New amp + Soundcard questions

xeefus

Limp Gawd
I have gotten myself a pair of HD650's and an X-Can V3 which sadly didn't work, so I sent it back... :(
Anyway, I am going to get an amp for them! I listen to all kinds of stuff... I'm not a basshead though. So, uhm, I listen to stuff like classic music, Longue, Drum N Bass, electronica, also alot of heavy music too. I listen to everything! Heh, hmm, so, an amp, and a new soundcard, cause I don't think my amp will like an Audigy 2 ZS. A DAC is out of my budget I guess, will be for future upgrades...

So, budget = 300$, I don't know much about Hi-Fi, was thinking of the M-Audio Delta Audiophile 192 thing, and building an amp myself... I think. I'm not too good at doing that though :( Connecting amp to computer = 2xRCA cables I believe? So the soundcard has to have those SPDIF stuffs I guess?

And, the soundcard, I don't know shit about it... So give recommendations! :D

xeefus said:
So, budget = 300$, I don't know much about Hi-Fi, was thinking of the M-Audio Delta Audiophile 192 thing, and building an amp myself... I think. I'm not too good at doing that though :( Connecting amp to computer = 2xRCA cables I believe? So the soundcard has to have those SPDIF stuffs I guess?
SPDIF is a digital output, and your amp is going to take analog inputs unless it has a built-in DAC (this isn't very common. Corda aria comes to mind, but even that just is a USB DAC). So, unless the soundcard you get has RCA jacks on it (the audiophile 192 doesn't), then you'll need an adapter cable. I don't know much about balenced vs unbalenced outputs, so someone more knowledgeable should pipe in about what it necessary to convert em.

Also, out of curiosity, have you auditioned the 650s yet to make sure you even enjoy their sound? I'm senn fan myself but when dropping that kind of wad on cans you gotta make sure you like em :)

Vertigo Acid said:
SPDIF is a digital output, and your amp is going to take analog inputs unless it has a built-in DAC (this isn't very common. Corda aria comes to mind, but even that just is a USB DAC). So, unless the soundcard you get has RCA jacks on it (the audiophile 192 doesn't), then you'll need an adapter cable. I don't know much about balenced vs unbalenced outputs, so someone more knowledgeable should pipe in about what it necessary to convert em.

Also, out of curiosity, have you auditioned the 650s yet to make sure you even enjoy their sound? I'm senn fan myself but when dropping that kind of wad on cans you gotta make sure you like em :)

Hmm, then how do I connect it? :( Aww.

I did try some others before, and those were the ones I liked... weren't many to try though.

EDIT: wtf, pressed send without finishing my message.

Most common sound cards have your standard 3.5mm mini jack for analog output.
Some higher end cards have 2 RCA jacks for analog output.
Yet others like the emu 1212m have two 1/4" balanced jacks.

Basically, you need to find either a cable or an adapter that will convert the source jack into the amp jack. So, for example, lets say you have a 3.5mm jack on the sound card and your amp takes a 3.5mm connector. Well then, you need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.
If instead your amp takes dual rca, you need a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable. Either that or a 3.5mm to dual RCA adapter, then an dual RCA cable will work.

As for the amp, I think that question is better posted at head-fi.com as its less computer audio then just high end headphone audio. Actually, there's a wealth of information already there from people in your situation.

~Good luck

towert7 said:
Most common sound cards have your standard 3.5mm mini jack for analog output.
Some higher end cards have 2 RCA jacks for analog output.
Yet others like the emu 1212m have two 1/4" balanced jacks.

Basically, you need to find either a cable or an adapter that will convert the source jack into the amp jack. So, for example, lets say you have a 3.5mm jack on the sound card and your amp takes a 3.5mm connector. Well then, you need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.
If instead your amp takes dual rca, you need a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable. Either that or a 3.5mm to dual RCA adapter, then an dual RCA cable will work.

As for the amp, I think that question is better posted at head-fi.com as its less computer audio then just high end headphone audio. Actually, there's a wealth of information already there from people in your situation.

~Good luck

I have one of those adapters for 6.3mm to 3.5mm... Jeez, without amp my headphones sounds funny. Hmm, http://www.thomann.de/thoiw5_m-audio_delta_audiophile_2496_prodinfo.html any good? It has got 3.5mm plugs?

xeefus said:
I have one of those adapters for 6.3mm to 3.5mm... Jeez, without amp my headphones sounds funny. Hmm, http://www.thomann.de/thoiw5_m-audio_delta_audiophile_2496_prodinfo.html any good? It has got 3.5mm plugs?
Meh. I bought one, listened to it for a few hours, and it was on it's way to e-bay. Hell, I liked the sound of my A2ZS better than it. It seems to get really harsh in the high-end and lacks power on the low end. Not for me. One thing to keep in mind that this was without amp.

Vertigo Acid said:
Meh. I bought one, listened to it for a few hours, and it was on it's way to e-bay. Hell, I liked the sound of my A2ZS better than it. It seems to get really harsh in the high-end and lacks power on the low end. Not for me. One thing to keep in mind that this was without amp.

Really? Cause I don't quite like the A2ZS :) I've heard so much good about the 2496 card... :(

I've never heard one, but from what i've read from people who have heard both, the EMU 0404 is a better deal in that pricerange

Vertigo Acid said:
I've never heard one, but from what i've read from people who have heard both, the EMU 0404 is a better deal in that pricerange

Yeah I've thought of the EMU 0404 too. It's even cheaper.

Back