New Black Edition 5970

Guys,

Quick question if you could get a new 5970 Black Edition 2GB card for $550 do you think that is a pretty great price?

Thx,

DC

Cheapest on newegg is 550 AR that is a HIS. I would rather get an XFX for that price due to better CS support. Are you talking about the 2X2GB or 2X1GB card too? Still 100 dollars cheaper then the other 5970 on the egg.

Well it sounds like a good price, I am assuming its used? Or not a reference 5970? I have heard they are power monsters, and with the card you had before, you may not have thought about a new PSU. Chances are your gonna need a new PSU to run the 5970. Im sure someone else will chime on it the exact power needed. But I would think your gonna need like a 1K PSU. And be cautious of the manufacturer, I hear a lot of problems with that card, with drivers, etc, locking systems up. Just do your homework. Remember if its to good to be true, thats because it is.

Goodluck!

1K PSU sounds like overkill; a 5970 is two 5850 chips on one board. I have two Matrix 5870s running with 8GB Mushkin DDR3 and an X3360 overclocked to 4Ghz off of a corsair 850HX and I have never had a power issue so that would lead me to believe you would be all set with anything equal or better than a corsair 750TX.

If this is one of the newer 5970 with 2 GB for each CPU, then it is most likely a dual 5870, not a dual 5850....which would be worth the price.

But, it won't come near the performance you have with triple 480s, unless you are building a new system. Plus AMDs CF drivers can be hit or miss, trust me.

Read the review Hard did on the ASUS Ares 5970 4GB....it wasn't anything special and goes for $1000...:eek:

Yep...even though it costs more Tri SLi with the 480's is great and my case should be big enough to deal with the heat. If not I will watercool them.

Back