New Asus HDCP Motherboard

on ebay, I searched "asus spdif" and got some hits, but they are much more expensive than what I paid.

Asus's site keeps going down when I try to search, so I can't find the exact model number. I do remember that you can get them from Asus if you call.

pugetsystems.com lists them as

ASUS SPDIF Connector
Model: Asus C-1OOG6

I bought one from them and then realized I payed WAY too much. Oh well, at least I got one waiting to go with my M2NPV-VM board and X2 3600+ (when I find time to install it).

If you don't mind drilling your own PCI bracket, I got my SPDIF header for my MSI K8NGM2-FID from FrontX for $6.60 shipped.

I think I may have had to take a paperclip and move one of the leads over a pin in the connector, but it was really easy to do.

Sigh...too much hardware this month. Still need to find a new laptop for my wife to replace her smoked one (besides the one I bought her). Means no new high performance media player for the threate...but back on topic.

I got the new board up and running (I use this lighly). Current setup

That board
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane
2GB of A-Data RAM (happened to drop price the day I was going to buy)
320GB Drive
Antec PSU
Random Case I had laying around since nobody is gonna see this box but me :)
2x PVR150
1x Random DVD drive

Installed all HW except the tuner cards. Took the PC downstairs an immediately hooked it up the DVI-D port (it isn't DVI-I...sorta sucky if you happen to have a DVI-I cable). Set PJ to Digital PC...no dice. Turn off PC, set PJ to Digital HDCP (just in case) and fire PC back up...no dice. Leave both on and connect and remove cable. NO FREAKING DICE. Finally said screw it and used the VGA port and immediately had a picture on my Z2. Oh well, at least we were heading in the correct direction. I made an assumption then that the DVI port didn't work w/o a driver (weak assumption I know, but I was trying to be hopeful).

XP SP2 install went like silk. Used the default drivers that came with the board (not OC'ing or anything). Waited 20 minutes for the 70+ post SP2 patches :p Did the standard crap I usually do with every build. An hour later I have my base plaform.

As for the board. Very sexy, nice, and easy. The "limited" BIOS is a of a shock to me (can't even slow down your RAM) but you do have some OC ability. But since I bought this board to work with the 3600 Brisbane (I was just serving files) and long term stability, not a real loss to me. But don't get your hopes up...this board is still just a vanilla MATX board that just happens to have HDCP support.

This is where I wasted about 3 hours of my life that I really wish I could get back. I tried EVERYTHING and my mother to get my Z2 to light up...it just wouldn't. The X1250 chipset detects my Z2 just fine. When I plug in the cable, it shows up in catalyst via the EDID info. However, no matter what I do it will not display a picture. I set it for 1280x720p, 60Hz. No joy. It didn't matter if it was clone, extended, single, etc. Nothing worked. Just to make sure, connected the DVI-D cable back to my DVD player...pretty picture. I'm not sure what to do here other that find somebody with a LCD panel that support digital in. Clues anyone....evidently I need one.

So something is funny. Either my Z2 is super fussy or the DVI-D port on this SOB is borked. EDID info is transmitted on seperate lines IIRC. Oh well, no pretty HD pictures.

I'm wondering if Amd (ATI) still has crappy drivers for digital out to an HDTV display.

I did have similar issues with my Dell moniter and my 7900GS; at first it would only work if I used VGA out. Not sure what I did to fix it, probably new drivers I'm thinking.

Anyways, upgrading over the next couple of weeks :D :
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=249027
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103036
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145098&CMP=AFC-Techreport&ATT=20-145-098

That Biostar board looks great (i usually use Asus, but i getting sick of their slow website.).. if someone does a build with this, please post your results with the hdmi and hd-dvd, i need to know that that it can hack it with the onboard video before i upgrade from my Asus 6150 AM2 board, but i do not think the 6150 is enough power and i really do not want a "real" video card in my HTPC, because of heat....

I'm wondering if Amd (ATI) still has crappy drivers for digital out to an HDTV display.

That is not beyond doubt...I had to fight a little bit to get my 7800GTX to work with my Z2...but it was more token resistance than anything. The good thing about digital, is when it works, well, it works. But when it doesn't...you got nothing to go on other than "it doesn't work" typically.

But still what has me is that I get no display picture even at boot on the DVI-D which means it might be more than drivers :( The Z2 has always been a PITA with HDCP, I might have to snag one of those boxes which records the EDID and keeps it active regardless of the state of the PJ. I'll keep digging, but as of now...on a sample of 1, this board is "teh suck" in regards to hooking up to a PJ.

As much as these "onboard" solutions are nice...I still haven't found one that does the "gimcs" correctly.

The only thing that kills this for me at the moment is the lack of S-video output :( Maybe one day I will talk the wife into getting a HD TV, but probably not until this old 27" dies :mad:

with the prices on nice LCDs as they are, I would be tempted to help that old 27" to it's grave a little faster.

"honey, the TV's all messed up!?!"

"gee, that's too bad. It was getting a little long in the tooth anyways. Want to go shopping for a new one with me tommarrow?" :D

Well...I think I figured out why the DVI port wasn't working with my projector. It appears that digital input on my DVI-I connector is failed. What boggles me is it was working a 1/2 hour before I first connected it to that motherboard. Tried it with 2 different DVI cables and 2 more sources (another PC and a stand alone player) but no joy. I probably would be annoyed as I am right now because it would give me an excuse to buy a new PJ other than I just bought a new lamp.

Maybe i'll just have to breakdown...sell the lamp and PJ for parts and snag a full 1080P PJ. :D

If you are in the market looking for a projector, here's what I'm looking at getting very soon.
BenQ W9000 DLP 1080p (1100 lumens) - $3655 @ BeachAudio

I want to go with the DLP because I'm primarily using it for movies, and DLP gives a much better cinema look. It also got very good reviews from numerous projector websites comparing it to other 1080p projectors. Not only that, but it has very fair pricing. I don't think you could find a better one for under $3600.

Ah I see. You might want to go check out these new DLP projectors in the store. If you can notice any 'rainbow' effect or any other adverse flicker from the new generation DLP color wheels, you must be superhuman. :p

Unfortunately I’m horribly sensitive to the spinning color wheel. Only way I would ever be able to go DLP is with a 3 chip setup. :(

I am fully convinced that the rainbow effect is something you grow out of as you get used to it. When I first got my DLP, I experienced the rainbow effect horribly, especially in older black and white movies. Now, I can't see it even if I rip my eyeballs back and forth across the screen as fast as I can. Try bearing with it, I think you will find that it doesn't bug you as much once you get used to it.

I am fully convinced that the rainbow effect is something you grow out of as you get used to it. When I first got my DLP, I experienced the rainbow effect horribly, especially in older black and white movies. Now, I can't see it even if I rip my eyeballs back and forth across the screen as fast as I can. Try bearing with it, I think you will find that it doesn't bug you as much once you get used to it.

<=== same, i dont see anymore rainbows :p

Still affects me. Every year I go to the local overpriced "Home Theatre" store and look at the current DLP PJ's. The ones with the color wheel still affect me in less than a minute. I can feel the tension in the back of my eyes and my forhead. :( Always fun running out of a meeting to throw-up because of a projector. :D

Oh well...no HD DVD or Blu-Ray for me for at least a year. Got 1280x720p to work with VGA and component on the PJ. I really miss the 1:1 mapping via DVI-D but the overscan is <2% which is tolerable. Guess I will have to live vicariously through the people here.

In good news.. the component video from my 7800GTX is pretty damn nice. Much better than I was hoping for.

Back