New Blizzard FPS, Overwatch

This is the closest thing to an Unreal Tournament 4 I've seen the industry produce in five years or so, so I'll say I'm excited to try it out.

I do wish they'd make it not exclusively a team game, though - I guess basically more like Unreal Tournament. The trouble with team FPS games, at least in my experience, is that the matchmaking is never terribly good, and it just turns into a cycle of spawn->pick up ammo->run toward meat grinder wide open space in center of map ->get killed instantly->goto "spawn"

If you could get random people on a team to play together effectively it might be fun, but when no one talks, or everyone does talk, but it's 15 12-year-olds who all think they're the team captain, it just isn't all that much fun to me after about 20 minutes.

This is the closest thing to an Unreal Tournament 4 I've seen the industry produce in five years or so, so I'll say I'm excited to try it out.

I do wish they'd make it not exclusively a team game, though - I guess basically more like Unreal Tournament. The trouble with team FPS games, at least in my experience, is that the matchmaking is never terribly good, and it just turns into a cycle of spawn->pick up ammo->run toward meat grinder wide open space in center of map ->get killed instantly->goto "spawn"

If you could get random people on a team to play together effectively it might be fun, but when no one talks, or everyone does talk, but it's 15 12-year-olds who all think they're the team captain, it just isn't all that much fun to me after about 20 minutes.

There's actually an Unreal Tournament in development right now which would be more similar.

I'm not seeing how a game like this is really similar simply due to the emphasis on the class system and basically asymmetrical combat.

Smaller player sizes, in this case 6 v 6, will allow for tighter match making and easier team organization (both in terms of organizing pugs, and finding people to play with). I've liked the Battlefield series a lot but simply having more players is not necessarily better, it's a situational thing. 32v32 works for Battlefield, it would be a massive face palm for this type of game.

I'm into it.

I disagree with people who think this isn't classic Blizzard. This is exactly what Blizzard is and does.

Art Style:
Warcraft 3 was the start of this sort of art style. The last game with "dark/adult" style art was Diablo 2, 14 years ago. Warcraft 3 came out and everything since has had a similiar art style. WoW, SC2, D3, Hearthstone, etc.

"Innovation":
Since the beginning, Blizzard has taken familiar game types, combined features from popular games and polished them. Pick any game in their lineup back to Warcraft 1. This game is no different.

I'm into it.

I disagree with people who think this isn't classic Blizzard. This is exactly what Blizzard is and does.

Art Style:
Warcraft 3 was the start of this sort of art style. The last game with "dark/adult" style art was Diablo 2, 14 years ago. Warcraft 3 came out and everything since has had a similiar art style. WoW, SC2, D3, Hearthstone, etc.

"Innovation":
Since the beginning, Blizzard has taken familiar game types, combined features from popular games and polished them. Pick any game in their lineup back to Warcraft 1. This game is no different.

it will fail just like diablo 3.

blizzard are finished

It sounds like SMNC with out the leveling aspect and with the ability to switch characters on the fly. It could be fun.

lmao this guy

Hes right! You do know all the talent that made original diablo 1&2 and warcraft3 and starcraft left long ago! All we have now are shitty games, Blizzard is done, its only a matter of time before Activision fully aquires Blizzard, going from partnership to being Bobby Koticks bitch.

D3, top selling game of the year, top selling expansion of the year?

That D3?

It sold based on the legacy of Diablo 2. Had some lesser known company released Diablo 3 it would not have been received anywhere near as well by reviewers. Diablo 2 was a much more mature and rewarding game, The art style is very dark and demonic. Diablo 3 does not feel demonic or dark, it feels like you are fighting generic monsters.

It sold based on the legacy of Diablo 2. Had some lesser known company released Diablo 3 it would not have been received anywhere near as well by reviewers. Diablo 2 was a much more mature and rewarding game, The art style is very dark and demonic. Diablo 3 does not feel demonic or dark, it feels like you are fighting generic monsters.

Reaper of Souls sold 2.7 million copies in the first week alone. Diablo had been out for over 2 years since then, but it still sold based on the legacy of Diablo 2, right?

Reaper of Souls sold 2.7 million copies in the first week alone. Diablo had been out for over 2 years since then, but it still sold based on the legacy of Diablo 2, right?

It's all connected, really. D3 sold extremely well partly due to the legacy of D2, and also in part because "it's a Blizzard game" and they had like 10M WoW subscribers alone at the time, not to mention Star Craft players and whatever else.

Reaper of Souls sold a lot of copies for many of the same reasons, and also because there were people looking to "fix" their vanilla D3...and also because many people genuinely enjoyed D3 and wanted more.

That list of sales numbers really doesn't mean much these days though considering that digital sales are often not included and, especially, because gaming in general is in a completely different place than it was 14 years ago as far as social acceptance, market saturation, brand visibility, media delivery services, etc. It's the same reason why sales and chart records set by Michael Jackson (or whoever) get smashed by like Katy Perry or generic boy bands and shit.

I didn't like vanilla D3. Don't even think that I finished a campaign. Since ROS I've put in over 200 hours into the game. I haven't played any game that much in years. And I mean years. I know quite a few people that have done the same post ROS.

I honestly think that Blizzard made some very good decisions with D3. The game is all about gear. Its nice not having to level a cookie cutter build to compete at higher levels. For example the crusader has so many viable high level build options that it makes the class so much fun to play. Doesn't get stale. Its a nice difference from other arpgs. Call me a "casual" I don't care.

I don't get it. People complain when a game is more of the same and they complain even more if a developer tries something new.

That list of sales numbers really doesn't mean much these days though considering that digital sales are often not included and, especially, because gaming in general is in a completely different place than it was 14 years ago as far as social acceptance, market saturation, brand visibility, media delivery services, etc. It's the same reason why sales and chart records set by Michael Jackson (or whoever) get smashed by like Katy Perry or generic boy bands and shit.

Even with that do you think that there are many games aaa that would compete with D3?

ITT: Blizzard haters and some people who think a combination of popular games under a Blizzard name might actually be pretty cool

I wish that they would release digital sales numbers. It would be nice to see the whole truth and not partial truth. There would be some changes on that list, albeit not at the top. The last time that I bought a physical copy was Diablo 3 RoS, only because Gamestop had it on sale.

What makes you think that list doesn't include digital sales?

What makes you think that list doesn't include digital sales?

Valve doesn't release Steam sales figures. So, that's a huge chunk of digital sales that goes unaccounted for plus all of the other digital sales sites that may or may not release their figures as well.

Why do you guys think it doesn't include digital sales. Is there even a way to buy minecraft PC without a digital sale?

I would say that RoS sold well based on the promise of un-fucking the original D3 release. And it did a pretty decent job of that, though it's still not as good as D2 + LoD was IMO.

Valve doesn't release Steam sales figures. So, that's a huge chunk of digital sales that goes unaccounted for plus all of the other digital sales sites that may or may not release their figures as well.

Publishers don't have that data? There are sources other than just the retailer.

Publishers don't have that data? There are sources other than just the retailer.

Apparently the companies have a NDA with Valve and can't release without permission.

But that list has some big games left out. Skyrim, Left 4 Dead 2, and CS:GO have more than 5.5 million owners on Steam, yet they are not on that list. Just leads me to think that some, not all, digital sales aren't included on that list.

All this is my opinion, of course.

Apparently the companies have a NDA with Valve and can't release without permission.

But that list has some big games left out. Skyrim, Left 4 Dead 2, and CS:GO have more than 5.5 million owners on Steam, yet they are not on that list. Just leads me to think that some, not all, digital sales aren't included on that list.

All this is my opinion, of course.

Thats a very good point.

Developers/publishers have commented on sales data which include Steam numbers before.

Also is there an actual source that a strict NDA is in place regarding steam sales data? I believe the actual agreement itself is under NDA (not sure if anyone has leaked it).

Also there are sources that have estimates of sales by data mining publicly available data from Steam.

Regardless I think it's very hard to argue that Diablo 3 is not successful from a sales perspective. Since the games that are estimated to have arguably sold more or in that area are also huge sellers like Skyrim and Civilization V.

Back