New AMD drivers seem to not support my 5770?

HvyMtl

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok,

Has anyone else attempted to update their 5770 ATI/AMD video card to the new drivers?

I have an HiS HD 5770 IceQ 5 Turbo graphics card. It will run with any of last year's drivers, but if I try the 13.1 driver, it has little pixel stripes approximately the size of the minus sign pop up, in random places, the stripes are different colors, then the screen goes black, and then the system reboots.
I have contacted HiS, and to my dismay, they are giving me the run around. (Basically saying it is my fault, as I have "tried too many drivers.")

So, does anyone know of a way to bypass HiS lack of tech support, and get actual answers?

Does anyone else have issues with the 5770 series and the new 13.1 drivers?

Is it my card, or a lack of AMD support for the 5770 series in their new drivers?

The second question comes from the "autodetection" route on AMD's website, that downloads the drivers from 7/2012, and not any 2013 driver.

Thoughts?

What is the latest version that works? The newer drivers could be pushing the card too much, causing the artifacting. I don't think HiS makes that great of cards. It may be poorly OCed.

I've never had the auto detect feature on AMD's site work great. Try removing all the drivers, then updating using Windows Update and use that driver to at least see what version and if it works for you. I will be the only person here telling you to do that, but I think it will work to at least get you a halfway decent updated driver. When a person inevitably pops in to say WU drivers suck, think about the 1 Billion + Windows PC's in the world that have direct access to the drivers and how the world would fall apart if they were actually bad drivers.

Hmm. Ok, I finally figured a way to make it work.

Downloaded the newest uninstaller from AMD. Used it. Rebooted, allowing the basic windows driver to install. Used CCleaner (there was some files left from 12.10.) Downloaded a fresh copy of 13.1.
Installed. 2 things seemed to have happened. 1) 12.10 did not completely uninstall, and 2) 13.1 download may have been corrupted...
So, it is working now... Tested with 3dmark11, 06, 03, and furmark, with no issues. World of Tanks plays fine. Have not tested my steam games yet, but it looks like I have fixed it.

Thanks for the suggestion. HiS has ZERO tech support. I described the issue, they tell me to use the drivers off the disk included when I purchased the card. I describe again, they suggest the drivers off their website (all older than 12.10.) I describe again, they say it is user error.
After threatening to request an RMA, and requesting a phone number to contact (their tech "support" is via web based email system) I finally get a screen shot from one of their "techs" of a 5770 (not the same model I own) running 13.1 in GPU-Z. He sent it via Hotmail. A professional bunch, no less.

I have been messaging back and forth with them since the 8th. And they responded this way, only after I request an actual phone number and threaten an RMA? Does this sound like a professional bunch to work with?

HiS is off my list of recommended manufacturers.

To be fair, they were correct, it was user error.

To be fair, it was an uninstall issue with 12.10, and a definite 13.1 corrupted download (for the lols, I just reinstalled the old 13.1 download, and the darn thing happened again.) Plus user error.

To be fair, their suggestions were useless.
To be fair, their responses were: Use the old driver. Then, use an even older driver. Then, use the oldest driver you have. Then, you have installed all these drivers? Your OS is corrupted, do a fresh Win 7 install.

Not ONE suggestion on how to deal with the 13.1 drivers not working on the video card. Not a single one.

I have no issues updating catalyst even with my ancient 4870... whenever it states to update I just let it do it's thing and call it a day. 5 year old hardware and still no issues...

To be fair, it was an uninstall issue with 12.10, and a definite 13.1 corrupted download (for the lols, I just reinstalled the old 13.1 download, and the darn thing happened again.) Plus user error.

To be fair, their suggestions were useless.
To be fair, their responses were: Use the old driver. Then, use an even older driver. Then, use the oldest driver you have. Then, you have installed all these drivers? Your OS is corrupted, do a fresh Win 7 install.

Not ONE suggestion on how to deal with the 13.1 drivers not working on the video card. Not a single one.
Anecdotes. Doesn't mean they are wrong. Causes may vary.

Um. They were wrong, cause I asked for assistance with the 13.1 drivers. They never helped with the 13.1 drivers. Instead of helping me for the specific question I asked, they told me to do things not related to the question. They gave non-answers. This type of tech support gives equipment manufacturers a bad name.
Useless tech support = frustrated customers = lost customers.

Back