New artificial intelligence model to bridge biology and chemistry

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Generative biology meets generative chemistry: Bidirectional conditional autoencoder to generate novel molecular structures for the desired transcriptional response"

""This paper shows that it is possible to generate novel molecular structures that induce the desired transcriptional response. At Insilico, we have been working on this project since 2016 and have created critical intellectual property covering the original ideas in generative biology proposed and patented by Alex Zhavoronkov and Alex Aliper. I hope that the generative chemistry and biology developed at Insilico will become household tools for big pharmaceutical companies. Many of these tools are available in our upcoming AI platform soon to be available for deployment at customer premises", said Daniil Polykovskiy, group leader at Insilico Medicine and senior author of the study. "

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/im-nai051920.php

You think taking the common cold and souping it up in a lab is dangerous i.e. covid19, HIV, SARs, etc... wait till you see what AI crafted protein products can yield. The shit they will be ablw to create. And worse is that this all being sold as some friendly pharma solution. This kind of playing god should be completely banned on the governmental levels.

No I didnt read the study, only the abstract.

You think taking the common cold and souping it up in a lab is dangerous i.e. covid19, HIV, SARs, etc... wait till you see what AI crafted protein products can yield. The shit they will be ablw to create. And worse is that this all being sold as some friendly pharma solution. This kind of playing god should be completely banned on the governmental levels.

No I didnt read the study, only the abstract.

And what if AI cures cancer? What if AI cures Alzheimer's?

Well, it's a hell of a gamble! Might get the cure for cancer, might get super Ebola, who knows.

We cant limit ourselves on what MIGHT happen. You might get in a crash and die the next time you drive your car. Does that stop you? No. You manage the risk by wearing a seatbelt. We should do the same...manage the risk. We should not simply ban it because its too dangerous. thats short sighted.

We cant limit ourselves on what MIGHT happen. You might get in a crash and die the next time you drive your car. Does that stop you? No. You manage the risk by wearing a seatbelt. We should do the same...manage the risk. We should not simply ban it because its too dangerous. thats short sighted.

I don't really think it should be banned, I was just pointing out a risk. Generally I'm not worried about it, but I'm not sure it's wise to assume there are no bad actors who might go looking for nasty stuff.

I don't really think it should be banned, I was just pointing out a risk. Generally I'm not worried about it, but I'm not sure it's wise to assume there are no bad actors who might go looking for nasty stuff.

Oh I agree there is risk. I think we HAVE to assume there are bad actors who will try to use it to kill us. Just like they do with cars, planes, nuclear material etc. IMO its all about properly managing the risk.

Of course there's a risk. There is in everything we do. The problem is that someone is going to make tech like this weather we like it or not. It's like any tool. you can use it for good or bad. Banning this kind of research is like banning people from owning a hammer. even if you did, I can still make one in my garage.

Like everyone else I hope this is used for good. The thought of a weaponized disease like rabies is rather frightening though.

Reactions: kju1
like this
And that, my dear comrade, is why we should sell DIY nuclear reactors on amazon for general public. Look at all the good it may bring for a typical household!!

And if we did it your way there wouldn't be any electric in anyones house because it's too dangerous that someone might use it for nefarious purposes. /sarcasm.

Back