New AMD s939 Opteron Information

This prolly should end up as a sticky, but that's up to the mods.

1.) I was informed today by Avnet, AMD's Tier 1 distributor for their processors, that AMD was cracking down on sales of s939 Opterons.

2.) This essentially means that only smaller ISVs (Integrated Service Vendors), VARs (Value Added Resellers), and System Builders would be allowed access to AMD stocking of these processors.

3.) Newegg, et al. will be effectively removed from the OEM processor sales of s939 Opterons. My district manager did not specify if this was also the case for retail procs, but he did emphasize that Newegg would not be getting these parts.

4.) AMD will be drop shipping all Opteron s939 parts. This is part inventory control and part screening. AMD has to approve each company/person for accessing these parts.

so, word to the wise: get 'em while you can. it's going to get a LOT tougher now.

dave

wow i'm glad i got mine when i did, but from you're post i don't think i really understand why they are doing this? you'd think amd would want to sell as many opterons as possible, i'd imagine they bring more money... maybe they know the overclockers are buying them instead of fx57's?

Elysian said:
wow i'm glad i got mine when i did, but from you're post i don't think i really understand why they are doing this? you'd think amd would want to sell as many opterons as possible, i'd imagine they bring more money... maybe they know the overclockers are buying them instead of fx57's?

precisely the point. AMD finally realized that their high margin part (the FX series) was getting bastardized by cheap, fast, and highly overclockable processors.

then again, i AM a small ISV, so....what do i care? ;)

dave

thing is though, their fx line is just so expensive, i honestly don't see why they would do this... more people aren't going to buy fx's, just less people will be buying their opterons... its a lose lose imo

Elysian said:
thing is though, their fx line is just so expensive, i honestly don't see why they would do this... more people aren't going to buy fx's, just less people will be buying their opterons... its a lose lose imo

i guess you've got it reasoned out better than all the AMD executives.. those fools

Elysian said:

but remember, the FX has always been positioned as the "top of the line" CONSUMER part. Opterons have always been SMB/Enterprise processors. when you start blurring the lines, you lose margin and ASPs.

dave

nooooo, when will these sieze supply to retailers for normal consumers?

hero123 said:
nooooo, when will these sieze supply to retailers for normal consumers?

was told "going forward." I'd assume that AMD is fulfilling outstanding orders and then cutting to their new restrictions.

dave

dave_graham said:
but remember, the FX has always been positioned as the "top of the line" CONSUMER part. Opterons have always been SMB/Enterprise processors. when you start blurring the lines, you lose margin and ASPs.

dave

QFT.

dave_graham said:
was told "going forward." I'd assume that AMD is fulfilling outstanding orders and then cutting to their new restrictions.

dave

yessssss... well thats a relief.

RegisteredToPost said:
Should i be glad i ordered one three days ago? :confused:

what is photoshop? :eek:

yeah 'cos i think you're going to notice a pretty tight supply over the next quarter or so

dave

Oh, great. I was half-kicking myself for upgrading before the holidays. Wasn't sure if prices would drop to spur sales for the post-holiday time. Kind of glad i bought when i did then :)

Doesnt really suprise me, it seems like there are tons of people wanting/getting Opterons but really its only the people like us which end up not being nearly as many as youd think. They wont really lose money, theyll just screw us outta getting FX performance for half the price. Thats the whole reason they did it.

Miranoponcho said:
Phew! And to think I was going to get me a crappy ocing 3000 winchester instead...
Hey! I resemble that remark... :p I can't wait for my Opty 170 to get here, looks like I ordered just in time. I bet the prices will go up again when this news reaches the masses.

powertoold said:
Tankguys was all over this story 2 weeks ago!

True...I seem to remember them posting this same/very similar info earlier. People didn't take heed though I guess.

Leave it to AMD to *uck up a good thing. As every week goes by, I'm getting more and more fustrated with this company.

So I was planning on picking up an x2 3800+ today because my cpu is dead. What's the deal on the opterons? How are the 144, 148 and 150's ocing? Or is it just the 165/170?

freeloader1969 said:
Leave it to AMD to *uck up a good thing. As every week goes by, I'm getting more and more fustrated with this company.
really? i'm not, i loved my venice [email protected], and my x2 3800+ at 2.6, but not as much as my opteron 170 at 2.8 lol, amd's aok in my book

A few reasons I don't like what they've done lately...

Socket 754 to Socket 939 fiasco.

Sempron... started out as a non 64 bit chip, now it has 64 bit because of Intel including it in the Celeron line.

Discontinuing low end A64's...apparently AMD will EOL the A64 3000 and 3200.

Bringing out the S939 Opteron...they bring out this chip, then can't supply enough of them. Now they're not going to sell it to the public. :mad:

freeloader1969 said:
A few reasons I don't like what they've done lately...

Socket 754 to Socket 939 fiasco.

Sempron... started out as a non 64 bit chip, now it has 64 bit because of Intel including it in the Celeron line.

Discontinuing low end A64's...apparently AMD will EOL the A64 3000 and 3200.

Bringing out the S939 Opteron...they bring out this chip, then can't supply enough of them. Now they're not going to sell it to the public. :mad:

They do have to make money you know...AMD's sole goal as a company is NOT--whether you like it or not--to bring you top of the line cores in budget packages.

freeloader1969 said:

Why? These CPUs should of never of been offered to anyone but VARs from the very beginning. Selling these CPUs to us is a loss to them and they are loosing money left and right over it. The whole point of the Socket 939 Opterons was to get the likes of HP and Sun to have an entry level workstation with the Opteron brand in it, which it turn would sell more Opteron based servers.

AMD knew they would loose some margin on these, but it was a sacrifice they were willing to make to gain some of the server market share they desire so much. Simple business strategy, get customer in the door with cheap product and hook them on the expensive parts later.

So again, what is your problem except being greedy and cheap? You are a consumer and you should be buying consumer SKUs like the Athlon 64 X2. I don't understand why many of people on this forum can't understand simple business practices and the fact that AMD does not have a responsibility to the consumer to sell cheap hardware rather a responsibility to their shareholders to turn a profit, me being one of those shareholders.

So again, what is your problem except being greedy and cheap? You are a consumer and you should be buying consumer SKUs like the Athlon 64 X2. I don't understand why many of people on this forum can't understand simple business practices and the fact that AMD does not have a responsibility to the consumer to sell cheap hardware rather a responsibility to their shareholders to turn a profit, me being one of those shareholders.

Where in my post do you see me saying a single word about being greedy and cheap?
All because I said I'm fustrated with AMD end of lining the 3000+ and 3200+. That makes me cheap and greedy? I've bought more AMD chips over the last 3 years than I can even count. I build about 150-200 AMD systems per year. If AMD doesn't offer the 3000+ or 3200+ A64's and doesn't lower the price of the 3500 to replace those market segments, I will recommend other processors (cough, cough, Intel) for my customers. I absolutely will not recommend any Sempron processors to my customers. That's AMD's intentions and I as a consumer have all the power in the world over AMD (I shell out the money to purchase their product), they either sell me what I want or I purchase CPU's elsewhere.

Also, whatever happened to AMD's "Give the customer what they want, we're listening to our customers bullshit speech". Sure they are, by cutting off processors that the buying public wants. That's a good way to gain customer confidence, is it not?

I want a S939 Opteron and I'm willing to pay a few more dollars for it, as our the majority of my customers. You purchase an Opteron, you're purchasing quality. It's like choosing a Lincoln over a similar Ford model. Do you understand what I'm saying?

People, I said I'm fustrated with AMD's execution basically. No one here needs to defend AMD. We all know at this time and probably into next year, they have a better product than Intel. IMHO, they're slipping on customer service/satisfaction. It's almost as if they're letting their short term success sabotage their long term success. That's all I have to say.

All companies are the same, Intel would have done the samething if in the same situation, Via, etc. Unfortunately AMD is and was never out for us, they are out for money just like any other buisness. We just get lucky from the processor wars sometimes, like with Opterons :)

freeloader1969 said:

LOL...AMD runs like a bunch of chimpanzees are the executives :rolleyes: . Leave it up to them to screw up a superior product line compared to the competition.

You should read some of the articles on www.overclockers.com if you want more "proof." Although Ed Stroligo tends to bash AMD all the time (since Intel really has nothing to offer at the moment). He's definitely a glass-half-empty type of guy.

Specifically this article about the "opteron fiasco"
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00877/

pokehergently said:
So I was planning on picking up an x2 3800+ today because my cpu is dead. What's the deal on the opterons? How are the 144, 148 and 150's ocing? Or is it just the 165/170?

Use the search tool bud, these procs have all been discussed in great detail.

kirbyrj said:
LOL...AMD runs like a bunch of chimpanzees are the executives :rolleyes: . Leave it up to them to screw up a superior product line compared to the competition.

You should read some of the articles on www.overclockers.com if you want more "proof." Although Ed Stroligo tends to bash AMD all the time (since Intel really has nothing to offer at the moment). He's definitely a glass-half-empty type of guy.

Specifically this article about the "opteron fiasco"
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00877/

while i like Ed, he's definitely on the "black helicopter" side of the spectrum.

dave

dave_graham said:
while i like Ed, he's definitely on the "black helicopter" side of the spectrum.

dave

Yeah, I noticed that also :). Half the time I read what he says I don't agree, but it's always a big conspiracy to him. Like AMD is trying to run their company into the ground. And speculation (like this Opteron thing) practically cited as fact :rolleyes: . It's one step below the Inq (and that's saying something :D ).

kirbyrj said:
Yeah, I noticed that also :). Half the time I read what he says I don't agree, but it's always a big conspiracy to him. Like AMD is trying to run their company into the ground. And speculation (like this Opteron thing) practically cited as fact :rolleyes: . It's one step below the Inq (and that's saying something :D ).

at least i understand Mike. (i actually know mike pretty darn well from the pre-HP compaq days, etc.) He makes no bones about being a source of leaked (and sometimes inaccurate) information....

dave

Back