New Apple Keyboard Questions

nightelfmaster

Limp Gawd
Hi, I was wondering for those that have one of the newer apple keyboards (the slim ones), how good is it for typing? I have a preference for laptop type keyboards, and am thinking of picking up one of these keyboards. Do you find any problems with them or major differences from a windows keyboard that might take getting used to? Are there any other similar keyboards that may be cheaper/better?

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering for those that have one of the newer apple keyboards (the slim ones), how good is it for typing? I have a preference for laptop type keyboards, and am thinking of picking up one of these keyboards. Do you find any problems with them or major differences from a windows keyboard that might take getting used to? Are there any other similar keyboards that may be cheaper/better?

Thanks

I have had one for months now, and it's a pain in the ass whenever I move to a 'regular' keyboard. If you like typing on rock solid keyboards, and like the macbook keyboard layout, then you'll love the slim apple keyboards.

I don't have a mac yet but I was at a customers today that had one, and I loved it!

I've replaced all my keyboards with the new aluminum one. I like its "feel" and really enjoy using them. The only keyboards I think are better are the old IBM and Northgate mechanical switch type boards, which are (sadly) virtually impossible to find anymore.

-Brian

for all you bootcampers, use Input Remapper to rearrange yer Mac KB to reflect windows KB layout...

Flip the Fn with the Control, and Alt and apple to become Windows and Alt Keys..

I use the new keyboard and love it for typing. I too prefer laptop style keyboards and this is fantastic.

Hey, here is a quick question hopefully some of you can answer shortly for me about my Mac keyboard for my iMac:

The end or home button doesn't work in firefox when I am typing, is it broken or is there a setting I am missing?
Thank you for all your help,

I love it. I've typed a lot of papers with it with no problem. I don't know if it has the same antibiotic microfilm that Logitech uses for their keyboards (my 4 year old MX700 Duo's keyboard is still clean on the top) and I don't think I'll ever know without them telling because I keep hand purifier beside it.

EGGO, how likely do you think it is that you will actually catch some kind of disease off your keyboard? My hands are clean and my keyboard is clean but I don't use hand sanitizer every time I touch a surface - I'd go insane. There are germs *everywhere* and I don't really think that if it's your personal keyboard that it would be a big deal. In a public environment, maybe, but I still do think that is overkill.

To the thread starter - the keyboard is awesome, end of story.

I recently bought one for my PC after hunting around for months for a good scissor key style keyboard to replace my Logitech G15. I like low-profile/low-keypress keyboard for both typing and gaming. I searched around for a while, finally settling on a Razer Lycosa which was an overpriced piece of crap that I ended up tossing. Finally it occurred to me that what I was looking for was the keyboard that I was using with my iMac that whole time. I got one for my PC now and couldn't be happier.

The only issue I have with my apple keyboard is using print screen. None of the keys map to it. In games unless there is a keybinding for it I cant take screen shots.

The only issue I have with my apple keyboard is using print screen. None of the keys map to it. In games unless there is a keybinding for it I cant take screen shots.

Command+Shift+3 Takes a screenshot
Command+Shift +4 Allows you to choose what you want to take a picture of
Command+Shift+4 (and then press spacebar) Has you take a picture of a window.

EGGO, how likely do you think it is that you will actually catch some kind of disease off your keyboard? My hands are clean and my keyboard is clean but I don't use hand sanitizer every time I touch a surface - I'd go insane. There are germs *everywhere* and I don't really think that if it's your personal keyboard that it would be a big deal. In a public environment, maybe, but I still do think that is overkill.

To the thread starter - the keyboard is awesome, end of story.

No it's not about the germs. I'm probably far from being a germophobe. But I do want to make sure there's no difrt on my keyboard. I don't like it when it begins to have that crud on it and I was spoiled by Logitech with their one keyboard to not have that build up no matter what condition my hands were in. In the Apple Keyboard, I don't know if it has that, and my hands have felt dirty after prolonged use so I either use that or find an excuse to do something so I can wash my hands. I just hate that sticky feeling. Otherwise you won't see me having a problem with eating dropped food or not washing my veggies/fruits before I eat them or whatever, I could care less about the germs.

Command+Shift+3 Takes a screenshot
Command+Shift +4 Allows you to choose what you want to take a picture of
Command+Shift+4 (and then press spacebar) Has you take a picture of a window.

I should probly have been more clear. I use my apple keyboard (wireless) on my mac mini and on my PC system. Do those key sequences work in vista?

Those keyboard shortcuts only work on os-X

I have 3 of the aluminum slim keyboards (wired) and I love them. I bough one and went back for 2 more the next week. They are very solid, and the keys have a great feel to them. They are very responsive and have a nice springy feeling when you release the keys. They are also nice and quite which is great.

I say get one, you will not regret it. I am thinking of ordering a wireless one for my HTPC this summer.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for replying to my post. I have decided to get the wired keyboard after all =).

I should probly have been more clear. I use my apple keyboard (wireless) on my mac mini and on my PC system. Do those key sequences work in vista?
Whoa... you can use these slim Apple keyboards on a PC? I thought they were only compatible with Mac's OS. I love that new slim wireless Apple keyboard.

Whoa... you can use these slim Apple keyboards on a PC? I thought they were only compatible with Mac's OS. I love that new slim wireless Apple keyboard.

Its just a bluetooth keyboard, I'm pretty sure you could even use it with a PS3 if you wanted. :)

I use the wireless version with my mac min and the wired version with my PC. Have to have the numberic keypad there.

I'm using the wired version with my PC. It's fucking ace, it is. Probably my all-time favorite keyboard, to be honest.

I use the old BT apple keyboard. I love the numpad goodness with the wireless sexiness.

agreed, the new thin aluminum keyboards are amazing. even more so if you prefer laptop keyboards.

i just picked up a wired keyboard and the wireless mighty mouse today.
i've got to say, the keyboard is terrific. takes a bit of time to get used to, but once you do, it types wonderfully. and its dead sexy.

I would love to get the wireless one, but I want a numpad, so looks like I'll be sticking with the wired. I wish Apple would release a wireless WITH a numpad also. And ocbaud, how do you like the mighty mouse?

Hi, thanks for all the help guys. I recently got a wired version of the keyboard, but i'm having trouble getting the volume buttons and the other buttons on the function keys to work. Are there any programs that I should be installing to get these keys to work? What do you recommend?

Back