New Anti-Hacking Campaign Tweet By The FBI

I get Health and Happiness, but I'm genuinely interested in how they calculated Stamina and Dexterity.

Also, where are Strength and Intellect? Seems like a pretty glaring omission....

Reactions: Rahh
like this
It's like they're trying to make the lawful guy nerdy and the hacker into a brooding badass.

They are both nerds and neither get laid. In saying that, I bet if the FBI or {insert federal agency here} would relax or remove the drug testing, they might get a few more applications or acceptable candidates.

I can see a bunch of $kr1p7K1ddi3s now rolling a D20 to decide if they should install LOIC or not...hehehhe

On a side note- this is exactly what I love about my job. I get to do illegal things and get paid for it. It's all a matter of perspective....

but I'm genuinely interested in how they calculated Stamina and Dexterity.
Probably affected by the negative penalty from the felony collaring, the record, and restitution. Tends to put a damper on things.

Not too sure what a cybercriminal is. Not too sure what cyber is in general, but beyond that, how about addressing the white hat activity of reporting a security flaw and then being threatened legally as well as harassed by police/law enforcement just because you did the right thing?
I sure as hell can point to multiple instances of that happening to people.
These poor attempts at law enforcement communicating exactly what constitutes as good behavior vs bad, and dumbing it down so that no one understands what the hell they're trying to get out is a waste of taxpayer's money.

Now if it was a securities fraud, like these guys, it may be a different story.

Two New Jersey traders were arrested on Monday for allegedly manipulating prices of more than 2,000 New York Stock Exchange- and Nasdaq-listed shares resulting in more than $26 million in illegal profits over a two-year period.
[...]
Taub and Shmalo are each is charged with one criminal count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud which carries a maximum potential penalty of five years in prison and a fine the greater of $250,000 or twice the gain derived from the offense or twice the loss caused by the offense.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...manipulating-more-than-2000-stocks/ar-AAltZwy

Probably affected by the negative penalty from the felony collaring, the record, and restitution. Tends to put a damper on things.

Maybe, but if they get banned from the internet, they'll probably go outside more, which will in turn increase both Stamina and Dexterity.

This is dumb. That 'cybercriminal' is only there because he got caught. Easy - don't get caught.

I know a few people that weren't on the right side of the law previously but are now working in computer security with legit titles, etc..

3totnk.jpg

Reactions: 1o57
like this
I can see a bunch of $kr1p7K1ddi3s now rolling a D20 to decide if they should install LOIC or not...hehehhe

On a side note- this is exactly what I love about my job. I get to do illegal things and get paid for it. It's all a matter of perspective....

The D20 method of deciding whether to do things for people you dont like stands tall.

mJYcHn4.jpg

Someone who made that ad forgot that many notorious hackers went to jail for 1-2 years and earn now 6-7 figures as top security advisors in large companies. Nothing gives you credibility for knowing security issues like hacking the Pentagon.

To be a CyberSecurity Expert, you will need:
  • A Master degree in Software Engineering.
  • 5-10 years of related working experience.
  • Go to work.
  • Capable of taking shit from your supervisor.
  • Write reports, lots of reports.
  • Write logs, lots of logs.
  • Pay/file income tax.
  • Salary depends on self presentation and your work related skills/presentations.

To be a CyberCriminal, you will need an electronic device, preferably a computer.

They are both nerds and neither get laid. In saying that, I bet if the FBI or {insert federal agency here} would relax or remove the drug testing, they might get a few more applications or acceptable candidates.

In what way? The only thing they want is for you to not be currently addicted and to stop using.

I get tested for almost every job I go for because no one is hiring a guy who comes up hot for heroine and shit like that. In 18 years of being a contractor with a Top Secret clearance I have never ever been tested except during the pre-screen for hiring. The FBI may do random or periodic testing of current employees, I can't say for sure.

• Go to work.
  • Pay/file income tax.
  • Salary depends on self presentation and your work related skills/presentations.

To be a CyberCriminal, you will need an electronic device, preferably a computer.
What is a masters degree in software engineering? Is that a new masters?
I know of computer science, information science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, but i haven't heard of software engineering.

• Go to work.
  • Pay/file income tax.

Actually, no way at all.

I am currently qualified in all aspects to go for government cybersecurity work and I don't have a Masters, I don't even have a bachelors. Related work experience, they'll accept my time as a sysadmin for a lower end position, not a senior position, but I can get started if I wanted to switch. As for the rest, yes to some degree, but that is part of what the $80K + a year is for. And if it's around the DC beltway Virginia area, $160+ is attainable but won't make you rich cause the cost of living is just that much higher and uncle sam takes a bigger percentage so...........

In what way? The only thing they want is for you to not be currently addicted and to stop using.

I get tested for almost every job I go for because no one is hiring a guy who comes up hot for heroine and shit like that. In 18 years of being a contractor with a Top Secret clearance I have never ever been tested except during the pre-screen for hiring. The FBI may do random or periodic testing of current employees, I can't say for sure.

I got tested almost as much as I got polygraphed, which was twice a year when I was in the industry. What I'm talking about though, is excluding the weed smokers, which seems to be prevalent in those societal circles, or at least that is what I have heard.

What is a masters degree in software engineering? Is that a new masters?
I know of computer science, information science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, but i haven't heard of software engineering.
My BS is in Software Engineering. So I imagine you could get a Masters in Software Engineering as well.

Someone who made that ad forgot that many notorious hackers went to jail for 1-2 years and earn now 6-7 figures as top security advisors in large companies. Nothing gives you credibility for knowing security issues like hacking the Pentagon.

This right here.

I got tested almost as much as I got polygraphed, which was twice a year when I was in the industry. What I'm talking about though, is excluding the weed smokers, which seems to be prevalent in those societal circles, or at least that is what I have heard.

The general consensus from the stoner programmers that I know is that it helps them stay on task for much longer than they otherwise would be capable of doing sober, which is interesting because a lot of other stoners that I know have very short attentions spans when they're stoned. I guess it affects different people differently.

Love the "your computer will be seized and you will have no eennternet accezz!"

No more likes for you cybercriminal!

Oh they will test for it, and question you about it, and as long as it sounds like you'll give it up, they are fine with it, whereas heroine on the other hand wouldn't fly at all. Now once your in and an ordained member, even the smoke is a no-go, you'll have to work the edges off with booze and be content, or take your chances knowing the costs.

Not sure which industry you are referring to though.

And my own stance on weed is, until the Feds decide to treat it like alcohol, I am against legalization of recreational use, because I think it sets people up for a loss. Right now there are plenty enough jobs in Colorado for people with security clearances and they are paying good too, cause they can't hire the locals who won't give up the weed and because it's too damned expensive to bring people onto the job and then have to let them go for it. It's unfortunate but it's a double standard that needs to stop, I just don't know exactly how it's going to go or how long it will take to bring about change.

kevin mitnick is worth 11 million dollars and run his own firm...

that cash stat may be off a touch.

Um, this is NOT true.

• Go to work.
  • Pay/file income tax.

A/S/L? Wanna cyber?

Kevin is not taken very seriously in our community these days.... just saying...

Hasn't been taken serious for quite a while.

I always wanted to work for the NSA. Never did. I'm into the security side of things now (working on CISSP and OSCP in 2017). I think I'll just stay away from the 3 letter agencies. Doing security work with the permission from the person is one thing. Without? No so sure I really agree with some other justifications these days...

Lots of reasons. The recent SET stuff he did wasn't really his work. He hasn't really done much in years, and just plays off the fame. It's also a mixed bag (depending on who you talk to) about his attitude/demeanor- lots of folks in the community can't stand him. He's always been ok to me, we talk every so often. I don't have a problem with him, but his skill set isn't what it used to be (he was a test/demonstration case to be honest). Shimomura is a pretty cool guy too, and it's interesting hearing both sides of that story-

There are a few others that have been set up as "InfoSEC rockstars" lately, and it's causing a rift in the community. Most of the 'rockstars' are just doing stunt hacks these days, but I won't get into dirty laundry here :)

did not know that.

why's that?

A/S/L? Wanna cyber?

Hasn't been taken serious for quite a while.

I always wanted to work for the NSA. Never did. I'm into the security side of things now (working on CISSP and OSCP in 2017). I think I'll just stay away from the 3 letter agencies. Doing security work with the permission from the person is one thing. Without? No so sure I really agree with some other justifications these days...

Well, if you were to become a cybersecurity dude for the NSA you could be doing several wildly different jobs. You could play for the defensive team and spend your time trying to help keep NSA systems/networks secure. Or you could work for the offense and work on taking advantage of or creating vulnerabilities in systems/networks of foreign governments and their militaries, and terror organizations. And then there is "special teams" and well, who wouldn't enjoy a chance to hack satellites and missile systems and shit like that. You guys don't think all those North Korean Rockets keep crashing all on their own do you?

Back