new arctcic 5.1 headset, what speaker settings to use? $50

oROEchimaru

Supreme [H]ardness
I purchased on amazon ($50 if interested) 5.1 arctic headphones. i like their warranty square trade options as well since i break headsets like crazy lol. anywho they are 5.1 headphones...

the blueprints are 5.1.... which is odd as well. youtube THX and surround set tests have not been helpful. The "Postal Service, Radio Head, Diablo 3 and Pink Floyd test" seems a bit more useful.

Windows 7 speaker options in the sound utility:
a. stereo
b. 5.1
c. 7.1

Stupid: you can have any windows 7 speaker config + adjust the drivers to a different setting (5.1 win + 7.1 drivers makes no sense). The drivers can have 2, 4, 6, and 8 channels, another wtf.

5.1: in most situations just naturally sounds great when used, there are a few songs like "interesteller overdrive" that has one of the best surround sound effects from the 1960's pink floyd.... at the end it just doesn't get the panning right in the song vs stereo. this was recorded in mono or stereo before they became a quadrophonic band.

stereo: it sounds good but not consistently as "spot on" as using the 5.1 speaker set. however this head set has speaker controls (front, rear, center, sub). This device built on the cord only works in stereo mode. you can play with the dials during a song and hear the front/rear/center/sub options fade in and out. it sounds better than stereo headphones. i'm not 100% sure however that it sounds better than windows attempting 5.1 through the speaker setup.

7.1: i swear in some sounds it pops because its a 5.1 headset, i'm not 100% sure at this point. the sound card software from the built in sound card, states 7.1 is an option as well with dolby virtual 7.1 surround sound as well. HOWEVER, it is a 5.1 headset and no where advertises 7.1. i believe the driver package is a bit universal.

other dilemma:
if you go into the driver software instead of windows, the options are: (xear 3d)
stereo: sounds crappy
4 speakers: no sub
6 speakers: current setting, its not clear if it is doing 5.1 since the diagrams appear that its really front, rear then sub/center combined.
7.1 : again why have this option when it isnt advertised as a 7.1 headset.

http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Sound-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332683465&sr=1-1

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/sound/headsets/33/p531.html?c=2187

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i changed the drivers to 7.1, now when i adjust in windows between 5.1 and 7.1 it updates the channels in the drivers from 6ch to 8ch or down to 6ch which is at least helpful.

however if i change the drivers to "6 speakers" since 5.1 is not an option... then that doesnt occur.

as stated originally, if windows isnt set to stereo then the dials on the headset do not function accept for volume... if in stereo you can manually adjust the surround sound.

going to try:
windows: 5.1, with "full range speakers" unchecked so sub is used instead of through the small surround speakers so they do not blow out

drivers: it auto switched to 6CH

dials on headset: only volume works. VERY ODD.

I am confused of what you are asking. If you have a true 5.1 headset and try to set it up to 7.1 of course it is not going to sound right.

If they're listed as 5.1 I would assume 5.1 is the correct one, both in windows and in the sound software. Do they sell a 7.1 set? Maybe they just use the same software for both, so you see the option even though you aren't supposed to use it.

Not sure about the volume control bit, might want to ask the manufacturer.

Surround sound headphones are limited in how accurate they can be by the placement of the speakers though, so it may not be real obvious even once it's set up correctly.

Back