New ASUS ROG GX700 Gaming Laptop With Water Cooling Images

I believe I see quick disconnects on that monstrosity.

This is the bad execution of a terrible gimmick.

As if the heavy ROG series laptops weren't enough weight as is.....

ASUS must have forgotten the reason behind getting a laptop is PORTABILITY. As cool as a feature this is it defeats the purpose if not portable. Just stick with a PC.

Could Asus laptops be any more ugly? It's like they hired the concept people from all those "slap you in the face" "totally cool" action movies :-/ (xxx, transporter, fast n furious, etc) and had them design a slap you in the face cool laptop...what happened to a nice clean sleek tasteful look.

The bracketing on those rads is insane... it covers like 1/4 their potential surface area. I also feel like they could have just as easily, even more easily perhaps, got a 2x120 rad in the same space. Don't get it.

Still, neat idea.

This reminds me of some of the weird stuff that Alienware was doing in the 2000's

how bitchin' would i look at office meetings, pulling one of these out, while everyone else is using their totally-not-bitchin' lenovos and dells? yeah.

As if the heavy ROG series laptops weren't enough weight as is.....

ASUS must have forgotten the reason behind getting a laptop is PORTABILITY. As cool as a feature this is it defeats the purpose if not portable. Just stick with a PC.

This is a gaming machine. A desktop replacement. I don't think anyone ever expected, or expects this to be portable.

There goes portability.

To their credit it still works fine away from the unit, that just lets you OC. Honestly not the worst solution, I just wish they made a less "YEAH! EXTREME! GAMEZ!" version, as honestly most of us with the kind of money to drop on that setup aren't 18 years old with multiple facial piercings and a neck tattoo.

How could you say this is a portable laptop? All 17" and higher laptop are barely portable. This most likely a gimmick but has potential if the watercool is effective for overclocking the GPU and mind you, this is the 980 GTX desktop not the M version. It's ugly yes, but we'll wait for review.

I would thing if this is for OCing, it would be more piratical to have good internal cooling in the first place, and an external GPU enclosure. That dock needs some port expansions too.

Well, of course this isn't a portable laptop, I personally call it luggable. As for the cooling solution it sure seems interesting, not that I'm in the market for this but I wonder what kind of performance factor is gained from the attached LC system. Seems like a pretty hefty system with a separate loop for cpu and vga. What kind of performance and ugh, battery life can this deliver in a laptop mode? I dare to end bring up cost question in this. Still, pretty crazy solution. Time will tell how reliable and leak proof this setup will be. I think warranty would be interesting on this given the cooling solution.

This would have made sense if it integrated another full desktop GPU in that dock akin to AW's Graphics Amplifier (why the heckfire didn't hey do this??) However, this looks like it's just a glorified couple radiators to cool the mobile GPU when docked. That's gonna get you what... a hundred or so extra MHz on a 980m/990m. So not worth it for the extra cost, bulk and hassle.

This attachment is a marketing exercise at best. They're just trying to sell the laptop it attaches to, which is actually pretty thin for the specs. A lot better than the last gen ones at least.

Asus will be marketing suitcases for lugging all this craziness around. :D

I don't understand the use. Why not take your desktop if you need serious compute power?

For everyone saying "laptops are about portability" and "just buy a desktop"...I get where you are coming from as a fellow [H] member, but the idea behind this is to have a functional laptop that is portable, but then you come home and plug into this baby if you want to do some serious gaming. This is for people who want portability but don't want to buy a whole other machine for gaming.

That said, I have serious concerns about leaking with this thing.

I just see it as totally unnecessary and not needed. If I wanted to do serious gaming and over clocking, such that would require or benefit from water cooling, I would build a fucking desktop gaming PC. This shit is just stupid. You can't tell me you need to lug around that shit because there is no gaming laptop out there that can't handle your needs. There are some fucking awesome ones out there. And if you have the money to shell out for this thing, you sure as hell have money to own a really good gaming laptop AND a dedicated desktop gaming machine that is water cooled if you so please.

Telcon.Zorba.front.jpg

going back to this is NOT ideal.

This is a gaming machine. A desktop replacement. I don't think anyone ever expected, or expects this to be portable.

Not much of a desktop replacement when it requires a desktop environment to be of any use.

I dunno... that seems like something that'll fit in a backpack. Laptop holder and the usual compartment infront of it would fit just fine. Taking it out and stuff is a bit unweildy though, but still, it's better than lugging a midtower for a lan meeting, if people still do that.

The 980 notebook card is colloquially referred to as the 990m :)

And I wouldn't say it's NVidia's answer to Nano as it's an MXM binned notebook card, whereas the Nano is a full PCI-E desktop card -- two totally different markets.

it's still a slightly downclocked, 144W, all-2048-cores-enabled desktop 980. the physical interface doesn't matter, it's still PCI-E 3.0 based.

btw this is the first time i've read about someone calling this a 990m o_O

This is a much better concept. Houses DESKTOP class gpu (think Titan) and is a REAL ultrabook when you undock it weighing in at under 3 lbs.

gfsSpEo.jpg

This is a much better concept. Houses DESKTOP class gpu (think Titan) and is a REAL ultrabook when you undock it weighing in at under 3 lbs.

I agree with you, but technically the GPU in the GX700 is also desktop-class...it's a full GTX 980.

***IMAGE CUT***

Where do I buy this setup and how many goats must be sacrificed?

Back