New Android App Identifies SOPA-Backing Companies

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The SOPA Operas are heating up and battle lines are being drawn according to stances on piracy and individual freedoms. A new Android App created by a couple of concerned students, identifies over 800 company products that are associated with supporting the SOPA legislation to aid in the boycott of the legislation’s sponsors.

‘Boycott SOPA‘ a new Android application that allows users to scan barcodes of different products to identify if the company that makes or sells it is a supporter of the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Hmm... yeah, I'm not going to stop drinking Coke, even if they do support SOPA.

Keep buying coke but look at the juices they make and find a substitute, and maybe look at the water you buy in a bottle, coke makes sure you can't see their trademark its so small. Info for you- The water coming from your tap is usually cleaner then cokes, inspection of your tap water is done on average, depending where you live, once every six months. Coke sets up their bottling plants where the inspections don't have to be done as often, in some cases once every two years.

Lets just make a different internet and keep the gubment out.

Keep buying coke but look at the juices they make and find a substitute, and maybe look at the water you buy in a bottle, coke makes sure you can't see their trademark its so small. Info for you- The water coming from your tap is usually cleaner then cokes, inspection of your tap water is done on average, depending where you live, once every six months. Coke sets up their bottling plants where the inspections don't have to be done as often, in some cases once every two years.

My water hasn't been tested in 12 years. I'm not dead yet...

Lets just make a different internet and keep the gubment out.

This will likely happen, and cause massive havoc to the internet. There's already a tool which will avoid using your ISPs DNS and use it's own to redirect you to the proper website. SOPA only shuts down DNS addresses to websites. As long as you know the IP address, SOPA doesn't matter.

The problem begins when users share this information, and give out tools like DeSopa. It can literally begin a chain reaction where any website that hosts these tools gets shut down. Word of mouth will even be shut down, so Facebook and Twitter will even be affected.

Expect a very negative reaction from the public if SOPA was passed. Something biblical. I can easily see people protesting SOPA, even after it's passed. What good is SOPA if it becomes common practice to work around it. Chances are even web browsers and web sites will do it, even if it gets unwanted attention from lawmakers.

SOPA will do one of two things.

#1 Get people into the mind set to work around SOPA, to the point where the tools needed to do so are built into web browsers.

#2 Create a whole new sub internet, uncontrolled by ISPs and SOPA.

I'm really going to miss this site if these laws get passed. Anyone want to join me in posting on any sites you run a permanent anti-SOPA banner until the law is passed and there is no more Internet? I'm actually getting sick of sitting back and watching the world around me burn. These laws will effectively put me out of a job as a web developer / sys-admin. It's all about the $ which ironically the Internet is bringing in more cash to these bastards than they know what do do with and they're shooting themselves in the foot. I say its pitchfork and torches time.

They don't play fair why should we?

You should. Not because they support SOPA which has gotten a ridiculous number of people swearing it is the devil himself but because soda isn't good for your health.

As for me, I really don't support nor partake in piracy so I don't see SOPA affecting me that much. Sure people give these overblown hypothetical scenarios but as usual, they are thought up by people who don't understand what the laws are.

I think the app (havent tried it) should send an email automatically to the company you scanned saying "Congrats, your support of SOPA has cost you a sale!". Bout time we put our internet shennanigans to good use.

I hate cokes restrictive DRM :(

Actually, you make a good point. Why is a company like Coca-Cola behind a law based on the Internet and the media industry? I know they have a ridiculous amount of advertising, but for a product like coke the more you spread word about it, the better it sells.

And yeah, you can't pirate coke? Can you?? wtf is going on...

Also Intel and nVidia are on the list, no AMD?? Proudest fan boy day ever.

Perhaps you could show me any proof that those companies supports SOPA, because I sure as hell can't find them in any list online.

As for me, I really don't support nor partake in piracy so I don't see SOPA affecting me that much.

Might want to look again; Any website that hosts user content is at risk of being shut down over a single complaint. The process of today is that a complaint must be submitted, the information verified and then action taken to remove said material if complaint is deemed correct. Under SOPA, complaint is filed, no proof needed, site gets shut down until the website owner(s) can prove that the complaint is invalid. SOPA directly goes against almost every law that has been written and accepted for online purposes.

Here's something that might affect you. Monitoring of your activity (and everybody elses) will slow down the speed of the internet as a whole as they investigate every packet that comes in/out of your location. Think of it like a wire-tap on your phone, but no court documents necessary for them to completely disregard your privacy.

There is much more damage than just those items, but, as you can see this is about much more than just piracy. In fact, here's the full title "To promote prosperity, creativity, entrepreneurship, and innovation by combating the theft of U.S. property, and for other purposes." The term 'other purposes' should scare you.

Perhaps you could show me any proof that those companies supports SOPA, because I sure as hell can't find them in any list online.

Yeah, I'd be a little worried this could be used for personal vendetta's etc.

Perhaps they could include a link to a website explaining the proof for each company or in some other way include proof of SOPA support.

Nvida and intel are members of the ESA which backs SOPA, http://www.theesa.com/about/members.asp

A quick google search will show the varying support of some ESA members.

Hers an article by Joystiq http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/06/sopa-list-esa/

Nvidia failed to comment which is damning enough for me. If you don't support something this bad at least say something. Let the boycott begin.

Nvidia failed to comment which is damning enough for me. If you don't support something this bad at least say something. Let the boycott begin.

Not sure how a boycott of something you never bought anyway would encourage a company not to do something. :p

All sides of the political system in the US supports the SOPA, so therefore, if you voted for either party it means you automatically support it? Go for the companies that actively support something before those that possibly might.

Not sure how a boycott of something you never bought anyway would encourage a company not to do something. :p

All sides of the political system in the US supports the SOPA, so therefore, if you voted for either party it means you automatically support it? Go for the companies that actively support something before those that possibly might.

I didn't meaning that I'm going to start to boycott Nvidia, I meant in general. I already boycott nVidia enough, however I do own a PCI 5200 as a backup card in case everything else fails or I need to do testing on a friends machine. I really have nothing against the company, but I've been drinking the AMD/ATI kool-aid since my 2700+ and 9700Pro. Kinda just rooting for the underdog.

And I voted for neither side in the past election, as there are no candidates that meet my particular political beliefs. I did however vote for Mikey Mouse during the last local election, however he didn't win.

Regardless of affiliation with any organization, this is one of the few laws that I believe will really destroy my life as a citizen and my career as an applications developer, any company that refuses to not actively fight this law is no longer a friend of mine, because it is a death sentence to my very way of life currently. I would be fighting harder against other laws if I had more free time so I pick my battles and currently anything that weakens the Internet is something I will fight. Humanity has finally created something greater than itself and its about to fuck it up completely, just like it did with democracy.

</rant>

I officially retract any previous statements about nVidia. And thank you nVidia for taking the time to respond to the community. SOPA just pisses me off so much I can't think rationally. Still waiting on word from Intel.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/01/nvidia-does-not-support-sopa/

Good to hear. Wouldn't surprise me if Intel takes the same stance.

The thing is, ESA consist of both software and hardware company, and I think their stance in supporting SOPA probably reflects the support of the software members (a majority of them are gaming companies). It doesn't make any sense for hardware manufacturers to support it.

Unfortunately, there's no telling which gaming company among them support it.

Back