New Apple IPOD Photo 60GB for $200

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say when it's too good to be true... a 60 gb ipod photo for $200?! Please someone tell me this is legit.

HiJon89 said:
lol no, the photo iPod has the ability to take pictures ;)

lol no, the photo iPod has the ability to view pictures.

And I have one.

And BTW guys, this a scam!

efloetry83 said:
scenario # 4
auction turns out to be fake and you get your money back because you used a protected credit card....right?
Actually... that depends. If he only takes PayPal, then your CC company will almost certainly not help you. Reason being the CC company did NOT pay the seller, they paid PayPal. Numerous people have been down this road before and it wasn't pretty. It is PayPal's responsibility to take care of you. Personally I've never had a problem with them but others have had horror stories -- bottom line is that PayPal's protection is not necessarily the same protection as that provided by your CC. So don't assume you'll be covered. Now if he has a merchant account or uses a payment processor and takes CC's directly, then you should be covered as usual for CC purchases.

PayPal does have a Buyer Protection Policy that covers you up to $1000 if filed within 45 days of the sale but this seller is apparently not eligible since it does not show up on his listing under his feedback box to the right. Only those auctions and sellers that qualify get this protection, I'm not sure why his doesn't but since it isn't shown HE IS NOT COVERED!

This deal sounds way too fishy to me. I've added the listing to my watch list just to keep an eye on it. Notice that he says he has 6000 units at the top of the listing, claims to have 500 units in this specific auction, but answers a question at the bottom of the listing that he has over 20,000 units to sell. Do you have to wait until the 500 are sold, or until the 6000 or even 20K are sold??? He doesn't say.

If he is at all "legit" it sounds like he might be just pre-selling, like maybe he negotiated a 20,000 unit block with Apple at a cost of, oh, $185 each in that kind of quantity (if that's even possible, still seems too low for a 60GB Photo). If he pre-sells the 20K units for $4,000,000 (yep, that's FOUR MILLION $$$) then he can buy the block from Apple for $3.7M and pocket $300K. Assuming he's legit and can even buy them for that, but since he's selling them for only $200 you know his "cost" has to be less than that... IF he is legit of course.

Waaaay to many "ifs" to make me want to risk $200...

Oh god I can't believe people are actually paying this guy. I feel so bad for them. I'm going to ask the guy for some pictures of the ipods he has.

his selling/history seems a bit of half and half. he does have a few large purchases here and there, and many smaller purchases of around 10$ value more or less. not sure if he is willing to risk this accout after all that effort, but then again, if he can get away with 500x$200 then i guess that explains it.

Is it jsut me or is there no picture of the ipod itself anywehre in the auction?

He might just be selling the accessories not the ipod itself:p
97_1_b.JPG

Worminater said:
Is it jsut me or is there no picture of the ipod itself anywehre in the auction?

He might just be selling the accessories not the ipod itself:p
97_1_b.JPG

good point.

Since when is "Unit will ship when all units have sold, Usually within (30 days)" a feature of an IPOD. He posted that in the middle of the features, like he was trying to hide it. That's fishy right there, it should have been at the begining or at the end of the auction info.

Selling this much and being eligible for buyer protection is also fishy as was noted above. Must not be PayPal verified then.

TimothyB said:
Since when is "Unit will ship when all units have sold, Usually within (30 days)" a feature of an IPOD. He posted that in the middle of the features, like he was trying to hide it. That's fishy right there, it should have been at the begining or at the end of the auction info.

Agreed. Does sound like he's trying to hide it. I bet you countless people asked him about "Unit will ship when all units have sold" and he won't answer the questions or post the answers on the page.

No offense - but to all the people running in the thread and saying "OMG THIS IS A SCAM kEKEKE ^____________^" Just shut up....until you actually try it - just please - shut up. Something can look suspisous.....does that prove someone with 100% feedback is a scam artist? No.

Cyraxx said:
No offense - but to all the people running in the thread and saying "OMG THIS IS A SCAM kEKEKE ^____________^" Just shut up....until you actually try it - just please - shut up. Something can look suspisous.....does that prove someone with 100% feedback is a scam artist? No.

Good point, now run off and lose your $200 so we can sit back and laugh at you when you get nothing. :rolleyes:

I wouldnt touch the deal myself.. Almost dropped a load though when I read the Initial Thread Title as I just purchased an Ipod Mini for $175 Shipped from Amazon Yesterday..

Dont give me a heart attack yall!

Cyraxx said:
Umm... so we can't talk about how suspicious it looks? We can't talk about something unless we buy it? I think you have it backwards. I think we should keep talking about how suspicious it is and keep trying to find out as much information as possible until we know that it isn't a scam. I think anyone saying it isn't a scam should shut up until he throws his own $200 at it to prove it isn't.

Cyraxx said:

So, hows that ocean front property in Arizona working out for you?

Definitely sounds too good to be true... there is some language on paypal's site about buyer protection through paypal buyer credit. Not sure how that would all work out, but I'm surely not buying any :)

Read the Q and A at the bottom of the auction.
His answers are all the same, but he at least admits that whatever address he ships to, he is going to snailmail spam it.

Malatov said:
PayPal does have a Buyer Protection Policy that covers you up to $1000 if filed within 45 days of the sale but this seller is apparently not eligible since it does not show up on his listing under his feedback box to the right. Only those auctions and sellers that qualify get this protection, I'm not sure why his doesn't but since it isn't shown HE IS NOT COVERED!

The $1000 limit is per *seller*. This makes Dutch auctions very tricky affairs. If this deal goes bad, the $1000 protection would be split 20,000 ways. Enjoy your nickel.

Box on the right, below seller info (on the ebay page):
$10 off your first purchase
if you sign up for PayPal Buyer Credit and make a purchase over $50.00 between 1/24/05 and 4/3/05. Subject to credit approval. US residents only.

What you get:
What are the benefits of having PayPal Buyer Credit?
PayPal Buyer Credit is a secure, convenient, and flexible way to fund your purchases made with PayPal, allowing you to shop now and pay later:

Makes any PayPal purchase more affordable with low monthly payments
Offers convenient, money-saving opportunities with promotional financing
Increases your purchasing power by adding another funding option
Covers your purchases with full Buyer Protection from PayPal
Lets you shop with ease anywhere PayPal is accepted
Saves money with no annual fees
Increases your total PayPal sending limit

Dunno, if paypal could guarantee it, almost ALMOST worth a nibble :)

He changed his username to ipodguy55. I also asked if I can do a pickup. I live in Missouri - but if he actually has them and allows pickup, then it'd be worth the gas money and time alone to pick up a couple of these.

About damn time.
Invalid Item
This listing (5762504115) has been removed by eBay or is no longer available. Please make sure that you've entered the item number correctly.
If the item was removed by eBay, please consider this transaction canceled. If anybody contacts you to complete the sale, please ignore the request. Completing the sale outside of eBay may be unsafe and will not be covered by eBay purchase protection programs.

jpmkm lets meet in lawrence and rough him up a little, maybe we can steal his computer and then go get a drink at a bar :p

Zamboni said:
The $1000 limit is per *seller*. This makes Dutch auctions very tricky affairs. If this deal goes bad, the $1000 protection would be split 20,000 ways. Enjoy your nickel.
Don't think so. Where'd you hear that? There is no mention whatsoever of "per seller" anywhere in the terms that I've seen:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_pbp-info-outside

Buyers

PayPal helps you buy with confidence on eBay. Before filing a claim, we encourage you to work with your seller since most issues can be resolved through direct communication. If you find it necessary to file a claim, your transaction may be covered by either PayPal Buyer Protection or the Buyer Complaint Process.

Transactions Covered by PayPal Buyer Protection

If you paid for an item and never received it or received an item that was significantly not as described, your transaction must meet each of the following requirements to be eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection:

* The PayPal Buyer Protection icon must be displayed in the Seller Information box on eBay
* Your purchase must be a physical item -- services and intangible items are not covered
* You must use PayPal to pay for the item and must use the seller's email address associated with the listing. To make sure of this, use the grey Pay Now button you'll see when the listing closes on eBay.

PayPal Buyer Protection Rules

* You may only file one claim per PayPal payment
* Claims must be filed within 45 days of the PayPal payment
* You may not file a claim if you are simply disappointed with the item you have received. Items must be significantly not as described or never received.
* You are limited to three PayPal Buyer Protection refunds per calendar year.
o Refunds issued on PayPal Buyer Credit transactions may apply towards this limit. Learn more by reviewing the PayPal Buyer Credit Policy.
* You must be willing to provide information during the investigation process. If we are unable to obtain the necessary information, your case may be cancelled without a refund.

TescoVee said:
Dunno, if paypal could guarantee it, almost ALMOST worth a nibble :)
You're talking about Buyer Credit, not Buyer Protection. Buyer Credit includes protection but it's a credit account that you have to apply and be approved for -- it's basically an eBay charge account. It would offer the protection though if you were approved and used it to purchase something that was BC qualified.

What we're talking about is Buyer Protection by itself, which applies to most auctions for tangible goods unless the seller is unverified or some other factor disqualifies the purchase. As in this case, the seller is (was) obviously not qualified as BP wasn't offered.

FYI.....

Account Closed on Ebay

Hello xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to write eBay with your concerns. I'm
happy to help you further.

We are concerned about violations on the site and have thoroughly
investigated your report. Please be assured that we have taken
appropriate action in accordance with our site policies. Our actions may
include issuing a warning, temporary suspension, indefinite suspension
or terminating the membership.

As you may know, we are unable to provide specific information regarding
the result of our investigation to third party members. Please
understand that this is for the protection of all eBay users. However,
we can tell you that our records indicate that the seller of the item
you are reporting is currently not a registered eBay user.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation, and wish you luck with
your future eBay transactions.

Regards,

Bernard
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

Almost certainly a hijacked account.

On a related note:

I just had a client of mine, who I helped set up an eBay assisted-selling storefront in Brooklyn, almost get herself into trouble when someone successfully phished her with a fake eBay e-mail :rolleyes: you'd think someone like her would know better! Luckily she called me shortly after and happened to mention it and I got her to change her passwords and block her bank account.

The blithe naivete of the average computer user is astounding.

Cyraxx said:

So now can we say "OMG THIS IS A SCAM"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back