New AMD Drivers Coming July 31st

As soon as I get home from work, I will post before and after results on my powercolor 7990 flashed to devil13

sweet, i'll check in for your review. if the 7990 is running good, then what does nvidia have that can best an $800 7990??

I'd also like to recommend some settings that REALLY maximize performance/smoothness (some of this is noob)

Registry Setting
-Disable ULPS

CCC Settings
-Power Control +%20
-AFR Friendly

Radeon Pro (Global Config)
-Flip Queue Size 0

Game Specific Config
-Pre Rendered Frames 0
-Triple Buffering Disabled

fuck that. Im telling you now. And you will find out soon, lightboost and frame pacing WORK VERY WELL ON AMD.

The 7970 is already a proven top card. Now it's a PROVEN top card with amazing crossfire and lightboost.

What stats are you waiting for?

yea i realize i'm a little too enthusiastic but... I bought my 7970s THE SECOND WEEK THEY CAME OUT (@$600 a pop) and stuck with them

All the haters can suck it now!:D I can't wait to test my MSI HD7950 TwinFrozr Boost Crossfire setup.

How much lower? Frame pacing will decrease FPS in order to smooth the frametimes, but only if your FPS is very high from what I know... aka >150.

This. People will see lower FPS but the frametimes will be much smoother.
This is a more of a product repair driver than a performance booster.

High FPS numbers doesn't mean you're getting the best experience.

All the haters can suck it now!:D I can't wait to test my MSI HD7950 TwinFrozr Boost Crossfire setup.

A) We weren't haters, we were pointing out real issues.

B) If we didn't point these issues out, you wouldn't have gotten the fixes ;).

Will these drivers finally allow P+L+P for Gaming on 20" + 30" + 20" triple screen monitor setups ?

AMD was the only company, that stated a couple years ago, they would come out with drivers to game om PLP setups eventually.

I think a special thanks to Scott Wasson from Techreport is in order, since he spearheaded the public awareness about frametimes. :)

Spearheaded the current storm about them, yeah, but some of us had known it was a big issue for years and years now. I agree it's great he got the public to realize it finally and get something done about it however.

For example I explained the issues with 2+ gpu setups, microstuttering, and runt frames (using a different term) back in June 2008 (5 years ago) to someone on this very forum, and I wasn't the first I'm quite sure: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032646366&postcount=4

GoldenTiger in June 2008 said:
It's inconsistency in the timing of frames from each card, resulting in "clumping" of the frames rendered, mainly caused by incorrectly divided workload due to how AFR works and its prediction model. So, if you're getting 100FPS on a single card, they'll be spaced about 10ms apart every time consistently. If you're getting 100FPS on a dual-card setup, you'll see frames at say 1ms into the second, three at 8ms, then no frame until 21ms, and then one at 22ms and 23ms, until the next one arrives at 31ms then 40ms then four at 45ms... when they occur within a millisecond or so of eachother it's too quick to help contribute to fluid motion. You might see the equivalent of 30FPS at times or 70FPS, resulting in a juttery experience and losing many of the gained frames, which while technically rendered, did you no good in actual gameplay. In addition, driver issues plague many multi-card setups, and scaling isn't double, it's more like 30% to 70% in the best cases.

So does this do anything for eyefinity setups? Or is this single monitor only? Honestly, I just played some BF3 and it feels mostly the same. Maybe a little better, but mostly the same.

Will these drivers finally allow P+L+P for Gaming on 20" + 30" + 20" triple screen monitor setups ?

AMD was the only company, that stated a couple years ago, they would come out with drivers to game om PLP setups eventually.

No, and no they didn't say that they would support it. Part of the driver team said they may look into it, but that's it.

Spearheaded the current storm about them, yeah, but some of us had known it was a big issue for years and years now. I agree it's great he got the public to realize it finally and get something done about it however.

For example I explained the issues with 2+ gpu setups, microstuttering, and runt frames (using a different term) back in June 2008 (5 years ago) to someone on this very forum, and I wasn't the first: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032646366&postcount=4

Microstutter has been discussed for a lot longer time then that. :)

[H] has used a manual evaluation over framerates for as long as I can remember and been against framerate being the most important thing.

Scott has for a couple of years now used frametimes as primary measurement over framerates and did spearhead the public awareness which led to a world wide focus on this, or the current storm as you put it.

Thats why I wish to especially thank him for this, even though this has been the focus for many over the years (including yourself as you point out). :)

Think the crossfire issue started with the 5k series....that will be 4 years ago next month.

Good to see AMD finally fixing the issue.

so if im using a single hd 7970 i should probably use this driver instead of 12.6 beta?

sorry kind of a noob when it comes to drivers.

so if im using a single hd 7970 i should probably use this driver instead of 12.6 beta?

sorry kind of a noob when it comes to drivers.

Its mostly for crossfire, but that dont mean it doesnt have performance increases or a fix for another game.

It's a beta driver, use at your own risk

For example I explained the issues with 2+ gpu setups, microstuttering, and runt frames (using a different term) back in June 2008 (5 years ago) to someone on this very forum, and I wasn't the first I'm quite sure: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032646366&postcount=4

don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

So does this do anything for eyefinity setups? Or is this single monitor only? Honestly, I just played some BF3 and it feels mostly the same. Maybe a little better, but mostly the same.

Eyefinity at large resolutions (above 1080p) will still have issues due to software compositing instead of CDMA, this driver can't fix that as it is more or less a hardware issue. Only XDMA support will help that. (what I'm referring to isn't microstutter, but rather odd frame-order patterns that occur)

I doubt it. Release notes are up:

Feature Highlights of The AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta Driver for Windows:

Support for AMD CrossFire™ Frame Pacing
Frame Pacing ensures that frames rendered across multiple GPUs in a CrossFire configuration will be displayed at an even and regular pace.
Enabled through the AMD Catalyst Control Center; Globally or on a per application basis.
Frame Pacing is enabled by default.
Supported for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications, and resolutions up to and including 2560x1600 (single display).
OpenGL 4.3 support – full support for the OpenGL 4.3 feature set
Performance improvements found in AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta for Windows:
Metro: Last Light – improves performance up to 7% on the AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series
OpenGL support for User Profiles and Catalyst Application Profiles:
Users can now create per application 3D setting profiles for OpenGL applications.
OpenGL applications are now supported through Catalyst Application Profile updates (for single GPU and AMD CrossFire configurations).
AMD Enduro Technology enhancement - Catalyst Control Center will now show which applications are active on the Performance GPU, and the Power-Saving GPU
Resolved issues:
Resolved crash when enabling AMD CrossFireX™ on some AMD 970 platforms
Improved stability for AMD Radeon HD 7790
Resolved intermittent mouse cursor corruption when rapidly moving the cursor across window borders
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/amdcatalyst13-8WINBetaDriver.aspx

Where's the support for 4k and other extreme resolutions? Bit disappointing since Eyefinity seems to work so much better than Surround.

This fix is based around standard CDMA crossfire which involves the crossfire band, once you hit a high enough resolution the bandwidth of the crossfire strap is exceeded, forcing the cards to use software compositing, which is glitchy and causes visual errors (but not necessarily microstutter).

Where's the support for 4k and other extreme resolutions? Bit disappointing since Eyefinity seems to work so much better than Surround.

I have no idea. Eyefinity is where two or more cards are most benificial. Perhaps they will mention this in the reviews and we'll know more. :)

If anyone runs across a review with frametime measurements, etc.., please post it I'd appreciate it.

I know this is bitching, but, I'm getting around Avg 110 FPS @ 2560x1600 with all settings maxed except motion blur, including ambient occlusion. Why do I need two cards for a single display. :p

EDIT: Playing BF3

EDIT 2: Hovers anywhere from 75 - 120, staying close to 96 FPS on Cannals (the only map I play)

EDIT 3: I'm playing without VSync, and I notice that when I see tearing, it's actually even spacing between the tear lines (as I see multiples because there I get soo many more frames then my display can show).

Last edited:
you need 2 7970s for 120FPS solid with 4xmsaa...

BS, I'm using 4xMSAA at 1600P and getting around 96 FPS. That still more headroom that 1080p 120Hz 4xMSAA.

EDIT: Though I realize that the game I'm testing does not exhibit the behavior of other games. I'm just a little pissed.

official tests of the new driver makes amd the fastest dual gpu card on the market for single displays (4k and eyefinity coming in the future)

This release does nothing for Eyefinity resolutions.
I am once again sitting here scratching my head.
The very thing crossfire was made for
Oh well....Ill wait....some more.

Microstutter has been discussed for a lot longer time then that. :)

[H] has used a manual evaluation over framerates for as long as I can remember and been against framerate being the most important thing.

Scott has for a couple of years now used frametimes as primary measurement over framerates and did spearhead the public awareness which led to a world wide focus on this, or the current storm as you put it.

Thats why I wish to especially thank him for this, even though this has been the focus for many over the years (including yourself as you point out). :)

Good points. I agree, as I said, he brought it to the forefront for sure.

don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

I wasn't, bub. I was pointing out that it has been a focus of a lot of people over the years, and as I said I was hardly the first guy to talk about it. It had nothing to do with "patting myself on the back" like you put it :rolleyes:. What exactly was the point of your post again?

Back