New AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12

I am having no real issues with the drivers just prior to Crimson. Aside from the compass glitch in FO4 and occasional weird flickering outlines in BF4.

Crimson really tore me a new one. Hard lock and weird crash. Had a hard time even booting into safe mode. Even system restore did not work entirely. I got a corrupted restore with some software randomly gone.

Report it on the form at the bottom of the driver page. So far I've only had problems with one game, but I figured it out pretty quickly.

what would hot keys be used for? i thought presets covered it all?

It looks like the Legacy driver has been updated as well. Hopefully this means continued semi-support of these cards.

what would hot keys be used for? i thought presets covered it all?

For some reason they removed the hot key option from the Presets. As if that was not enough, they also removed the Presets from the system tray icon. They give you these graphic and video profiles but not your own presets anymore. As if that was not enough, they also make you open the new Crimson interface and then you have to goto Additional Settings to open the old interface they now call Radeon Additional Settings just to select a preset. As if that was not enough, there is no longer a way to make a complete preset. It just creates little 1-4k files that save only the settings of the of the page you have open at the time. Dear God why???

So when I do something horrible and totally unusual (to Microsoft and video card manufactures apparently) like turn on another display or one off and my desktop goes ape shit I can’t just hit the old hot key to put it back. I also use them when I connect to the TV. Microsoft/AMD randomly decides to move or enable the video on the TV and having a hot key makes it livable. I’ve even got the hot key in my universal remote so I can switch to the TV as there is often no video to any of the displays.

Last edited:
I would put it into the error report that I linked above. Also hit up AMD on Twitter and explain why you need it. They also have an official AMD forums on their website for suggestions.

Been there done that, save for Twitter, as have others. They know people want it but have bigger fish to fry I guess. The preset save has not worked right for years and support told me they would fix it, oh well.

OK so I really don't know what is going on so please if somebody knows, help me out would you :)

I know that Unigine Valley is a fairly old benchmark, but I think it should stress my cards to the limit but it's not doing that.
Maybe it's a driver issue.
There's wild fluctuation in utilization between scenes, I tried to catch the scene average.

Scene 1: 83%
Scene 2: 63%
Scene 3: 75%
Scene 4: 97%
Scene 5: 88%
Scene 6: 45% (!)
Scene 7: 80%
Scene 8: 92%
Scene 9: 80%
Scene 10: 53%
Scene 11: 95%
Scene 12: 65%
Scene 13: 65%
Scene 14: 45% wtf
Scene 15: 95% wtf 2
Scene 16: 81%
Scene 17: 84%
Scene 18: 90%

I haven't touched any setting in control paneland it's a fresh install. CPU sits at around 20-25% @ 4.0GHz
As it is right now my cards are roughly 20-25% faster than my crossfired 7970GHz and 3570K. And that should not be right

edit: 1 core on the CPU goes up to 85-95%...is that enough for a CPU bottleneck?
edit 2: seems I answered my own questions. I bumped the CPU to 4.4GHz and the points went up accordingly. Seems like it's upgrade time! :p
edit 3: oh yeah definately CPU limited in Valley. Just ran Heaven and it's GPU limited.

Last edited:
what drivers are the most recommended?
I`m usually going with the latest but reading this forum make me feel that that is not the best choice.

I was thinking on going to the latest Catalyst (prior crisom) what version that would be? what do you think?

3rd world problems.

people here have exotic setups for the most part.

Rule of thumb is always use the latest beta if you can.

DDU takes literally seconds to wipe a bad driver.

Random but this driver doesn't work very well with Battlefront 2 (the one from ~2005). Had to roll back to previous drivers to fix red/purple/green ground textures.

Okay, a bit of a gripe. I'm used to seeing software versions with numbers like "v1.30". I'd call that "version one point three oh". But, you know, that's just me.

I see here (and on other websites) that AMD has a new version of their Crimson drivers, "v15.12".

Here's what I see when I open my Crimson Control Panel for my R9 390:

Now, maybe I'm daft, but I'd call that "v15.30". Or something. The "Check for Updates" function returns a statement that my drivers are up to date.

I'm thinking that I should run AMD's driver wiper tool and then try to reload drivers. Or, is this just some sort of AMD-specific naming scheme?

Thanks,
Ken

Basically it is just year and month 2015.12(dec) = 15.12 or so is common belief. Although I guess they could just use the third section after decimal to discern revisions such as 15.12.1.??? to 15.12.2.?? and so on.

^^^
Yeah, that's how they come up with "v15.12". I get that. But, looking at my "Currently Installed" software, it shows "15.30.1025-151117a-296575C".

How is that related to v15.12?

My current installed software has nothing close to the current driver version, yet it is up to date?

^^^
Yeah, that's how they come up with "v15.12". I get that. But, looking at my "Currently Installed" software, it shows "15.30.1025-151117a-296575C".

How is that related to v15.12?

My current installed software has nothing close to the current driver version, yet it is up to date?

15.30.xxxx is the display driver version.

15.12 is the 'package'/revision number.

RwPaD3B.png

15.30.xxxx is the display driver version.

15.12 is the 'package'/revision number.

RwPaD3B.png

THAT explains it. Thanks.

So....why is that I show 15.11 in that window and Crimson says that's up to date?

C'mon, AMD.

For some reason they removed the hot key option from the Presets. As if that was not enough, they also removed the Presets from the system tray icon. They give you these graphic and video profiles but not your own presets anymore. As if that was not enough, they also make you open the new Crimson interface and then you have to goto Additional Settings to open the old interface they now call Radeon Additional Settings just to select a preset. As if that was not enough, there is no longer a way to make a complete preset. It just creates little 1-4k files that save only the settings of the of the page you have open at the time. Dear God why???

So when I do something horrible and totally unusual (to Microsoft and video card manufactures apparently) like turn on another display or one off and my desktop goes ape shit I can’t just hit the old hot key to put it back. I also use them when I connect to the TV. Microsoft/AMD randomly decides to move or enable the video on the TV and having a hot key makes it livable. I’ve even got the hot key in my universal remote so I can switch to the TV as there is often no video to any of the displays.

I don't know why they removed the preset hotkey option, but your profiles can be activated through Windows shortcuts.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim\CLI.exe" Start Load profilename="PROFILE_NAME_HERE"
The profile name will be what you named it, in your Radeon Additional Settings Presets:
for example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim\CLI.exe" Start Load profilename="3 displays" in the Shortcut properties target line.

To make a shortcut:
Using Windows File Explorer
Right-click on CLI.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim directory
Select Create Shortcut and select the option to place the shortcut on your desktop

Right-click on the new shortcut and select properties
In the Shortcut tab Target box
add Start Load profilename="your preset profile name" at the end of: "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim\CLI.exe"
for example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim\CLI.exe" Start Load profilename="3 displays"
Click the OK box

If you would like to add a hotkey to the shortcut profile:
right-click on your shortcut and choose "Properties"
click on the "Shortcut key" box and press your desired keyboard shortcut. You can now click OK and this shortcut will be activated every time you press your chosen hotkeys.

I don't know why they removed the preset hotkey option, but your profiles can be activated through Windows shortcuts.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim\CLI.exe" Start Load profilename="PROFILE_NAME_HERE"
The profile name will be what you named it, in your Radeon Additional Settings Presets:
for example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim\CLI.exe" Start Load profilename="3 displays" in the Shortcut properties target line.

To make a shortcut:
Using Windows File Explorer
Right-click on CLI.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim directory
Select Create Shortcut and select the option to place the shortcut on your desktop

Right-click on the new shortcut and select properties
In the Shortcut tab Target box
add Start Load profilename="your preset profile name" at the end of: "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim\CLI.exe"
for example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim\CLI.exe" Start Load profilename="3 displays"
Click the OK box

If you would like to add a hotkey to the shortcut profile:
right-click on your shortcut and choose "Properties"
click on the "Shortcut key" box and press your desired keyboard shortcut. You can now click OK and this shortcut will be activated every time you press your chosen hotkeys.

Thanks, I did find that the other day. The other issue is that I can’t make a complete preset. I have backups of my old ones and they still work but it’s disconcerting to install new drivers and not be able to make a new preset for fear the old preset is trying to change some property that’s name has change or no longer has certain settings.

This broke some time ago with no documentation that I could find. AMD support told me they were working on it years ago but at some point the presets just started saving info of the page you were looking at in the CCC. The workaround I had been using with the old drivers was to change the mode in Preferences from Advanced to plane/simple whatever it was. Then if you went to the first section “Start” I think it was you would get a preset file with all the settings. This is also gone from the old CCC or “Radeon Additional Settings”. I guess I could see some folks wanting a preset that only change colors setting but I always want all the settings changed. Maybe you can combine them into one but even if that worked it would be a pain.

After seeing how to make the hot keys on short cuts I don’t see why that would remove that helpful feature from the preset configuration.

So what presets would you recommend for most users?

I just use the presets for switching from 1 to 3 monitors. It saves me several steps.

If you want to add AMD Radeon Settings, to the Windows desktop context menu:
Launch AMD Radeon Settings
Select Preferences
Select Radeon Additional Settings
Click on the Green Stick Pin, to add it to desktop context menu

Now anytime you right-click on the desktop, you'll have the shortcut to AMD Radeon Additional Settings

Back