they make little sense as a purchase since larger SSDs are not that much more. Keep your OS and games on the SSD as well any other programs you plan on using a lot.

I myself plan on satisfying that itch as soon as I see a good deal on Seagate or WD 3TB hard drives. Need to buy 6 to 8 of them.

Back