New AMD s939 Opteron Information

Man you had to know that this was coming... all this Opteron craze canno't have gone unnoticed by AMD. The regular A64 sales have to be really hurting right now.

dave_graham said:
This prolly should end up as a sticky, but that's up to the mods.

1.) I was informed today by Avnet, AMD's Tier 1 distributor for their processors, that AMD was cracking down on sales of s939 Opterons.

2.) This essentially means that only smaller ISVs (Integrated Service Vendors), VARs (Value Added Resellers), and System Builders would be allowed access to AMD stocking of these processors.

3.) Newegg, et al. will be effectively removed from the OEM processor sales of s939 Opterons. My district manager did not specify if this was also the case for retail procs, but he did emphasize that Newegg would not be getting these parts.

4.) AMD will be drop shipping all Opteron s939 parts. This is part inventory control and part screening. AMD has to approve each company/person for accessing these parts.

so, word to the wise: get 'em while you can. it's going to get a LOT tougher now.

dave

I posted a while ago
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028568018&postcount=169

Only ways to get CPU is if you are a System Integrator Customer.

kirbyrj said:
Yes, but Dave Graham being an Integrated Service Vendor has more credence than conceptxp the n00bie ;). No offense meant of course.

conceptxp is also a sales rep at one of the big distributors, so he's not some random noob ;)

does amd realize they are gonna lose either way?

would they rather sell 1x 1000$ CPU and make lets say 100$ profit

or sell 8x opt144 at 125 a piece = 1000$ and make the same 100$ profit.

the more they can make us happy. the more sales in general they would have

im pretty sure most if not ALL of us. would never buy an fx cpu. but we would buy a good 150$ cpu

Everyone Understands $$$$$. I just put my new sig together and I did the Cpu route for all the above reasons after my research.
Opteron 148 O/C to 2.8 =$287.00 on sale Canadian.
FX 57 at 2.8 =$1300.00 Canadian.
Tell me which Cpu you would buy :D

TankGuys said:
conceptxp is also a sales rep at one of the big distributors, so he's not some random noob ;)
He should mention that then :D.

For example...my username is kirbyrj and I don't have any connections to any sales/distribution channels. Therefore, I know nothing other than to trust what good resellers like TankGuys/Dave Graham, etc. are saying about this because they are connected to the right people and they have little reason to mislead people in a forum such as this.

To clarify one mistake, AMD is NOT discontinuing its 3000+ and 3200+. These are just being transitioned to E4 cores (from E3/E6), much the same way early 754 chips transitioned from Clawhammer to Newcastle. Expect these chips to just have half their cache disabled.

mavalpha said:
To clarify one mistake, AMD is NOT discontinuing its 3000+ and 3200+. These are just being transitioned to E4 cores (from E3/E6), much the same way early 754 chips transitioned from Clawhammer to Newcastle. Expect these chips to just have half their cache disabled.
Then can you explain why AMD has removed the Desktop Athlon 64 3000+ from their pricing page.

dave_graham said:
precisely the point. AMD finally realized that their high margin part (the FX series) was getting bastardized by cheap, fast, and highly overclockable processors.

then again, i AM a small ISV, so....what do i care? ;)

dave

And that was the point I was thinking while reading this.
Who cares what happens to newegg. I can still buy from Dave.

ooeric said:
does amd realize they are gonna lose either way?

would they rather sell 1x 1000$ CPU and make lets say 100$ profit

or sell 8x opt144 at 125 a piece = 1000$ and make the same 100$ profit.

the more they can make us happy. the more sales in general they would have

im pretty sure most if not ALL of us. would never buy an fx cpu. but we would buy a good 150$ cpu

This is entirely uninformed. These chips all come off pretty much the same line. Each piece of silicon costs the same to manufacture. They are tested, binned and then tested again. A $1000 chip is $1000 becuase they know damned well it will be reliable at $1000 levels. It cost them the same as the $150 chip. The $150 chip might reach the $1000 level with tweaks and with better cooling. AMD makes far more money off a $1000 chip than a $150. Why do you think this thread even EXISTS???? Man. I need a drink.

mwarps said:
This is entirely uninformed. These chips all come off pretty much the same line. Each piece of silicon costs the same to manufacture. They are tested, binned and then tested again. A $1000 chip is $1000 becuase they know damned well it will be reliable at $1000 levels. It cost them the same as the $150 chip. The $150 chip might reach the $1000 level with tweaks and with better cooling. AMD makes far more money off a $1000 chip than a $150. Why do you think this thread even EXISTS???? Man. I need a drink.
But I think he was thinking more on the retailer side not thinking about AMD's profit margin.

Ok, I've been reading again, and dave knows I'm concerned about the supply of certain server components, but what's this I'm reading from the Inquirer about AMD completely stopping production of 939 Opterons. Help me out here, I'm not a nay sayer but I just trying to make sure there are enough Opty's around when I finally get enough money together to buy my own. Ed Stroligo over at overclockers.com has a good commentary on the situation here. The inquirer is pretty reliable when it comes to IT news, so what do you all think?

the last story I can remember that they reported on that failed to materialize was Intel's Tejas processor

Solar said:
the last story I can remember that they reported on that failed to materialize was Intel's Tejas processor

What about the 32 pipe R520?

ok ok, but they did say it would be delayed
Edit: serously though what do you think about this?

Solar said:
ok ok, but they did say it would be delayed
Edit: serously though what do you think about this?

I'm skeptical of the article only because they listed out all the E3 revision Venice chips individually by SKU and then just make a blanket 939 opteron statement. Why didn't they just say all E3 revision Venice PIB's or list out the Opteron SKU's?

Check quoted section. AMD discontinued the s939 3000+ a while ago. At the time the 3000+ was selling for 149, and the 3200 for 199. /me checks neweg.. on the 3200 is 149 now? Who woulda thunk that, just droping lowest chip and rolling prices down on whats ahead of that

freeloader1969 said:
Where in my post do you see me saying a single word about being greedy and cheap?
All because I said I'm fustrated with AMD end of lining the 3000+ and 3200+. That makes me cheap and greedy? I've bought more AMD chips over the last 3 years than I can even count. I build about 150-200 AMD systems per year. If AMD doesn't offer the 3000+ or 3200+ A64's and doesn't lower the price of the 3500 to replace those market segments, I will recommend other processors (cough, cough, Intel) for my customers. I absolutely will not recommend any Sempron processors to my customers. That's AMD's intentions and I as a consumer have all the power in the world over AMD (I shell out the money to purchase their product), they either sell me what I want or I purchase CPU's elsewhere.

People, I said I'm fustrated with AMD's execution basically. No one here needs to defend AMD. We all know at this time and probably into next year, they have a better product than Intel. IMHO, they're slipping on customer service/satisfaction. It's almost as if they're letting their short term success sabotage their long term success. That's all I have to say.

dave_graham said:
3.) Newegg, et al. will be effectively removed from the OEM processor sales of s939 Opterons. My district manager did not specify if this was also the case for retail procs, but he did emphasize that Newegg would not be getting these parts.

any idea on when this is supposed to happen?

Its been a month and Newegg seems to have plenty of them

Back