New Bill Pushes For A La Carte Cable TV

We already have A La Carte, it is called Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu.

That's what I've switched to. Dropped Dish for it. It works great for 90% of my viewing. Add OTA for local network stations, and I'm not doing too bad. I miss a few little things (Speed channel, Outdoor channel, etc.), but they aren't that important to justify the high cost.

I don't think the gov't should force them to do this. I think the consumer should.

All I need is HBO GO without having to pay for Cable TV. Can I have legislation providing me with that?

This is a pointless bill now.

What needs to be regulated is that cable cos are the same people that deliver the internet to houses as well. They should be able to data cap the end users, we all know why they do this... to combat the growing streaming options people have to get their content.

You can cap bandwidth (how much of the pipe you can use), not total data. It should also be wide open (example of ISPs blocking ESPN3).

Live sports and the fact that they can control your internet speeds are all that is keeping these TV services a live in my opinion. Let the content makers come directly to the user to sell their content. Either via a month streaming fee or per show/season fee.

There is going to be a major colapse and restructing in the near future I think.

Imagine a system:

Your local major stations stream OTA
ESpn sub directly to the website, and you get to stream anything they show, what would you pay? (I would pay $10-$15/Mo personally)
Then you can choose your CONTENT you want, not channels.

Back