New ATX-B/ATB Form Factor Motherboards

Oldwolf

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know about, or have any info on the new Form Factor that is to replace the current ATX Form Factor?

From what I understand they will be "non-ATX compliant", 2-cpu board with the new PCI-Express slots.

I would really like to see any articles about these new boards either in HardOCP's main page or here in the forums.

Thank you.

BTX isn't completely unnecessary. They're pushing it for a few advantages it has, namely the placement of the CPU toward the bottom of the case... Heat rises, so I guess they figured that they could increase cooling efficiency by lowering the processor so it's HSF didn't end up pulling pre-warmed air off of the rest of the componentry. I haven't gotten to play with it yet so I don't know how effective that's gonna be one way or the other though. And I'm sure that if BTX does take off, mainboard manufacturers will find a way to make BTX work for AMD's too.

PhoenixAshes said:
BTX isn't completely unnecessary. They're pushing it for a few advantages it has, namely the placement of the CPU toward the bottom of the case... Heat rises, so I guess they figured that they could increase cooling efficiency by lowering the processor so it's HSF didn't end up pulling pre-warmed air off of the rest of the componentry. I haven't gotten to play with it yet so I don't know how effective that's gonna be one way or the other though. And I'm sure that if BTX does take off, mainboard manufacturers will find a way to make BTX work for AMD's too.

the ONLY reason they ever thought of it was because of that nuclear furnace called prescott. Before they ditched the netburst architecture, they had to find a way to keep it from eventually melting through the motherboards. So they invented btx which let the coldest air hit the massive heatsinks and then go right out the back. If you look at btx its similar to what apple has with the g5's

corrosive23 said:
the ONLY reason they ever thought of it was because of that nuclear furnace called prescott. Before they ditched the netburst architecture, they had to find a way to keep it from eventually melting through the motherboards. So they invented btx which let the coldest air hit the massive heatsinks and then go right out the back. If you look at btx its similar to what apple has with the g5's

There are two reasons for BTX. One is the heat issues of newer CPU designs. Also the trend for "silent" PC's has a little to do with it. In order to keep my system running like it does overclocked I need 6 80mm fans. The machine is loud.

BTX has two 120mm fans according to spec. This will allow for much quieter oiperation.

While they are at it they are revamping the power design.

Back