New Box or Upgrad Video Card?

prne10

Limp Gawd
I'm so PUMPED for the games coming out this fall (specifically SKYRIM). However, I am currently rocking an Imac 27" which just won't cut it in the graphics department. I want to utilize the beautiful screen, though, but native resolution is 2560 x 1440 pixels.

My old box is running the following:

Q6600 G0 @3.0 / Ultra-120 + S-flex (Runs hot)
ABiT IP35 PRO
EVGA 8800GT SC
G.Skill 2x2gb PC2 8000
(Case airflow kinda sucks, so I might have to scale down the CPU to stock)

It's been quite a while since I've messed with building my own system. I also would prefer to just upgrade the graphics card if possible since I don't game nearly as much as before.

Do you think I can replace the 8800GT with a modern card for under $200 to run games such as SKYRIM on high at a resolution of 2560 x 1440?

I think it's definitely time for a new box. A Q6600 at those speeds will surely bottleneck many high end graphics cards. The one thing in your favor is that you'll be running at 2560x1440. Either way you can build a super good Sandy Bridge system or if you wait about 3 weeks a bulldozer system. The CPU will run you around $175-$225 or so depending on which you go with, mobo around $120, and DDR 3 ram is dirt cheap right now. You can get a 8GB kit for $50 or a higher speed 8GB kit for $70.

For videocard you can get a good bang/buck card like a GTX 560Ti or a Radeon 6950, depending on what rebates or things are available. If your budget permits you should go for a more robust card for 2560x1600, one with more than 1GB of vram and enough gpu power to push newer games at 2560x1600.

At 2560x1440 the graphics card probably needs doing first, but the CPU needs to be done shortly after. A 3.0Ghz Q6600 probably won't be enough to run Skyrim smoothly.

Okay, well that just sucks. I guess I have to build a new box unless anyone else thinks otherwise.

It's about that time. My system is a little newer than yours but im still looking to upgrade. Im waiting for bulldozer though. Hopefully its priced for bang for my buck.

Yeah, I guess you are right. I just don't know if I can really justify dropping 500-600 bucks at LEAST on a new system only built for games. :(

With a 3ghz OC the q6600 is about as fast or faster than an AMD 1055t in games. It's not a rocket but it's also not in immediate need of upgrading. A video card upgrade should be okay for a year or two, then you'll probably be ready for a new build.

Yeah, I guess you are right. I just don't know if I can really justify dropping 500-600 bucks at LEAST on a new system only built for games. :(

Overclock your cpu, get a midrange card like a 560ti and call it a day. When you have the money to upgrade your cpu/mobo/ram you will have a nice card to go along with it.

You can get that Q6600 to 3.4 with some better cooling... Should drive some more modern cards acceptibly in games like Skyrim... Which I am also terribly excited for :)

You can get that Q6600 to 3.4 with some better cooling... Should drive some more modern cards acceptibly in games like Skyrim... Which I am also terribly excited for :)

I'd try that, but a big challenge is going to be the poor airflow in my crappy coolermaster case.

If you can go a bit over $200 I'd recommend a 6950 2GB, you'll appreciate the extra memory at 2560x1440. If that doesn't play things to your satisfaction, then look at further upgrades (CPU, mobo, ram)

You can try and keep your Q6600 and get one of these for it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010. This should help you reach 3.6-3.8Ghz easily on that cpu. I would get this with the rebate otherwise look for a better deal on a even better cooler as this unit is oookay but not the best, still it's miles better than what you got.

In a perfect world you could afford to extend the life of your system for some time buying one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
You can probably find on ebay or in the FS/FT Forum here or in other forums at a pretty good price.

I agree with samuelmorris in that since you'll be playing at 2560x1440 you shouldn't need to upgrade the cpu first so maybe you can do this all in baby steps.

1. get the videocard
2. Get the enclosed water cooling cpu loop (use with Q6600 in the meantime)
3. Get the CPU (use the cooler on the new cpu for up to 4Ghz overclock if possible)

Yeah, I guess you are right. I just don't know if I can really justify dropping 500-600 bucks at LEAST on a new system only built for games.

If a $1000 system lasts 3 years, it is $27.78 a month. For less than $1 a day you can help starving ... alright I'll stop there. ;)

I would think that Ultra 120 should be able to get your Q6600 up to around 3.6ghz at least... unless you have a super sucky Q6600. Did you set the voltages manually or did you just leave everything on Auto?

If the voltages are on auto, then they are probably WAY WAY WAY too high. A decent Q6600 shouldn't even need a voltage bump to run at 3.0Ghz.

As for case airflow... make sure it is good. If you have any of those stupid air restrictive chrome grills or built in grills.. cut them out. It will improve airflow through the case tremendously.

One other thing.. on a LGA775 system, once you get the bus speed pretty high, it really starts to shine. I had my Q6600 setup running at 480x8... even with lowering the multipler so it was closer to stock speed, it was a whole lot faster then with the multipler up higher and at a lower bus speed.

that was on a P45 board. yours is a P35 board, so you will probably won't be able to get quite as high of a bus speed, but you can certainly get it up a lot higher then you have it now.

You will just need to lower the memory multiplier so you don't go over the stock speed of your RAM. Running the RAM higher than 1:1 on an LGA775 system shows almost no performance increase whatsover. So jack up the bus speed and set the RAM to 1:1.

I would think that Ultra 120 should be able to get your Q6600 up to around 3.6ghz at least...

Q6600s and Q6700s were a bitch to get at 3.6gthz. I know this because I had a Q6700 with the best stepping available and it was a pain in the ass getting 3.6. I had to Lap that mofo and get a non nvidia nforce chipset based motherboard in order to do it. Most of the time I'd say maybe a good 50 % of the time you'd top out at 3.4 unless you were on a extreme custom water cooling loop.

The OP does admit his case and airflow suck. I like your point though that he should make sure he's doing things right. Anyway with a dedicated closed loop on the cpu I bet he could get that 3.6ghz.

Your case looks fine to me? Try resetting your heatsink or lowering your voltages. I also would just buy a new video card. Your Q6600 should be fine. I have a Q6600 @ 3ghz. Would like to go higher, but I have an nvidia chipset board

i wouldnt get a whole new setup now. get a used gtx480 for around 170 and you're good to go at such high res cpu wont matter much and a q6600 at 3ghz should be fine.

i wouldnt get a whole new setup now. get a used gtx480 for around 170 and you're good to go at such high res cpu wont matter much and a q6600 at 3ghz should be fine.

That won't work unless the gtx480 has a displayport since the Apple Displays only use miniDP. :(

Q6600s and Q6700s were a bitch to get at 3.6gthz. I know this because I had a Q6700 with the best stepping available and it was a pain in the ass getting 3.6. I had to Lap that mofo and get a non nvidia nforce chipset based motherboard in order to do it. Most of the time I'd say maybe a good 50 % of the time you'd top out at 3.4 unless you were on a extreme custom water cooling loop.

The OP does admit his case and airflow suck. I like your point though that he should make sure he's doing things right. Anyway with a dedicated closed loop on the cpu I bet he could get that 3.6ghz.

My Q6600 will run at 3.84Ghz... on air. I have seen quite a few threads where people had theirs running higher than mine and at lower voltages.. and on air even.

It really depends on the board.

When I first got my Q6600 G0, I had a 975x based board which wouldn't get that CPU past 3.2Ghz for anything.

I then moved to a P35 board and I was able to get 3.6Ghz really easily.. but not much more.

Then I moved to a P45 board and 3.8Ghz was pretty easy. 3.84Ghz took a lot of tweaking.

There are some really sucky Q6600s out there.. but I would have to say that those are more of an exception.

I seem to remember playing around with it and getting a max of 3.2Ghz. However that was nearly 3 years ago. I like the idea of replacing the heatsink/fan for the Corsair H50 and trying to get it higher, but it's going to be a royal pain trying to remove everything and reinstall.

I also never lapped the cpu which could also be causing a lot of my problems.

Get a video card and if you are still not happy get a i2500k or wait for bulldozer. Pretty simple. IMO I think you will be fine with the Q6600

Back