New bigadv project 6904

Interesting. Just dropped my first 6904, and got more points than expected:

06.28, 3am 771,606 1

This was at frame times of 31min50sec, with 29 minute upload, which should have given 664,000 points (296k PPD)

So I was credited with about 334kPPD instead on 296KPPD. Hmmmm. (6903 = 308kppd on same rig)

Wonder if this is it:

Re: new bigadv project 6904
by kasson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:18 am

We're adjusting deadline values:
6904 is now 17 days final deadline, 10.2 days preferred deadline, k-factor 37.31.

Hourly Production
Time Points WUs
06.28, 6am 760,330 1
06.28, 3am 771,606 1

Ok, second 6904 dropped and same deal - HFM predicted for 32min40sec a dump of 656,000 points (287k PPD), but I got 760k = 332k PPD (6903 = ~300k )

Looks like these are the biggest PPD out there. (so they should be, taking 3 times longer than a 6900)

Very good news indeed, I may have a million point day if my 6904 comes in a bit over expectations. :)

they changed the pts on them... have HFM redownload wu info...

Sorry I forgot to mention - I updated HFM last night, and again just now - still showing PPD 16% lower than what the units are actually scoring.

I am not game to post on FF in case it is a mistake ;)

out of curiousity are you guys still able to get 6903 & 6904 units?
I have server 130.237.232.237 as the only one handing out these unit ... the status says accepting which i believe is only receiving units not handing them out.

Got 2 sets of back to back 6904s on the two machines running linux, had solid 2684s on the windows rig.

I will drop the 6904s in the next half day or so, but until then I can't tell you if they are flowing or not. That is the trouble with units that take 55 hours to run. Not terribly frequent data points. ;)

Just got another 6904 to follow on, but... checking my Stanford stats, the one that just uploaded an hour ago is back to normal, unlike my last 2. This one scored 660,000 points, as HFM predicted.

There must have been either an incorrect initial points entry for 6904, or some scoring error on my first two, but now they are back to the expected points shown in HFM/Psummary.

So 6903 is the best scoring unit, by a nose.

Just got another 6904 to follow on, but... checking my Stanford stats, the one that just uploaded an hour ago is back to normal, unlike my last 2. This one scored 660,000 points, as HFM predicted.

There must have been either an incorrect initial points entry for 6904, or some scoring error on my first two, but now they are back to the expected points shown in HFM/Psummary.

So 6903 is the best scoring unit, by a nose.
should have kept your mouth shut! what, you don't think PG sneaks a look over here from time-to-time? ;)

Just dropped a 6904 and picked up another one. They seem to have some laying around.

just dropped one 6904 and pick up another right away .. while the another i7 970 dropped 6903 and again pick up another 6903 (why not 6904 .. grrrrrr)

Wow, I'm impressed PG actually did someting about the bigadv point inflation. Bad news for the megafolders, maybe, but at least it affects all teams equally.

Wow, I'm impressed PG actually did someting about the bigadv point inflation. Bad news for the megafolders, maybe, but at least it affects all teams equally.
in theory, yes.

In reality, no. Surely, we were the team that is built the most for the extra bigadv. This will hurt us much more than any other team, I am quite sure.

Somewhere, evga is rejoicing.

I am not impressed... and it does not effect all teams equally...we are now geared away from gpu and this helps gpu substantially ...

After much discussion, we are adjusting the points bonus for bigadv.
With who... not the beta team... not dab... who the heck did he discuss with...

Bigadv work units have been given a 50% base points bonus over standard SMP; the rationale for this was to compensate for the increased system load, increased memory requirements, and increased upload/download bandwidth requirements.

Rational? right...

As judged from the high demand for bigadv work units, this has been very much a success, perhaps a little too much so. We would like to continue to offer a bonus for bigadv to offset the above factors, but we don't want demand for bigadv to overwhelm the rest of the project or imbalance the points system.

A tad late dont ya think... It is already imbalanced and now you just screwed us all over...

Thanks for taking our money and playing deaf...

SF is playing sh*t ... they act like we (donors) owe them something. Let's dump all bigadv WUs :D

I'm as upset as anybody, but I do just want to say that we need to cut them at least a little bit of slack.

Their task is to assign a tangible number (points) to an intangible concept (scientific value). It would be difficult to ever get that match truly "right."

On the other hand, the rug has been pulled out from underneath us, and it sucks.

Who is our DAB rep now? Tobit? We need to be banging on PG to "normalize" the entire point spectrum. That's the only fair way of handling this.

I'm as upset as anybody, but I do just want to say that we need to cut them at least a little bit of slack.

Their task is to assign a tangible number (points) to an intangible concept (scientific value). It would be difficult to ever get that match truly "right."

On the other hand, the rug has been pulled out from underneath us, and it sucks.

Who is our DAB rep now? Tobit? We need to be banging on PG to "normalize" the entire point spectrum. That's the only fair way of handling this.

Discussion was not had... yes normalization was and is needed... doing another non-benchmarked change is a stab in the back... not discussing with dab and beta testers... kicking the knife further in...

Communication and understanding has always been a problem with F@H and the ecosystem that is under it. Think of it, as an issue or problem within a organization that bogs it down, or a considerable hamper to its success or mission.

MIBW is NOT going to be pleased about this.

he's probably about to start his saturday morning cup of coffee and sit down to check hardforum.com and his HFM status, and..........

Ok, so -bigadv is down in points
What about -smp
Anything with GPU?
Do they stay the same?

This news truly does hurt teams like us, especially the top 20-50 folders here. We've been able to keep pace with EVGA even though we have 300ish fewer active folders because of the bigadv WU and the 2P and 4P folders.

Given the change to K-factor and base points, will bigadv still be better PPD than regular SMP for those of us with 8 cores? I will try and find a calculator around somewhere, but I suspect some of our more experienced folders would know off-hand.

+1 to this

how does BA compare now to the other forms of folding
SMP & GPU?
I'm literally about to go to the store to buy a new PC.
Good timing?

This news truly does hurt teams like us, especially the top 20-50 folders here. We've been able to keep pace with EVGA even though we have 300ish fewer active folders because of the bigadv WU and the 2P and 4P folders.

Given the change to K-factor and base points, will bigadv still be better PPD than regular SMP for those of us with 8 cores? I will try and find a calculator around somewhere, but I suspect some of our more experienced folders would know off-hand.

IMO it's a good move, I was feeling my sr-2 was giving out too many points compared to say an i7 920. It is still giving out 182kppd, which is very generous (and IMO still a bit too much compared to smp machines/gpus).

But I'm feeling bad for those who invested in 48 cores machines recently expecting the initial 6903/6904 numbers. PG shouldnt make sudden changes like this and I wish PG would award those rigs more points, maybe make them run tests and beta units (only on those monster rigs) and reward these people bonuses points or something..

+1 to this

how does BA compare now to the other forms of folding
SMP & GPU?
I'm literally about to go to the store to buy a new PC.
Good timing?

wu size... biggest gpu wu *4100 = size of 6903 bigadv wu

I have not looked at the full impact of this yet... I need to do some calculations as to how much they just devalued the 20+ clients I run.

But I'm feeling bad for those who invested in 48 cores machines recently expecting the initial 6903/6904 numbers. PG shouldnt make sudden changes like this and I wish PG would award those rigs more points, maybe make them run tests and beta units (only on those monster rigs) and reward these people bonuses points or something..

Thats what the beta team is for... they are supposed to test the wu and then report as to changes before release... instead it stays in beta for 2 days... not long enough to even finish a unit if you didnt get one at the start or if you have only 12 threads...

I know they did not test them on powerful machines...they know not how to benchmark.... and as I just finished the overclock on my 48core machine (3ghz) im a tad livid...

I know they did not test them on powerful machines...they know not how to benchmark.... and as I just finished the overclock on my 48core machine (3ghz) im a tad livid...

Sorry I'm not very clear...what I meant is PG could use these 48 cores machines for time-critical needs, like testing new WUs before releasing them (testing like they did with 6903/6904 for the last few weeks before introducing them to the public).

Well these 48 rigs could be used to test any new smp/bigadv WUs, and should be awarded crazy points for the crazy fast return.

Testing smp/bigadv WUs on 48c rigs would make the process so much faster and greatly benefit the project.

PG have at their disposal the near-fastests non-cluster machines in the world... they should have a good use for it and reward these donors...

So Stanford is saying my contribution is worth 20% less to them today than it was yesterday (according to HFM with the lastest base point values - I am looking at 2x6904s, a 6903, a 2685, and a 2684)....that really makes me want to keep supporting them...

Back