New Bill Would Fine Robocallers Up to $10,000 per Call

So I dont really understand the point of these spam calls...I got to the point where I wanted to actually talk to someone on the other side and rip their ass over it....but nothing, just a automatic hangup. So what is the actual purpose of these spam calls?

The worst ones are with my vehicle, as it is just past its standard warranty and they want to sell me extended warranty. Did the dealer sell my info??

Depends on the call. Some are just trying to sell you a service of some type and hope that you sign up from the robot asking you to. Others are expecting you to answer and say something that they can use to claim that you signed up for their automatically billed offering. This was a common thing many years ago, people would call saying they were doing a survey and needed to know what type of printer / fax machine you had. They would ask you early on if you had time for a survey and when you said yes they used to that change out the question to would you like us to start sending you toner to which you now said "yes" so as far as their recording shows. So they would send you toner at a cost of 3x the normal cost.

Some are trying to sell "legit" services but from fake numbers that way you have no way to know who it is until you answer.

You then have the scams. Your computer is broke / has a virus so they need $400 in iTune cards to fix it. Or they want you to give them your credit card number so that they can give you a reduced rate.

The auto hangup might be their system not realizing that you answered or if calls multiple people at once and one of the other numbers answered before you did.

I don't want to get fined. I mean those robocalls have spoofed my number to call others. How do I know? Those people have called my number saying I called them.

Spoofing has legitimate uses.

I have our office phone system setup to "spoof" our main number on all outgoing calls.
We have multiple lines and wouldn't want customers seeing the various numbers assigned to our T-1 lines.
Instead we spoof our main number, which for incoming calls is forwarded to the number on our first set of lines.
I'm not saying that spoofing needs to be banned completely. There should be an application process proves that the spoofed phone number belongs to the same individual/business. Instead, you are given the ability to put any phone number you want without verification.

Would this affect robocalls coming from overseas?
How many of you get Justin from lower insurance rates with a different number every call?

So I dont really understand the point of these spam calls...I got to the point where I wanted to actually talk to someone on the other side and rip their ass over it....but nothing, just a automatic hangup. So what is the actual purpose of these spam calls?

They want to see if there's a "live" number for them to spam incessantly.

Kind of the same principle as having a firewall set to "REJECT" packets....That simply tells a hacker/phisher that there's SOMETHING at the IP they were pinging/fingering. (which is why the smart thing to do is simply have them "DROPPED".)

Wish there was a better system for doing that on phonelines than there is now.

I'm not saying that spoofing needs to be banned completely. There should be an application process proves that the spoofed phone number belongs to the same individual/business. Instead, you are given the ability to put any phone number you want without verification.

If only there was a similar framework to follow that is already implemented in other systems...... Like the one implemented for DNS allowing you to do a reverse check to see if it's valid or spoofed, then you can have logic on the client side to block if it fails the check.

They want to see if there's a "live" number for them to spam incessantly.

Kind of the same principle as having a firewall set to "REJECT" packets....That simply tells a hacker/phisher that there's SOMETHING at the IP they were pinging/fingering. (which is why the smart thing to do is simply have them "DROPPED".)

Wish there was a better system for doing that on phonelines than there is now.

Once upon a time you could use recording of the SIT tone to do this (I think this is how the Telezapper worked) but modern dialers can ignore them.

The government won't likely go after the telecoms selling number access any time soon. Are they going to sue India as a whole?
<snip>

Sue, no. Send the cops, yes!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/national-cra-india-rcmp-scam-1.4883796

Sadly, it took forever for the government to get off their ass about this. The only reason they did is that people have taken to ignoring all calls from the CRA, which makes communication difficult for the legitimate agents.

I'm in sales, and use my phone often for calls. Being reachable by customers is super important to me. However, it's getting to the point where I rarely answer if the number isn't in my contacts and I don't recognize it. I let it go to VM and look at the message with visual voicemail. The combination of text messaging and robocalls are serving to kill voice communications for me and a lot of other people.

On any given day, I get one to three robocalls. During the recent midterm elections, I was getting 5 to 10 per day. If there's an app out there for Android which lets me mute the ringer only for people not on my contact list, I need it.

Actually that's built into Android now. Go to settings->Sounds and notifications->Do not Disturb->Allow Exceptions->Phone Calls and "Calls and messages from Contacts only"

Sue, no. Send the cops, yes!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/national-cra-india-rcmp-scam-1.4883796

Sadly, it took forever for the government to get off their ass about this. The only reason they did is that people have taken to ignoring all calls from the CRA, which makes communication difficult for the legitimate agents.

Heh, and they sent in the mounties to pester the Indian cops only when their precious state revenue was challenged. Better than nothing I suppose.

I find it amusing that the US federal government, namely Dept. of Health and Human Services can't even bother to use their insurance robot wench "Ann" with proper caller ID. She shows up as just "TOLL FREE" and a 1800 number. At least the number is legit when you call it.

Would this affect robocalls coming from overseas?
How many of you get Justin from lower insurance rates with a different number every call?

none, that is the problem with any of these laws. Most calls come from other seas so they can't do anything about them.

Not the only way to find a robo-call spammer.

Can you elaborate? I no longer get calls from people, it's almost always a recording. If I hit 0 to try and get an operator, it drops the call. Even when I did get an actual person, if I attempted to get contact information/who they are calling on behalf of, they drop the call. I'm not even sure how these scams work, unless they only answer those questions if the person sounds dumb enough to fall for it.

But without that info, who do you report to the FCC? I've realized it's too much effort to even try since I'm almost never successful. So any call I get from an unknown or obviously spoofed number I answer and immediately mute the call. I'm hoping they'll start flagging it as a dead line and remove me from their lists, but at least this stops my VM from filling. I'm really looking forward to the google assistant thing that you can forward the calls to and it will only forward back if it determines it's not spam. Hopefully that severely reduces the number of spam calls, since the DNC list is completely effing useless.... I've been on the list for almost 10 years now and get 2-5 spam calls a day.

spoofed calls, not enough blacklist slots

these politicians come up with the dumbest bills.

do something about caller ID.

As long as they are allowed to spoof numbers, you might as well fine them a billion dollars per call.
Google STIR/SHAKEN. (Basically verified Caller ID) It's something the telecos are actively working to implement. They don't want robocalls hogging their resources any more than you want to receive the calls. I believe Verizon's rollout starts next year.

Can you elaborate? I no longer get calls from people, it's almost always a recording. If I hit 0 to try and get an operator, it drops the call. Even when I did get an actual person, if I attempted to get contact information/who they are calling on behalf of, they drop the call. I'm not even sure how these scams work, unless they only answer those questions if the person sounds dumb enough to fall for it.

But without that info, who do you report to the FCC? I've realized it's too much effort to even try since I'm almost never successful. So any call I get from an unknown or obviously spoofed number I answer and immediately mute the call. I'm hoping they'll start flagging it as a dead line and remove me from their lists, but at least this stops my VM from filling. I'm really looking forward to the google assistant thing that you can forward the calls to and it will only forward back if it determines it's not spam. Hopefully that severely reduces the number of spam calls, since the DNC list is completely effing useless.... I've been on the list for almost 10 years now and get 2-5 spam calls a day.

I apologize for being misleading. I wasn't talking about us normal people being able to find them, I was referring to law enforcement / government being able to find them.

Google STIR/SHAKEN. (Basically verified Caller ID) It's something the telecos are actively working to implement. They don't want robocalls hogging their resources any more than you want to receive the calls. I believe Verizon's rollout starts next year.

this has been discussed for years but nothing yet will happen. Since many companies still have old switches they can't support these new feature so it is hard to get this kind of stuff pushed through.

Back