New AMD Wraith Prism CPU Cooler Shows up With Six Heat Pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

erek

[H]F Junkie
Seems cool! Hopefully it actually performs better than the previous iteration

"Additionally, the revised Wraith Prism is said to feature the same part number (712-000075 Rev: C) as the original, which would make it difficult to tell the two coolers apart unless you open the box. However, it's possible that this is a packaging error, so we can't rule out that the new version will arrive with its own part number.

At this point, it's uncertain if AMD will start silently slipping this new Wraith Prism into Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 boxes or if the chipmaker will sell it separately."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/new-amd-wraith-prism-cpu-cooler

Seems cool!

It should be, it's a cooler

personally, I never use the stock cooler

At this point, it's uncertain if AMD will start silently slipping this new Wraith Prism into Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 boxes or if the chipmaker will sell it separately."

don't worry ... AMD will somehow manage to "slip" the cost of that cooler into your CPU purchase ;)

Roughly how much better would this perform? We know for sure until someone does some tests, but any educated guesses?

don't worry ... AMD will somehow manage to "slip" the cost of that cooler into your CPU purchase ;)
Considering most people do use the stock cooler, and the volumes they produce of this the additional cost is likely in the $5 range, im happy to see this. I really like my amd chip stock coolers, before ryzen I was always on aftermarket coolers as well, but Wraith coolers are excellent for my use.

Considering most people do use the stock cooler, and the volumes they produce of this the additional cost is likely in the $5 range, im happy to see this. I really like my amd chip stock coolers, before ryzen I was always on aftermarket coolers as well, but Wraith coolers are excellent for my use.
1-2$ max

Considering most people do use the stock cooler

I doubt we have the data to prove that, beyond anecdotes -- and here, well, I'd bet on most people not using the stock cooler except perhaps to run a function test.

The extruded aluminum Wraith heatsinks (the Spire and Stealth) are pennies to create, the fans are the expensive part. Even the the cheapest chineseium fan that size (92mm?) will be around $5-8.

The aluminum fin and copper heat pipe designs (Wraith Prism and Max) probably cost $20-30 to make on the OEM side. The cut and stamped fins take more manufacturing steps than a long aluminum extrusion that is just cut to length.

I'm disappointed with AMD for the design of the Spire and Stealth, they're just as junk and underpowered as the older FM2 APU heatsinks. The Spire is a bit better because it has a copper slug core, but it still sucks as much as a stock Intel cooler.

...same for AMD?

It's rare to actually need one; AMD's are better, certainly at least passable, but most enthusiasts would want a solution that can easily run quieter and cooler.

Did I mention anything about actually needing one? My 6700k came with no fan my 3700x did.

I have a wraith prism on a 1600af (2600) at 4.3GHz and 1.375v, keeps it under 75c. Don't know why y'all are complaining it's an oem cooler, looks great, and performs fairly well.

Interesting, I figured the spire would have been just as bad. Intel has added copper slugs to their spiral extruded OEM heatsinks since the Pentium 4 days and it did nothing for thermals. I have two Spire coolers that came with my 2400G and 1500X, and never used them. I used a Hyper TX3 and a 212 Evo instead.

I guess the straight fins on AMD's cooler allows more airflow than the stupid curved one on Intel.

I have a wraith prism on a 1600af (2600) at 4.3GHz and 1.375v, keeps it under 75c. Don't know why y'all are complaining it's an oem cooler, looks great, and performs fairly well.

The one that came with my 1600 was great. Was quiet when at full load, with ambient temperatures around 90F. I do have a case with decent airflow which helps. I assume if you're on an older case it would be problematic. I've read that the Wraith Prisim was louder overall so I went aftermarket. Planned to sell the Wraith Prisim but forgot about it, at the time they were going for $30-40 on ebay. Suppose I'll just sell it with the CPU now whenever I upgrade.

Roughly how much better would this perform? We know for sure until someone does some tests, but any educated guesses?
looks like to me they smoothed out the bottom. the original W.P. has direct contact heat pipes but there are gaps between the pipes leaving parts of the surface untouched and keeps the paste from spreading evenly.

new design should be give WAY better performance. will be interesting to see some test results.

I like that they've moved up to 6 heatpipes with the Prism (not that I use any stock coolers). But... not helping their product segmentation message.

Here's my marketing mojo suggestion:

Ryzen 5 - Wraith with 5 heatpipes

Ryzen 7 - Prism with 7 heatpipes

Ryzen 9 - Extra Prismly with 9 heatpipes

I won't bother to mention the disparity of even-numbered core counts in odd-numbered series. Altho... a Ryzen 3900X with 9 cores (+ 3 spares) with a 9 heatpipe cooler, could make a compelling triple 9s sales story. ;-)

Personally I'm glad that most new AMD processors still come with a stock HSF, even if in my case it's simply sitting unused on a shelf. It makes it less of a catastrophe if/when my AIO fails. It will also make it much easier for me when I eventually retire my Ryzen to a secondary system, where I might not want to deal with an AIO anymore.

I doubt we have the data to prove that, beyond anecdotes -- and here, well, I'd bet on most people not using the stock cooler except perhaps to run a function test.
Most people are not on here. Im reasonably confident most people use stock coolers. I'm also going to put 0 effort into proving such a useless statistic.

Most people are not on here. Im reasonably confident most people use stock coolers. I'm also going to put 0 effort into proving such a useless statistic.
Definitely.

I sincerely doubt most of these first-time rig builders or pre-built system buyers are at all concerned about the cooling of their CPU. (It comes with a cooler. Why would I spend extra money on a different one?)

Definitely.

I sincerely doubt most of these first-time rig builders or pre-built system buyers are at all concerned about the cooling of their CPU. (It comes with a cooler. Why would I spend extra money on a different one?)
I know a guy who bought an fx 8320 and ran it with the stock cooler. He told me AMD sucks because their CPUs are hot and loud. He didn't believe me that a new cooler would make his cpu faster and quieter. I'm pretty sure he also had never heard of this forum.

He now has an Intel with stock cooler, and they are much quieter and cooler. Faster also.

This is most people in a nutshell

Definitely.

Agreed. For a long time I ran the bundled cooler not wanting to spend money on an aftermarket one. My 6700k opened my eyes to how nice silence is. I’ll have to do some gaming on my 3900x to see how loud the stock cooler is while gaming.

I sincerely doubt most of these first-time rig builders

If they're doing it without references, they're lucky if it even posts -- if they're using references, it'd be very hard for them to be ignorant of the possibilities of third-party coolers.

pre-built system buyers

With the amount of stupid stuff we've seen from system builders -- they're apparently the reason AMD keeps shipping terrible blowers on their reference GPUs -- you got this one. And for those buying pre-built systems without appropriate research, well, they can't really be helped.

stupid stuff we've seen from system builders

I bought a first-gen Ryzen desktop at Best Buy (I had had some problems getting a part-built system to boot so I decided to try an off-the-shelf one.) Instead of using the stock fan that would've come with whichever CPU was in the system, they put in some cheapo HSF with a small 3-pin fan that ran at full speed all the time, and was really loud. I gave up on that after a day or so and returned it. FWIW it was a Cyberpower model, and Best Buy is still selling Cyberpower PCs with the same garbage HSF.

Interesting, I figured the spire would have been just as bad. Intel has added copper slugs to their spiral extruded OEM heatsinks since the Pentium 4 days and it did nothing for thermals. I have two Spire coolers that came with my 2400G and 1500X, and never used them. I used a Hyper TX3 and a 212 Evo instead.

I guess the straight fins on AMD's cooler allows more airflow than the stupid curved one on Intel.

The copper does help. You can compare the Intel copper vs non copper and Spire copper vs no copper.

The reason the AMD ones are better is really just function of size. At the end for air cooling while you can use certain things like heatpipes, vapor chambers, etc. for efficiency size is still size. The Wraith Stealth is even slightly larger than the stock Intels. The Spire is larger than the Stealth. The Prism/Max is of course the largest. A major reason why the Prism/Max is good is because it's designed to basically just fit into the dimensions specced by the AM4 socket criteria (I believe it's slightly larger compared to Intel's as well) all the way to the limit, even if you just use a different orientation the fan will impact ram slot 1.

Also something to keep in mind is controlling for fan speed or noise level does have a flaw in that differing "fin" design for heatsinks may have differing efficiency curves.

The extruded aluminum Wraith heatsinks (the Spire and Stealth) are pennies to create, the fans are the expensive part. Even the the cheapest chineseium fan that size (92mm?) will be around $5-8.

The aluminum fin and copper heat pipe designs (Wraith Prism and Max) probably cost $20-30 to make on the OEM side. The cut and stamped fins take more manufacturing steps than a long aluminum extrusion that is just cut to length.

I'm disappointed with AMD for the design of the Spire and Stealth, they're just as junk and underpowered as the older FM2 APU heatsinks. The Spire is a bit better because it has a copper slug core, but it still sucks as much as a stock Intel cooler.

As someone in manufacturing I am pretty sure an extra heatpipe and hole drilled or new punching die is going to amortize under a dollar or two over the volumes AMD does. Likely in the 50c range but I don't do heatpipes in volume.
You can buy much more complex heatsinks for less than the price you quoted, materials are cheap, it's the time/labour that isn't and most of this is automated.. hence under 2$ likely in the tens of cents range for this addition.

All it does long term is create a better thermal gradient to pull temps down maybe 3-5°, possibly more if the existing heatpipes are struggling.
And as someone who has used a wraith spire (the RGB one but not the top one) on a 2600X, they are actually very capable and extremely quiet with a custom fan curve, while keeping the temps under check.
If I wasn't OCing or doing heavy video loads in a shit case I wouldn't even bother upgrading the cooler. They also look flash if you like the RGB, had lots of comments from workmates about it lol.

The copper does help. You can compare the Intel copper vs non copper and Spire copper vs no copper.

Yup copper has noticeably higher thermal conductivity. It's a bit harder or slower to mill than aluminium though so additional cost is there.

Highly doubt that. Those are sintered copper heatpipes, stamped aluminium fins, Adressable LEDs, a decent mid-lifetime fan.

It's probably closer to $20 to manufacture.

On top of that, AMD doesn't manufacture these, Cooler Master does, and they need their margins.

Highly doubt that. Those are sintered copper heatpipes, stamped aluminium fins, Adressable LEDs, a decent mid-lifetime fan.

It's probably closer to $20 to manufacture.

On top of that, AMD doesn't manufacture these, Cooler Master does, and they need their margins.

I mean the addition of the extra heatpipes, not entire BOM.
You can get coolers that are similar design for $10-30 retail without RGB although not sure on fan quality.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/2074446936
Cost for adding heatpipes is in the tens of cents range.

Should clarify it was a Wrath Max I used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back