New battery, motherboard still loses BIOS & Time settings when unplugged.

oryan_dunn

n00b
I've got a motherboard that seems to lose BIOS and time settings when unplugged. I've installed a brand new battery, checked that it indeed reads 3V (3.28 to be specific), made sure the contacts are as clean as I can get them (they look brand new), and made sure the battery is a tight fit.

I'm not sure where to turn to next. I've actually tried several, known good, batteries. Any suggestions?

try reseting cmos directly by flipping the jumper while battery is out?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried that as well. I'm really not sure where to go from here. I would like it to work, but the PC is plugged in most of the time. The only thing left is to check the solder joints on the battery mount.

Are you sure that the pins necessary to short to clear the CMOS aren't in fact reversed?

In other words, are you sure that the pins the jumper needs to be on for normal use are not in fact the ones used to clear the CMOS?

:p good point, though at least for my bros it will not let it run in CLR position.

You could test to see if power is passing to the board from the battery if you voltmeter?

Back