New ATT Phone: Suggestions

NotSoSimple

[H]F Junkie
Looks like I am due for an upgrade. My Atrix 4G now has a cracked screen. Great condition otherwise :D I was saddened that they pulled upgrade for ICE/JellyBean on it as well.

So what android phone would you go with on ATT? At first I was going to go with the Atrix HD, but was stopped looking at the LG Optimus. Dont care to spend $200 for the Samsung Galaxy SIII so it is off the table.

Go through Amazon Wireless for cheaper prices. I would recommend the HTC One X for $0.01 or the Galaxy S3 for $99.99.

HTC One X?

Htc's flagship for 2012. On AT&T both this and the SGS3 use the same basic hardware. One X is considered by many to have a better screen. Better battery life as well. Really can't go wrong with either.

Wow, the One X is already $0.01 on Amazon? I was surprised my mother got a deal on it for $50 like two months ago... It hasn't even been six months since it came out. That's an awesome choice if you don't mind the non-removable battery and non-expandable storage.

The non-removable battery is not that big a deal, that phone has some of the best battery life of any Android phone right now (probably only second to the Razr MAXX variants which have a much larger battery), and you can buy one of those USB battery packs which are actually more convenient than battery swapping sometimes (don't have to shut down, remove the case, etc).

I've been living w/the very similar HTC EVO 4G LTE for a while and I'm very happy w/the battery life and the Anker battery pack I got from Amazon. Lack of removable storage on the One X would bug me tho, not sure if I'd go for that if I ever had to. Keep in mind HTC has improved a few of the complaints people had w/the software at launch btw.

You can now set the multi task button to be a menu button on long press (or vice versa), thus eliminating the ugly on-screen button w/legacy apps. Memory managing for multi-tasking was also tweaked a lot so it's far less aggressive in dumping apps from memory (less re-loading when switching).

The Lumia 920 will be $100 when it comes out. That's a good price for a flagship phone, and I'm sure it'll drop soon after.

I'd get an iPhone or Note2 and sell it for about $600+, then buy a Nexus 4 for $350.

Meh, I dunno if I'd get behind that... Sure you can get it with more NAND storage than the One X, but you also give up LTE. You get a better GPU but you give up battery life... You do get more RAM which could help with heavy heavy multitasking, and wireless charging (still seems gimmicky to me), it's a series of tradeoffs IMO. You could come ahead with the Nexus tho, cost-wise, whereas the One X's just $0.01. :p

For all of Anandtech's fawning over GPU performance, it's not gonna make much of a difference on Android unless you're driving a super high res display like the Nexus 10's. Vast majority of Android games are coded for the lowest common denominator, and those that aren't are optimized for Tegra due to NVidia's marketing bucks and dev relationships.

Last edited:
Get a note 2

If he won't spend $200 on a phone, what makes you think he'll spend $300? It's an awesome recommendation, if you like phablets, but he's already stated that it's out of his budget.

If you want to save some money, check Amazon/Best Buy for deals on the GS3, they'll have it for $100 now & then. Or call and speak to a rep, mention the cracked screen, and kind of dramatize "OH, the $200 price is WAY too much for me". I ended up getting the GS3 for free that way.

Costco and Radio Shack also run good deals at times, CompUSA recently got into the game too if you have any nearby. They undercut everyone else when my mother got her One X. Amazon and Wirefly usually have good deals online.

Keep one thing in mind: Amazon's return policy is so good, it's worth spending the extra money. They gave me 85% of my money back ($585 total) when my international GNexus died, 8 months later. That's just ridiculously good customer service.

Your best choices by price:

For $0.01, HTC One (Amazon)

For $50, HTC 8X (straight from AT&T)

For $100, Nokia Lumia 920 with a wireless charging pad (AT&T) and the Samsung Galaxy S3 (Amazon).

Beyond $100 is above the point of reason for buying AT&T phones on contract.

Honorable Mentions:
For $300, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (AT&T) and the unlocked LG Nexus 4 (Google Play Store)

Some people might still prefer the original X... Better audio and battery life vs more storage and a better front cam, meh.

One thing to be aware of though: the AT&T-specific One X has a locked bootloader. Really bad if you're going to be into ROMs. The international One X has an unlocked bootloader (AT&T probably coerced HTC into this).

Is the 1GB of RAM in the OneX/+ vs. the 2GB of RAM in the S3 a big deal?

I'm still convincing myself to forgo LTE and grab the Nexus 4 instead of a S3... Staying on AT&T.

It might help with heavy heavy multi tasking, in the sense that apps will remain in memory longer when suspended so they won't have to reload when called upon... I haven't seen anyone point out a situation where it makes a huge difference tho. Android's pretty good about memory management.

Is the 1GB of RAM in the OneX/+ vs. the 2GB of RAM in the S3 a big deal?
Nope, like Impulse said. Sense UI has gone minimalistic since launch too. The Samsung HAD to add an additional Gig to the US variants because they needed one other "pro" to stand out against the One X, which in most areas that counts is superior to the GS3 - better display, better camera, better battery life (despite having a smaller battery and using the same SoC), better built-quality.

Back