New AMD FX chips coming out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Hi folks,

So I am going to build a cheap system for my nephew so he can do his multimedia encoding.
I am looking at the FX-8350 for him. Is there a newer chip coming out to replace the 8350?

Thanks...

Yes that is what I have heard, on track for 4Q2013 or around Christmas time same with the Radeon HD 9000 series(the not rebrands :p) I am looking forward to what steam roller is proposed to bring to the table overall, but we shall see.

Prices are pretty low on the Vishera chips for their performance, even if you get one now and have to update in Q4 I still think you will be pleased with your purchase.

yeh it was posted about somewhere in [H] forums, said it will be air cooled, however if it is not a wicked bin chip for lower power its going to be pushing a ton of heat and require a lot of juice to make it happen, also just looking into this, SR was last one this year AMD wanted to push so unless they are doing so fancy stuff in the next bit, seems like FX8350 will be top of their chain for the moment(well besides opterons of course) at least until October maybe?

I'd bet the farm that AMD is going to work in a Piledriver FX refresh before fall because I honestly don't think Steamroller FX is gonna hit retail before late 1Q14.

I agree, they are being hush hush, Even the Radeons were supposed to go 20nm but they apparently are deciding to stick with the 28nm(rumor) as Nvidia didn't push out a monster as much as they were anticipating, so they will basically be doing same thing Nvidia did but with more refined changes rather then just a performance bump.

Steam Roller is going to be a winner for them if they get everything working the way they would like. Anyways, FX8350 the other "possible" ones would be 8370, 8390 or centurion, Centurion is supposed to be optimized with a couple of extra things Steam Roller will be bringing, mostly just optimization for higher clock but lower power for that clock(in other words a highly binned-cherry picked chip) if it is just an optimization the prices shouldn`t be nuts however, if it was/is like the TWKR edition then that price calc goes out the window due to the extra binning stages and "love" if you will.

But I agree with you, if they want some extra attention from FX they need another FX83xx chip to add to the lineup as recently they have with FX4xxx and FX6xxx(forget which numbers they were sorry) before Steam Roller launches, might steal a few sales if the clocks are high enough/power reasonable.

The Centurion appears to be vaporware, as no new info about it has come out. It was probably just some site creating it to try to get hits.

There may be a Piledriver FX refresh like there was the Trinity to Richland refresh, but there hasn't been any information to suggest that that would be happening. Otherwise, Steamroller will be on the FX platform in 2014.

I appreciate the info everyone, thank you :)

The system I am building is a new rig for my nephews birthday. He is getting into a bunch of stuff in the same line of work I do (Video editing and 3d design) So I am going to build him a system with an FX-8350 and pair it with my old 580's that have been sitting in my closet for the last two years because I was too lazy to sell them because I moved and kept them in a shoebox. So the computer that is being replaced is an old C2Q-9560.

While the "Centurion" chip does look cool, it does not YET pique my interest as far as a personal purchase. I am getting the upgrade itch for my computer, but holding off until next year because I still get great performance out of my i7-980x paired with my Titans. If AMD is able to match, or even come close...I will def look into going back to an AMD chip in my next purchase.

The 8320 is a better value. With the 8350 you're basically paying them to raise the default multiplier a few ticks.

Centurion probably is vapor ware Tsumi but many places and people thought the same about the FX line making a return, the TWKR edition chip and numerous other things, even the 7990 was rumored to never see the light of day in a reference form, strange things happen, suppose it all depends on if yields are good enough, course if Asus can sell GPU at $1200 per then it would be a smart move for AMD to offer these l33t binned chips for a high fee(they need the cash for sure) and there will be folks to buy them, a lot of folks have complained that AMD needs that wicked high end enthusiast chip, Centurion or what have you would at least have some of that, very high clock speed at possibly reasonable power.

So after more thinking :D I am getting the upgrade itch myself. After giving it careful thought, I am considering getting an AMD FX-8350 system for myself. I will upgrade my current rig (Specs below in sig) to the AMD and pair it with my Titans.

What kind of performance bump do ya think I will get?

Also, please keep in mind that I am in more of a bang for your buck mode...and want to support AMD as I do like them as a company and want them to continue to making a good product. Intel will be around, and I like to change it up every once in a while...

So what ya think about going from a 980x to an FX-8350? I do a ton of multi-threaded stuff on my current rig as well...

So after more thinking :D I am getting the upgrade itch myself. After giving it careful thought, I am considering getting an AMD FX-8350 system for myself. I will upgrade my current rig (Specs below in sig) to the AMD and pair it with my Titans.

What kind of performance bump do ya think I will get?

Also, please keep in mind that I am in more of a bang for your buck mode...and want to support AMD as I do like them as a company and want them to continue to making a good product. Intel will be around, and I like to change it up every once in a while...

So what ya think about going from a 980x to an FX-8350? I do a ton of multi-threaded stuff on my current rig as well...

I wouldn't do that. Sidegrade at best. Of course I wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade from that to Haswell, either.

Wait for Ivy Bridge Extreme or whatever the next extreme platform is.

Well, now it looks like the Centurion is making a return. Still just rumors though, but this was found:

9f183e13_5ghz.jpeg

Aren't there supposed to be some Vishera refresh chips alongside the new Richland parts? With the "Piledriver 2.0" cores? Mostly better thermals and such, I don't think there's any huge IPC improvements, if any. Will probably have stock clocks bumped up and come in fancy new boxes.

I think the refresh parts might have gotten scrapped as SR will be out soon enough anyways, so they might end up launching 1 or 2 others as refresh and trial chips but who knows except AMD really

I think the refresh parts might have gotten scrapped as SR will be out soon enough anyways, so they might end up launching 1 or 2 others as refresh and trial chips but who knows except AMD really

2014 is 'soon'??

July is soon

2014 is ridiculous.

That will not improve performance at all. Although you should get some cash back.

I would have no problem at all with a 200W+ CPU provided the idle power is reasonable. On the high end we have 200W+ GPUs.

I beat it an error and should read 120w but then again you never know

Holy crap...220w TDP!

That's actually pretty amazing. The original Bulldozer 8150's were pulling ~600w @ 5GHz. I wonder how much overclocking headroom these new chips will have, assuming they're real.

Steamroller could be great if AMD manages another ~15% IPC bump and wattage reduction like Vishera.

I beat it an error and should read 120w but then again you never know

I kinda think so too. I'm sure it won't be an energy sipper but I wouldn't be surprised if it's lower than 220. Same with the price, I would be shocked if they come out and are at the rumored $700 price range.

600w that seems way excessive, how much do you think the socket can feed it straight up, I do not think it could give it 600w, 600 for full system maybe
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/zardon/power-consumption-fx-8150-v-i5-2500k-v-i7-2600k/
they do note their "test" systems, I did not read in there how they isolated the cpu, seeing as it said systems at stock and overclocked state.

Anyways, as for the 2014 date, probably, but then again I have also heard for Christmas time frame for both the new radeons and the cpus, so again who really knows but AMD. 980x from my understanding was/is faster then any FX chip there is save when they are overclocked to high heaven and even then you have a fast chip being ok on power to a really fast chip being awful hot and power hungry in comparison. I love AMD and I continue to use them, but you cannot expect something that just is not there now can you.

8350, but the one before that is excellent too, probably wouldn't shave off even a minute of encoding between the two. If he can afford the 8350, go for it.

Well, went ahead and did the upgrade to an FX-8350. It def feels snappier than my 980x. I have not overclocked it yet, because I am still using the stock cooler...and it is loud. But I did run the Unigine Valley benchmark, and here are the results...

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0

FPS: 67.1
Score: 2809
Min FPS: 21.2
Max FPS: 108.7
System Platform:
Windows 8 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (4013MHz) x4
GPU model: LogMeIn Mirror Driver 7.1.542.0/NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN 9.18.13.2018/NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN 9.18.13.2018 (4095MB) x2
Settings Render: Direct3D11
Mode: 2560x1600 4xAA fullscreen
Preset Custom Quality Ultra

From the last time I ran it in February with my Core i7 980x and 680's

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0
FPS: 45.2
Score: 1892
Min FPS: 14.9
Max FPS: 88.4
Platform:
Windows 8 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz (3340MHz) x6
GPU model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 9.18.13.1090/LogMeIn Mirror Driver 7.1.542.0/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 9.18.13.1090 (2048MB) x2
Render:
Direct3D11
Mode: 2560x1600 8xAA fullscreen
Preset Custom Quality Ultra

Needless to say, I am happy with the results so far. BF3 seems much quicker then my 980x for whatever reason. I am going to put a Corsair H80i cooler on it in a few weeks as I cannot stand the cpu fan that came with it.

Needless to say, I am happy with the results so far. BF3 seems much quicker then my 980x for whatever reason. I am going to put a Corsair H80i cooler on it in a few weeks as I cannot stand the cpu fan that came with it.

BF3 does benefit quite a bit from the extra cores. Hopefully more games and apps will follow suit. I'd imagine it's going to bottleneck your titans in less-optimized games though.

I don't know how much heat the H80i is capable of. With my custom water setup I can run at 1.45v/4.8 GHz year-round. In my experience overclocking the 8120 and 8320 is very, very easy up to 4.6 GHz. Just set the multiplier and keep raising the voltage until it's stable (or you max out your cooling solution).

Am I reading that correct, but you have a Titan now? Also, your original run was at 8xAA, the new one is 4xAA.

I'm glad you're enjoying the FX-8350, I'd like to pick one up myself. I don't think that that benchmark was showing any change from the CPU though

Oopps, I will have to rerun it again with 8x enabled, and yes, I do have Titans now. The only other games I play are Skyrim and Star Trek Online. Work def keeps me busy these days with our end of fiscal year on June.

Both Skyrim and STO play just as before. My main reason for moving from my 980x was basically more bang for my buck. It will be a sideways upgrade for me in some apps, but for my video crunching in Adobe Premier and After Effects, it does feel butter smooth. Games are always fun, but my machines makes money for me on the side. It will bottleneck with the Titans in unomptimized/ports/older games, but I will just turn off SLI in those cases.

The total cost of the upgrade was $550, so not bad, plus AM3+ will be around for another year and the FX series will be upgraded year end to where all I have to do is plop in a new processor.

Hi folks,

So I am going to build a cheap system for my nephew so he can do his multimedia encoding.
I am looking at the FX-8350 for him. Is there a newer chip coming out to replace the 8350?

Thanks...

For what its worth, I went with a 6350 in my build with a modest mobo ($110 GA-970A-UD3) for both my build and my friends build (built his for him). I got it to 4.8ghz without really even trying, and he seems to feel like his @ stock everything is much faster than his core2quad setup he had before. Point is, save some money if you feel like it and go with the 6350 then maybe pop in a steamroller down the line. At least that's the plan for me, and to be honest this 6350 has surprised me quite a bit with it's performance and ease of overclock (maybe I got lucky?) Either way if you go with the 8 core or 6, you'll have plenty for your nephews needs. :)

Last edited:
This whole thread reeks of TROLL bait.
I have a 980x and dual Titians, yet know nothing about PC's. Help me please :rolleyes:

This whole thread reeks of TROLL bait.
I have a 980x and dual Titians, yet know nothing about PC's. Help me please :rolleyes:

Totally! OP asked if a new processor was coming out anytime soon, what a jerk! How dare he ask if a new AMD chip will be released soon instead of purchasing an FX-8350. The nerve!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back