New Asus ROG monitor....

I wish there was more 27" 1440p monitors with better specs like this; I really wish I could get something that size/res with HDR 1000, Freesync 2, and a true 10 bit panel(not sure if this is). I would prefer something better than the 90% DCI-P3 coverage that this has though, I'm also not sure if compressing the signal is a good idea but it wouldn't be necessary on a 1440p monitor.

I would be willing to pay more for something like that but I guess the overall market might be small.

I wish there was more 27" 1440p monitors with better specs like this; I really wish I could get something that size/res with HDR 1000, Freesync 2, and a true 10 bit panel(not sure if this is). I would prefer something better than the 90% DCI-P3 coverage that this has though, I'm also not sure if compressing the signal is a good idea but it wouldn't be necessary on a 1440p monitor.

I would be willing to pay more for something like that but I guess the overall market might be small.

Everything you said, especially about DCI-P3. And make mine 32" and 4K :)

DSC adds latency, just FYI. You're not going to be able to utilize the full 144 Hz at 4K for a while, anyway.

It's 8-bit+FRC. You're not going to get "true" 10-bit unless you pay for a professional monitor. I'd be surprised if your average person could tell the difference between a 10-bit color image presented using dithering and one that does not, especially while gaming which is what this monitor is made for.

Looks like what many of us have been waiting for. The chipsets are over a year old now but GPUs have lagged behind until recently. Just I guess it's a VA panel instead of IPS with those colour gamut specs?
Make it IPS or OLED and I'm in... Dp1.4, DSC, HDR1000, 10Bit and I'm a happy man.

Do you manufacturers not want our money? lol

Almost sounds like something from Eizo, but it certainly is NOT a gaming type monitor:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...bk_coloredge_cg279x_hardware_calibration.html

It's 8-bit+FRC. You're not going to get "true" 10-bit unless you pay for a professional monitor. I'd be surprised if your average person could tell the difference between a 10-bit color image presented using dithering and one that does not, especially while gaming which is what this monitor is made for.
I think the difference between 8 bit and 8 bit +FRC is much greater than the difference between 8 bit +FRC and true 10 bit, honestly it's probably the idea that it's being faked that bothers me more than the practical difference. I made sure to get something with dithered 10 bit since it was the best available in monitors that met my other needs but I would have been willing to pay more for true 10 bit if everything else was equal.

Almost sounds like something from Eizo, but it certainly is NOT a gaming type monitor:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...bk_coloredge_cg279x_hardware_calibration.html
If I could get something like that with a decent response time and low input lag I probably would have, but like you said it's not a gaming monitor.

I realize what I really want isn't reasonable at this point I just wish that there was more smaller monitors coming out with some of the features we're starting to see on larger models.

Check this bad boy out. https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...hd-curved-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49rg90ssnxza/ bigger then you want. 95% dci. But it is 49". But it can be 2 - 27" if you so desire to split it.

Is it still worth it to have buy an expensive LCD for gaming?

I have a 34" Rog that I really like, but its a few years old and locked to 100Hz. I'm ready for 144Hz or faster. But 43" seems like overkill... i'd have to see one in action I think. Probably going to be a >$1000 item.

Is it still worth it to have buy an expensive LCD for gaming?
I guess that depends on the type of gaming you do? for racing sims, I guess getting a curved 49" monitor wouldn't be a terrible idea, but that same monitor would be less than useless for RTS gaming, since you're limited by a FOV anyway, so the majority of the screen would be cropped anyway (speaking strictly from a competitive perspective, ie. Starcarft). I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but "gaming monitor" is a rather broad statement, and no two monitors are alike.

I'm itching to get the ROG Swift PG35VQ... but still not available apparently.

200 Hz
HDR
35" curved VA Panel, 3440x1440
Quantum Dots
G-Sync

Its not quite 4K resolution, but that should make it easier to hit 200Hz... probably take a 2080Ti to get the most out of it.

I guess that depends on the type of gaming you do? for racing sims, I guess getting a curved 49" monitor wouldn't be a terrible idea, but that same monitor would be less than useless for RTS gaming, since you're limited by a FOV anyway, so the majority of the screen would be cropped anyway (speaking strictly from a competitive perspective, ie. Starcarft). I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but "gaming monitor" is a rather broad statement, and no two monitors are alike.

Ha, I play StarCraft 2 almost every day. Can't imagine myself doing it on such a screen, though

I wish there were more 40"+ options with specs like this. Once you've gone to a larger display like that, you can't go back.

I'm also not sure if compressing the signal is a good idea but it wouldn't be necessary on a 1440p monitor.

It shouldn't be necessary on this monitor either at 8-bit depth. 144hz at 3840x2160x24bit comes out to only 28.7Gbps

I'd love to pay more to get more, but I'm already a niche within a niche within a niche before I even get going on the monitor. I love having an ultrawide most of the time, but there are some application UIs which really don't translate well to that aspect ratio, so I'd love something with some more vertical space. I also use my machine 95% for work, so having great color coverage and generally higher resolution would be really nice for that. Sure, no video card on the market today is ready for a full 4K shooter at max settings, but I can always turn down the resolution for games. Conversely, I can't turn the resolution up for work if the pixels aren't there to begin with.

It just seems like there is very little in the space between $400 gaming screens which are ok for work and $2k work screens which suck for gaming.

I have a pos Samsung which i am worried about color accuracy.
Thinking this one when it comes out...
https://www.monitornerds.com/msi-prestige-ps341wu-review/

I have a Lg 34um61 (1080p) and I regret the size/lack of curvature. Unless you sit pretty far back you lose the edges in your periphery which means a lot of looking side to side. Next time I'm going to create a cardboard cutout of a monitor to see how it fits my field of vision.

Asus did exposed world’s first microLED display panel.

Anyways the point is Asus is definitely after capturing the monitor business and gamers are their main target.

They actually had a Mini-LED backlit monitor they were showing with much greater control over the backlighting levels which is not the same thing as a MicroLED monitor.

I wouldn't buy a new monitor until HDMI 1.4 gets adopted by video cards and displays. I want 4k @ 120hz 10bpc without any compression, and there is nothing on the market right now that can deliver it.

I'm itching to get the ROG Swift PG35VQ... but still not available apparently.

Been waiting on this forever too - but it's probably gonna be stupid expensive compared to my AW341DW with some ROG brand tax thrown on top.

At the rate ASUS is going, the LG Nano IPS will be out first and I might just go with that assuming the price isn't insane and reviews are good.

At the rate things are going, we're going to have entry level GPUs capable of pumping fully ray traced 8K games at 240fps by the time we get the first monitor that isn't a bottom-scraping $300 1440p ultrawide.

Looks like what many of us have been waiting for. The chipsets are over a year old now but GPUs have lagged behind until recently. Just I guess it's a VA panel instead of IPS with those colour gamut specs?
Make it IPS or OLED and I'm in... Dp1.4, DSC, HDR1000, 10Bit and I'm a happy man.

Do you manufacturers not want our money? lol
Had the same thought, looks like a VA panel so I’m out. Still waiting (probably forever) for OLED to become viable below 55” and offer high native res refresh rate + FreeSync.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I'm holding out for a new displayport or hdmi version before getting rid of my xb270hu i bought from somebody here in 2015. It has worked fine since then, hopefully it keeps it up.

Still waiting (probably forever) for OLED to become viable below 55” and offer high native res refresh rate

I had read somewhere that the 2019 LG OLED TVs were supposed to do 120hz native but I guess that didn't happen. Would've helped get one step closer towards high refresh OLED monitors.

I want to know how it differs from LED and the MiniLED technology

Mini LEDs are just a smaller/denser form of normal LEDs. Outside of a jumbotron you're not going to be able to use them to make a display directly; they just open up the ability to have more/smaller in size zones for backlighting. Current generation tech is IIRC capable of ~1000 zones on a 30" class monitor.

MicroLEDs are an attempt to make conventional non organic LEDs (via lithography?) as an alternative to OLED for an emissive display. I don't think anyone has them in production yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: aQi
like this
I still prefer Ultrawide for gaming vs 4K. Those are impressive specs however for a 4K res.

What are the upsides and downsides to a VA Quantum Dot panel, vs an IPS panel...

Last edited:
Had the same thought, looks like a VA panel so I’m out. Still waiting (probably forever) for OLED to become viable below 55” and offer high native res refresh rate + FreeSync.
A dream come true. But for longevity I'll settle for IPS for now. Oled or Miniled is definitely the future though!!! Cheers

What are the upsides and downsides to a VA Quantum Dot panel, vs an IPS panel...
There are probably many folks here much better educated on real world / user experience differences (so take with salt), but as for the technical differences:

Quantum dot is a backlighting technology, which could presumably be applied to an or IPS or VA panel. As I understand, quantum dot lighting allows for improved colors (generally brighter/more vivid colors) over more common backlight technologies. With that in mind, the typical pros/cons between VA and IPS panels largely still apply.

Layering on quantum dot backlighting to a VA panel mainly addresses one of the common cons for VA which is reduced color vibrancy and color reproduction vs IPS.

I still prefer Ultrawide for gaming vs 4K. Those are impressive specs however for a 4K res.

I would if all games supported running at 21:9 or whatever the aspect ratio ends up being. Some games handle it better than others, and you have companies like EA and Blizzard that historically have opposed aspect ratios that "provide an unfair advantage" over other players. As long as that kind of horse shit is going on, I'll stick with more commonly acceptable aspect ratios. That and I prefer a large format 16:9 or any 16:10 monitor to an ultra-wide for productivity work.

Back